Joe Frazier

One of the best and often overlooked by young people (I hate young people). If I ever boxed, I’d want to box like him and Tyson.

Tyson got his hook punch technique from watching films of Frazier. Frazier was a great fighter.

It is because of the greatness of Frazier, that I think the two round beatdown George Foreman put on him in their first fight makes Foreman the scariest heavyweight in boxing history. George beat Joe like a redheaded stepchild.

Tyson never dominated someone that good, that badly.

I like Frazier also. Though the only similarities between him and Tyson are height and weight. Different fight styles. There are more similarities between Floyd Patterson and Tyson, both having been trained by Cus. Floyd was just a bit small for HW.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Tyson got his hook punch technique from watching films of Frazier. Frazier was a great fighter.

It is because of the greatness of Frazier, that I think the two round beatdown George Foreman put on him in their first fight makes Foreman the scariest heavyweight in boxing history. George beat Joe like a redheaded stepchild.

Tyson never dominated someone that good, that badly.[/quote]

Michael Spinks was a pretty damn good fighter. There were guys picking Spinks in that fight.

I don’t think Tyson was the greatest HW ever. But he didn’t beat up bums either. He beat some good fighters. Joe Louis also.

Frazier was a great fighter. A class act, too. Unfortunately, he was just a little too reliant on one punch.

True story: I played blackjack with Smokin’ Joe and few memebers of his crew when he was in my hometown doing an appearance at the Boxing Hall of Fame.

Real cool guy. That is, until he started losing a bunch of hands to me :slight_smile: He told some great stories and I wrangled an autograph out of the deal.

[quote]Sifu wrote:

Tyson never dominated someone that good, that badly.[/quote]

Was it necessary to post that link? That’s fucked up. I should change my avatar to “What What in the Butt”.

[quote]otoko wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Michael Spinks was a pretty damn good fighter. There were guys picking Spinks in that fight.

I don’t think Tyson was the greatest HW ever. But he didn’t beat up bums either. He beat some good fighters. Joe Louis also. [/quote]

Spinks was a good fighter, but he was not one of the top ten best ever like Frazier. Spinks was good but he was not in the same league as Frazier.

Frazier fought and beat Muhammad Ali before he fought Foreman. Spinks fought a bunch of nobodies before he fought Tyson. Spinks took the middleweight gold medal at the Montreal Olympics. Frazier took the heavyweight gold at the Tokyo Olympics.

Frazier was still in his prime and his biggest win was against Ali who was probably the best ever and still in his prime. That is why I say that Frazier vs Foreman fight was so impressive. Frazier was one of the greatest ever but Foreman demolished him like Tyson demolished chumps.

That is why I say that win over Frazier makes Foreman probably the scariest heavyweight ever.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Was it necessary to post that link? That’s fucked up. I should change my avatar to “What What in the Butt”.[/quote]

I’m sorry Wol. Misses Frazier was a teacher at my school when I was a kid. I can still remember the party she threw when he defeated Ali. I have much respect for Frazier.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
otoko wrote:
Sifu wrote:

I don’t think Tyson was the greatest HW ever. But he didn’t beat up bums either. He beat some good fighters. Joe Louis also.

Spinks was a good fighter, but he was not one of the top ten best ever like Frazier. Spinks was good but he was not in the same league as Frazier.

Frazier fought and beat Muhammad Ali before he fought Foreman. Spinks fought a bunch of nobodies before he fought Tyson. Spinks took the middleweight gold medal at the Montreal Olympics. Frazier took the heavyweight gold at the Tokyo Olympics.

Frazier was still in his prime and his biggest win was against Ali who was probably the best ever and still in his prime. That is why I say that Frazier vs Foreman fight was so impressive. Frazier was one of the greatest ever but Foreman demolished him like Tyson demolished chumps.

That is why I say that win over Frazier makes Foreman probably the scariest heavyweight ever.
[/quote]

Also, Ali beat Foreman. But here was his game plan: Cover up, take a lot of shots, and pray that George gets tired. Then I’ll knock him out…hopefully.

Ali won that fight by survival.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Was it necessary to post that link? That’s fucked up. I should change my avatar to “What What in the Butt”.

I’m sorry Wol. Misses Frazier was a teacher at my school when I was a kid. I can still remember the party she threw when he defeated Ali. I have much respect for Frazier.
[/quote]

Good to hear. I’ll keep the avatar.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
otoko wrote:
Sifu wrote:

[/quote]

I agree for the most part. Except that Spinks beat a 48-0 Larry Holmes, who was one of the best HWs ever. Twice. Then knocked out Gerry Cooney. First LHW champ to be HW champ.

[quote]otoko wrote:
Sifu wrote:

I don’t think Tyson was the greatest HW ever. But he didn’t beat up bums either. He beat some good fighters. Joe Louis also. [/quote]

Tyson beat a lot of bums when he earned his reputation.

ESPN Classic often replays his fights and his early competition is laughable.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
True story: I played blackjack with Smokin’ Joe and few memebers of his crew when he was in my hometown doing an appearance at the Boxing Hall of Fame.

Real cool guy. That is, until he started losing a bunch of hands to me :slight_smile: He told some great stories and I wrangled an autograph out of the deal.[/quote]

The HOF in Canestota? I have never been but I used to always drive by when they were building it.

Were you at Turning Stone?

[quote]Sifu wrote:

[/quote]

I agree with this.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
otoko wrote:
Sifu wrote:

[/quote]

I agree with this.

I love Joe Frazier. The night of that first fight with Ali, nobody was touching him… he coulda shook a building with that left hook, and he just looked awesome.

HBO had a documentary on it a while ago that was very well done. I advise anyone to see it.

Tyson was great, but he’s more of a “coulda been the greatest” than Frazier, who is one of the greatest of all time, in the top 5.

Frazier showed heart that Iron Mike didn’t have in him… a 15 round brawl with Ali would have demolished Tyson. They are two different classes of fighters.

Foreman’s ass beating of Frazier is the most dominant performance in fight history. Not simply because of the fashion it was done in, but because of the great stature of both guys at the time and what that win meant. It would be like somebody beating the Patriots 120-0 in the super bowl.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

Real cool guy. That is, until he started losing a bunch of hands to me :slight_smile: He told some great stories and I wrangled an autograph out of the deal.

The HOF in Canestota? I have never been but I used to always drive by when they were building it.

Were you at Turning Stone?[/quote]

Yes, it was the Turning Stone. Zap, you still live in Upstate, NY?

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

Yes, it was the Turning Stone. Zap, you still live in Upstate, NY?[/quote]

No but I was up there a couple weeks ago for the first time in years and drove by both those places.

How is the Boxing HOF? Is it worthwhile?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

Yes, it was the Turning Stone. Zap, you still live in Upstate, NY?

No but I was up there a couple weeks ago for the first time in years and drove by both those places.

How is the Boxing HOF? Is it worthwhile?[/quote]

I honestly have been to the HOF in a decade. Back then, the thing wasn’t bigger than a large shed. From what I’ve heard it’s better than what it was, but I don’t think it’s something worth going out of your way to see.