T Nation

Joe Biden

The silence is deafening in here!!! What is the matter with my fellow Good Guys? Do you mean to tell me that joe biden says: “I mean, you’ve got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice looking guy” and there is silence???

This guy is one of the mouthpieces of the democratic party!!! He’s running for the Presidency?

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF TRENT LOTT HAD SAID THIS???

Seriously, that is a horrible and condescending comment.

NOT A WORD FROM pOX?
What a hypocrite.

Imagine bradley’s glee?

This guy should be run out of town.

Did you hear his lame-ass attempt at damage control? What an insult.

JeffR

Joe Biden has put his foot in his mouth so many times in the past I am not at all surprised by his moronic comment.

The man oozes contempt for everyone from every pore.

Now that he is running for president all of America will see what a low-life he really is.

I would vote for Hillary and Obama twice rather than vote for Biden.

Pretty hilarious, and blatant. But not terribly surprising. I wouldn’t look for a lot of mainstream coverage. Of course as you say, it would be a totally different story if it were Huckabee, or Tancredo, or anyone else in the country with an ® after their name.
Blah blah blah, double standard, etc. It doesn’t even warrant pointing out any more.
Check out how hard US News is trying to fix this for Biden, they’ve practically graphed out the sentence for you and everything. Too bad it’s always a backhanded insult to refer to anyone of color as ‘articulate’ or ‘clean’. Guess Biden forgot.

Source:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070201/1biden.htm

pox,

I know you are here.

You post at all times and at all hours.

I’m waiting.

JeffR

I think Biden will be an early exit in the Primaries…

Mufasa

I don’t think Biden will be around long. He has ambitions and a ton of foreign policy experience, but he isn’t presidential timber.

And he can’t shut his mouth - but hey, in a day and age when we complain that politicians won’t truly say what is on their mind, I give Biden at least a little credit for being blessed with his level of candor - even if I think what he says is manure.

Well, that wasn’t the only statement that Biden made that got him into some hot water.

Maybe, just maybe, people should try to look a little deeper at the candidates than whether they utter something stupid once in a while.

After all, where does that leave Bush for you hypocritical ass-munches?

Seriously, if you don’t eventually start thinking about the candidates, and the policies they propose, and consider their records a bit more carefully, you’ll continue to get a bunch of losers running the show.

Oh, never mind, it’s not worth my time…

[quote]vroom wrote:
Well, that wasn’t the only statement that Biden made that got him into some hot water.

Maybe, just maybe, people should try to look a little deeper at the candidates than whether they utter something stupid once in a while.

After all, where does that leave Bush for you hypocritical ass-munches?

Seriously, if you don’t eventually start thinking about the candidates, and the policies they propose, and consider their records a bit more carefully, you’ll continue to get a bunch of losers running the show.

Oh, never mind, it’s not worth my time…[/quote]

Are you saying the members of this forum are underly critical of political candidates? Care to throw up a candidate whose policies and records haven’t been criticized enough? I think more than one of us will be happy to oblige.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
I don’t think Biden will be around long. He has ambitions and a ton of foreign policy experience, but he isn’t presidential timber.

And he can’t shut his mouth - but hey, in a day and age when we complain that politicians won’t truly say what is on their mind, I give Biden at least a little credit for being blessed with his level of candor - even if I think what he says is manure.[/quote]

I have seen some of his speeches and seen him on TV…I agree with most of his stances.

A politician, however, he is not. He will learn that you can’t say shit like that and not expect to get roasted…dumbass.

[quote]lucasa wrote:
Are you saying the members of this forum are underly critical of political candidates? Care to throw up a candidate whose policies and records haven’t been criticized enough? I think more than one of us will be happy to oblige.[/quote]

I’m saying that people focus on the trivia, the soundbites, the spin, the sleezy discrediting attempts, and don’t look at the important things.

Did Biden put his foot in his mouth? Sure! Does he have anything useful to say? We’ll probably never find out…

[quote]vroom wrote:

Oh, never mind, it’s not worth my time…[/quote]

And that’s really saying something, given your posting history.

[quote]vroom wrote:

Did Biden put his foot in his mouth? Sure! Does he have anything useful to say? We’ll probably never find out…[/quote]

I feel the same way about Trent Lott.

Can we just cut to the chase here? JOE BIDEN IS BRAIN-DAMAGED. Literally. He had a stroke that left his brain screwed up. The vernacular in the medical community for the strange, unpredictable results is called “word soup”. Add that to the fact that he was never particularly bright before his CVA (except in his own mind), and you get the weirdness that is Joe Biden.

It’s not like he’s tongue tied (W); he’s like a slightly dim Jim Carrey in Liar Liar. You get him together with Patrick Leahy and you have the brainpower of your average Guernesey cow. Good for chewing cud and pooping, but not exactly guys that are likely to solve the latest MENSA puzzle.

He has exactly zero chance of winning the primary. He is not a serious candidate, he wouldn’t even win his home state.

Any dem on this board who wants to come to his defense with some lame-ass excuse about mis-speaking, must first write 100000000000 apologies on the blackboard to George Bush for the last six years.

Foot-in-mouth. Politicians do it all the time.

If someone with the English ability of Mr. Bush Jr. can be elected president, this dumb ass has a shot as well.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I would vote for Hillary and Obama twice rather than vote for Biden.[/quote]

Irony.

[quote]JeffR wrote:
The silence is deafening in here!!! What is the matter with my fellow Good Guys? Do you mean to tell me that joe biden says: “I mean, you’ve got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice looking guy” and there is silence???

This guy is one of the mouthpieces of the democratic party!!! He’s running for the Presidency?

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF TRENT LOTT HAD SAID THIS???

Seriously, that is a horrible and condescending comment.
[/quote]

It seems to me that it’s all the objection to that that is racist.

If he’d said the exact same thing about a white guy no one one would have batted an eye. It might have been considered a stupid compliment, but no one would have been upset by it and would have understood the point trying to be put across.

Some people are more articulate than others. Being good at that is something that can be pointed out and complimented.

Some people are brighter than others. Ditto with regard to complimenting that.

Some people, not in the sense of people on average being dirty, but in a sense of subjective impression, some people are just exceptionally clean-looking. A sharp Felix Unger sort of look. If I had to say what actor Obama physically reminds me of and looks similar to in a suit, Tony Randall as Felix Unger is a top pick, actually. Having that kind of look instead of seeming disheveled or just ordinary in appearance is probably a plus for a politician.

Some people are nicer looking than others. Untrue?

Again, none of this would have batted an eye if said about a white guy.

So far as POLITICIANS go, is the comment that Obama is, in Biden’s opinion, the first black politician to be “mainstream” and have all these attributes, not just some, really racist of him, or is quite plausible he can’t think of any politician having all that?

MLK had all that, Will Smith has all that, many black men have all that, but these aren’t politicians. And though he didn’t say so explicitly, I think it’s absolutely obvious that Biden was talking about politicians. Not saying that nowhere in America was there any black person but Obama that had all these particular qualities. That would be reaching for the ridiculous to think that was his intent.

Most black politicians have chosen not to be mainstream, and so are instantly not in the running for what Biden is talking about. Maybe everyone Biden can think of is off, at least compared to Obama, in one or more of those categories. For example most people are average dressers and aren’t super-sharp looking (which is what I believe he meant by saying “clean.”)

Including politicians of any race, the only one I can think of besides Obama that fits all those IMO is Romney (who carries the “clean” to being just unbelievably every-hair-exactly-in-place.) I can see what Biden meant.

It’s not an insult to everyone else, it’s an observation about Obama’s qualities. Stupidly put, but I don’t think racist.

As to the fact that Trent Lott would have been crucified for anything similar, true, but two wrongs don’t make a right. Doesn’t mean Biden should be also. I don’t think he’s racist from that or any other reason I know of.

What is racist to me is that white people are not allowed to say that a black man is articulate.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Gael wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I would vote for Hillary and Obama twice rather than vote for Biden.

Irony.[/quote]

Well, I did vote for Hillary once since the post.