T Nation

John Cena's Workout Routine

Hi People

Some people might be interested, some not but i thought id post john cena’s workout program.
He is the star of the movie “THE MARINE”
John has been a bodybuilder ever since he was 14 years old and even competed in a few bodybuilding contests.
He has said many times that he never has taken steroids.

EXERCISE: SETS: REPS
DAY 1 legs & calves:

Seated calf raises 10 x 20-10
standing weightless calf raises 4 x 25
standing single-leg curls 4 x 20-25
leg presses 5 x 20
leg ext 4 x 15
squats 4 x 10
hack squats 3 x 15
supersetted with:
single-leg ext 3 x 10

DAY 2 chest

incline machine press 5 x 20
incline barbell press 5 x 20
machine flies 3 x 15
cable flies 3 x 15
bench 3 x 10

DAY 3: Arms

preacher curls 5 x 12
standing BB curl 3 x 10-12
seated DB curl 3 x 10-12
standing cable curl 3-4 x 12
rope pressdowns 3 x 20
supersetted with:
single-arm cable pressdowns 3 x 10
lying tricep ext 6 x failure
overhead cambered ext 3 x 20
seated BB ext 3 x 20
dips 4 x failure

DAY 4: Shoulders

rear delt machine flies 5 x 20
machine overhead press 5 x 20
machine side laterals 5 x 20
seated military 3 x 10
DB laterals 3 x 12
standing BB press 3 x 10

DAY 5: Back

Lat pulldowns 5 x 20
bent BB rows 5 x 12-20
1-arm DB rows 5 x 12-20
Deadlifts 4 x 8-15
high rows 4 x 20
pullups 4 x failure
shrugs 5 x 20

note: Cena does 1 set of 60 crunches for abs at the end of each workout

As with a lot of wrestlers he does not lift heavy weights.These wwe boys have some of the best body’s on the planet and hardly any of them lift heavy?

Peace

King of Kings

ok if any one reads this for the love of god and all thats holy dont watch THE MARINE

I don’t think it is the case that all WWE wrestlers go light, for one. Also, most likely have a degree of “enhancement” that helps out as well.

That being said, what I’m wondering about the outlined workout is whether it is shown in the order of exercises he actually does. If so, it’s an odd one to me since it puts things like bench press or squats or military press at the end of the workout.

Amazing what can be accomplished on a bad program (if this is indeed accurate) when you’ve got great genetics!

[quote]King of Kings wrote:
Hi People

Some people might be interested, some not but i thought id post john cena’s workout program.
He is the star of the movie “THE MARINE”
John has been a bodybuilder ever since he was 14 years old and even competed in a few bodybuilding contests.
He has said many times that he never has taken steroids.

EXERCISE: SETS: REPS
DAY 1 legs & calves:

Seated calf raises 10 x 20-10
standing weightless calf raises 4 x 25
standing single-leg curls 4 x 20-25
leg presses 5 x 20
leg ext 4 x 15
squats 4 x 10
hack squats 3 x 15
supersetted with:
single-leg ext 3 x 10

DAY 2 chest

incline machine press 5 x 20
incline barbell press 5 x 20
machine flies 3 x 15
cable flies 3 x 15
bench 3 x 10

DAY 3: Arms

preacher curls 5 x 12
standing BB curl 3 x 10-12
seated DB curl 3 x 10-12
standing cable curl 3-4 x 12
rope pressdowns 3 x 20
supersetted with:
single-arm cable pressdowns 3 x 10
lying tricep ext 6 x failure
overhead cambered ext 3 x 20
seated BB ext 3 x 20
dips 4 x failure

DAY 4: Shoulders

rear delt machine flies 5 x 20
machine overhead press 5 x 20
machine side laterals 5 x 20
seated military 3 x 10
DB laterals 3 x 12
standing BB press 3 x 10

DAY 5: Back

Lat pulldowns 5 x 20
bent BB rows 5 x 12-20
1-arm DB rows 5 x 12-20
Deadlifts 4 x 8-15
high rows 4 x 20
pullups 4 x failure
shrugs 5 x 20

note: Cena does 1 set of 60 crunches for abs at the end of each workout

As with a lot of wrestlers he does not lift heavy weights.These wwe boys have some of the best body’s on the planet and hardly any of them lift heavy?

Peace

King of Kings[/quote]

As a side note, Cena claimed on Howard Stern to by a lifetime natural and said he never tried steroids even once.

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
Amazing what can be accomplished on a bad program (if this is indeed accurate) when you’ve got great genetics!

King of Kings wrote:
Hi People

Some people might be interested, some not but i thought id post john cena’s workout program.
He is the star of the movie “THE MARINE”
John has been a bodybuilder ever since he was 14 years old and even competed in a few bodybuilding contests.
He has said many times that he never has taken steroids.

EXERCISE: SETS: REPS
DAY 1 legs & calves:

Seated calf raises 10 x 20-10
standing weightless calf raises 4 x 25
standing single-leg curls 4 x 20-25
leg presses 5 x 20
leg ext 4 x 15
squats 4 x 10
hack squats 3 x 15
supersetted with:
single-leg ext 3 x 10

DAY 2 chest

incline machine press 5 x 20
incline barbell press 5 x 20
machine flies 3 x 15
cable flies 3 x 15
bench 3 x 10

DAY 3: Arms

preacher curls 5 x 12
standing BB curl 3 x 10-12
seated DB curl 3 x 10-12
standing cable curl 3-4 x 12
rope pressdowns 3 x 20
supersetted with:
single-arm cable pressdowns 3 x 10
lying tricep ext 6 x failure
overhead cambered ext 3 x 20
seated BB ext 3 x 20
dips 4 x failure

DAY 4: Shoulders

rear delt machine flies 5 x 20
machine overhead press 5 x 20
machine side laterals 5 x 20
seated military 3 x 10
DB laterals 3 x 12
standing BB press 3 x 10

DAY 5: Back

Lat pulldowns 5 x 20
bent BB rows 5 x 12-20
1-arm DB rows 5 x 12-20
Deadlifts 4 x 8-15
high rows 4 x 20
pullups 4 x failure
shrugs 5 x 20

note: Cena does 1 set of 60 crunches for abs at the end of each workout

As with a lot of wrestlers he does not lift heavy weights.These wwe boys have some of the best body’s on the planet and hardly any of them lift heavy?

Peace

King of Kings

[/quote]

Good genetics and many times people overlook the benefits of high rep work to develope muscle mass. The repetition effort of Westside barbell is a very powerful mass building tool. I have used it with great success with high school and college athletes. We use it as just one of our tools not the only one.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I don’t think it is the case that all WWE wrestlers go light, for one. Also, most likely have a degree of “enhancement” that helps out as well.

That being said, what I’m wondering about the outlined workout is whether it is shown in the order of exercises he actually does. If so, it’s an odd one to me since it puts things like bench press or squats or military press at the end of the workout.[/quote]

For one i never said that ALL WWE wrestlers go light i said most.

Ive seen the program’s of

Randy orton (almost the same as cena’s)
HHH (sticks in the 10-12 rep range,not heavy at all)
Matt hardy(very high reps)
Batista (lots of supersets,but he use to be a powerlifter at 400 pounds)
Goldberg(lots of supersets)
Brock(heavy does 5 x 5 work plus heavy negatives
Edge (high reps trains a bodypart 2x weekly)
Bobby lashley(read HHH)

The reason they train so light is the wear and tear they take on their bodies plus being on the road 300 plus days a year.

My Staley
How would u improve his program given the above paragraph. His workouts take no longer than a hour.He has very little rest in between sets.John says it allows him to stay big even though he is not putting up big weights.

Side note: He eats mcdonalds 5x a week “lol” It would be nice to great genetics like cena eh?

Peace

King of Kings

Cena did say that he used to lift heavy, so that and his genes are probably what contributed to the majority of his mass. Now, he just has to maintain it and stay healthy for the show.
I think his words were something to this effect: “I’m not going to go in the gym and squat heavy for 3 reps and risk getting hurt. If I have to go to Vince and tell him I got hurt, it going to be because of wrestling, not lifting.” If anyone has the actual quote, feel free to post it, but this was the general idea of it.

lifetime drug free my ass

[quote]sigvarth wrote:
lifetime drug free my ass
[/quote]

What he said !!!

I saw a documentary on wrestling a while back when he was still trying to get into the WWE.

This seems pretty accurate though I did see him bust out a few triples when they showed him in the weight lifting portions.

Of course the weight he was moving with these high ass reps was incredible.

So for him this may work as he pretty much only wants to retain size and the rest of his job is basically rehearsing techniques and what not. He doesn’t need to get stronger just stay fucking huge(and maintain the strength he already has).

This would pretty much do the trick.

[quote]sigvarth wrote:
lifetime drug free my ass
[/quote]

Cena isnt 275 pounds at 3% body fat, he’s probably a solid 220 or so… Which is readily attainable by anyone training for as long as he has been.

[quote]sigvarth wrote:
lifetime drug free my ass
[/quote]

You don’t think this is attainable drug free?

Cena used to lift heavier when he was in college and on the football team (several of my friends were teammates of his). He also competed in some natural BB shows in the Mass. area in college.

While not all WWE guys use high volume, a lot do. Some have stated its for injury prevention and others have said its for muscle endurance.

The fact that he eats McDonald’s 5 times a week is crazy, considering he’s in such good shape. You’d think eventually that diet would catch up to him.

[quote]Roland Fisher wrote:
sigvarth wrote:
lifetime drug free my ass

You don’t think this is attainable drug free?[/quote]

What is attainable and what he has done are possiby two different things.

With the travel requirements, getting beat up in the ring and the less than stellar diet he is forced to eat I suspect he is not drug free.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
sigvarth wrote:
lifetime drug free my ass

Cena isnt 275 pounds at 3% body fat, he’s probably a solid 220 or so… Which is readily attainable by anyone training for as long as he has been. [/quote]

Agreed, he’s not a mass monster or anything. I can’t stand it when people automatically yell “he’s on roids!” Maybe he trains his ass off. Maybe he has an impeccable diet. Maybe he has great genetics. Maybe he has or does all of the above. But just because he has a build that some would envy, doesn’t mean he got that way using drugs.

It’s called hard work a dedication. Something a lot of people don’t have.

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
Amazing what can be accomplished on a bad program (if this is indeed accurate) when you’ve got great genetics!

[/quote]

Yes, just think: if he had employed you as a coach, he might have achieved an award-winning physique, become WWE champion, and had a major motion picture coming out.

I can seen Cena being on some sort of anabolics; not to knock him and say he doesn’t work hard or have solid genetics. Then again, he may not use very much at all or even none. Look at the size of his hands. He’d be a big guy with or without steroids; probably in the neighbourhood of 220 lbs.

I’d say he’s not THAT much bigger than 220, but he’s a bit bigger right now. The WWE, like most teams in professional sports, obviously exagerates height and weight. I think he’s listed around 245-250.

The thing is this: he may eat McDick’s five days a week, but genetics and a little assistence can certainly help you get rid of that. Of course, his blood work numbers are probably shitty. I can see him having health problems with that shitty diet and possible painkillers he uses or, at some point, may take.

Even still, for the money and fame he is acheiving, I am sure many people would use a little chemical assistence and put a little wear-and-tear on the body. Good for him that he’s branching out into movies (even if they’re bad ones).

Some people seem to get bent out of shape when claims of using AAS are made, but the truth is a LOT of people use them and some of these people do not look like they have even touched a weight.

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
Amazing what can be accomplished on a bad program (if this is indeed accurate) when you’ve got great genetics!
[/quote]

This isnt a knock or being sarcastic or anything like that, Charles.

How would you train someone who literally travels (flying and driving) 300+ days a year, who gets minimal sleep, has appearances every few days, has to have his body in the most asthetic state imaginable and also be able to take an immense pounding 3 days minimum out of the week and has no time to prepare meals or carry prepared meals?