Joel Marion's Stripped Down Hypertrophy

Whats the general consensus on this plan? I’m going for size an aethstetic mass gaining for now.
link: http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/stripped_down_hypertrophy&cr=bodybuilding

Tried it. Hated it. Overtraining and no fun.

Tried it in February and loved it. I had the time and energy and went after it. I guess the question is for each of us is, “will five days a week be too much?”

If not, rock it out and have a blast. Love the Marion programs.

Im loving it. Its just really tough to keep making improvements from week to week.

I think it has the possibility to work great, just take off the fifth day in my opinion. I think the fifth day will be too much for most people

I really liked the program. I would have liked it more if I was eating more. I raised my calories twice over four weeks, and it still wasn’t enough.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
I think it has the possibility to work great, just take off the fifth day in my opinion. I think the fifth day will be too much for most people[/quote]

I will second this. I did the five days for a few weeks but dropped down to four afterwards. I really liked the program, and I tend to recover quickly, but I tried to increase weight or reps on everything, every time and that fifth day was too much. (There is a good chance I should have been eating more.)

My only other complaint (waahh!) is that it does not leave much room for more specialized movements. I needed to work in some exercises such as face pulls and did not think it fit well in that program. After some experimentation I switched to EDT. I will go back to SDH after my three to four weeks on EDT.

i might give this a go. how were your overall gains?

I only did it for three weeks and I really enjoyed it. I felt like I was getting close to overtraining thats why I ended it after three weeks. I did increase my strength tho which I was really happy about. I increased my carb intake on the program and went 3 days on 1 day off 2 days on 1 day off. The only thing I didnt like is that it can be tough on the joints or at least in my experience.

Group 1

A1) flat barbell benchpress
A2) seated row (or should I do something else)
B) back squat

Group 2

A1) dip widegrip
A2) pullup widegrip
B) deadlift conventional

How does that sound?

[quote]GSUPike wrote:
The only thing I didnt like is that it can be tough on the joints or at least in my experience.[/quote]

I’ll second that opinion. One of my core lifts was flat bench and after a couple of weeks my shoulders were screaming at me. Changed to decline bench.

Other than that, I thought it was an effective program. Can really help gain some mass if your current training is different from this program and you eat enough.

Oh, and I could never do the program as fast as prescribed (don’t quite remember, but I think it was supposed to be done in 40-50 minutes). I think I usually took an hour. I found that I could not handle good poundages on 5x5 portion with only 60 seconds rest between sets. The longer rest did not seem to hamper my progress, though.

For bodybuilding (natural) purposes, it doesn’t pass the smell test. Just my opinion. I suppose that it’s because you have both volume and frequency jacked up. Where’s the recovery?

[quote]T3hlulzkiller wrote:
Group 1

A1) flat barbell benchpress
A2) seated row (or should I do something else)
B) back squat

Group 2

A1) dip widegrip
A2) pullup widegrip
B) deadlift conventional

How does that sound?[/quote]

I believe in the article discussion Joel recommends not doing a squat and deadlift in the same program at the same time. So maybe go with squat the first three weeks and deadlift the following three weeks. It’s a lot of stress on the lower back to do them concurrently.

I switched it to dumbell swings.

I did and it like it quite a bit. I had to bump up my calories, though. I saved my shoulders by using an incline DB bench press. I didn’t have any problems whatsoever and I had strained my rotator cuff in Decemeber (did the program in March)

I did and it like it quite a bit. I had to bump up my calories, though. I saved my shoulders by using an incline DB bench press. I didn’t have any problems whatsoever and I had strained my rotator cuff in Decemeber (did the program in March)

After finishing the HST routine i’m doing now, i’m really considering doing this or something like Waterbury high frequency 5x a week program. Altough i’m enjoying HST results i will not repeat it now because currently i have time and energy to try something crazy like this and see what happens. Seems like most who tried it are giving some positive feedback. I’m curious to know which exercises you guys used in this routine…

A1 DB Flat Bench
A2 BB Bent over row
B Back Squat

A1 Pull up
A2 Cuban Press
B DB Snatch

Close Grip Bench
DB Rows
Front Squats

Dips
Pullups
Deadlift

Results were good, but my joints were in hell.

I just started it today… before I did CW’s 25 program and for a few weeks I bumped up the frequency to four sessions a week to hopefully get at least a little prepared. We’ll see if that does me any good.