T Nation

Jobs During College

I’m looking for job ideas for a college student. Since I will be starting school for the first time in 3 years I want to keep my working hours to a minimum so I can focus on studying. I’m thinking no more than 20 hours/week. Since high school I have done landscaping, an electrical apprenticeship, and now work as a sales associate at Sears. I’m going to school for Business Admin. I basically just need to make enough money to pay for insurance and gas.

Any ideas ? What did you guys do for work through school?

Thanks

work at a restaurant. The tips are usually pretty decent and you’ll be able to work at night or in the day if they serve lunch and dinner. Plus, you’ll always have some cash on you at the end of the day and it’s easy as shit to do, although sometimes it can get a bit hectic.

You could also try the school’s gym. Most colleges have pretty nice gyms and hire students to work there. They usually look toward the exercise science students, but give it a shot. You’ll be around a lot of hot chicks too.

I prostituted myself out to older women in the area when I was in college. If you’re willing to let a 55 y/o who’s shit out four kids sit on your face for a hundred bucks or so, you can’t beat this.

Ya, I was thinking of serving, maybe even trying to get into bartending. Anybody have any tips for breaking into the bar? From what I here it’s pretty competitive. Not to sound like a narcissist but I think I got what it takes- I can work very fast, am personable, and reasonably good looking…

Thoughts?

Bounce at a bar and/or gentleman’s club.

During university I worked doing retail, working for the school, cooking, bouncing, and bartending. I would say bartending and bouncing are the two best of those, granted, if you aren’t good at keeping your cool stay away from bouncing. You can’t just kick stupid people in the face like the movies.

As far as breaking into the bar, look for places that are hiring, and places that aren’t hiring. Talk to the bar manager. If he happens to be a pudgy mama’s boy type, compliment him on the hideous tie and or shirt he is wearing. Make sure you know how to make drinks, or at least have a good idea what they are so you can make a good approximation. Lastly, know the type of place before you go in there to talk to a manager. Match your look to the place. Just basic stuff, if you’re looking at a metal bar don’t go in a polo and chinos with your hair parted; if you’re looking at a country club don’t go in in jeans and and a t-shirt. And definitely look at country clubs, they are almost always looking for people, the pace is usually a bit slower, and you won’t be at work until the wee hours of the morning.

I’m a dish washer. ten hours on your feet ruins your weekend lol. Id much rather do something else where I can sit occasionally and my job ends at the same time…all the time. My hours can flux by as much as three hours…in at 3 and out between 11-1:30. sucks

bartending is a bad idea especially if you’re seriously trying to go to school. I have a friend and two cousins that bartend… the hours are just ridiculous and are not student friendly at all. Not sure what school you’re going too but my friend could only bartend during the summer… during the school year it was pretty much impossible.

Find a job on campus… they know you’re a student and are good about the hours etc…

Agreed being a bouncer/bartender can be rough, so unless you are only working weekends and don’t mind staying up til 4am in some cases… then go for it. Look for jobs through your school.

Costco is always looking for people this time of the year. Just before summer when things pick up. Try there. The pay is pretty awesome compare to my other college friends (Here,You start out at 11.25/hr and they are incredibly flexible. (My schedule changes every 11 weeks and they are fine with that.) The thing is,your probally going to end up being a stocker like me since they look for guys that look like they can work so you hours will be either from 2 in the morning to 10 or 2 in the afternoon to 10 on the weekdays and 11 in the morning to 8 on the weekdays.

Look at your school’s academic and career advising office. They almost always have some postings about jobs both internal and external.

Learn a few programming languages (PHP, Java, Groovy, Ruby, Python, to name a few) and code away. Rentacoder.com might be a good start, but maybe you’ll be able to make yourself indispensable to a local company.

You don’t need to be good in maths for that kind of shit. Programming requires creativity and sometimes thinking outside the box. Skills everyone can muster.

That’s what I did when I was studying: helped me to focus on my training.

[quote]PaddyM wrote:
Look at your school’s academic and career advising office. They almost always have some postings about jobs both internal and external.
[/quote]

I agree, there might be a paying internship you can find through the school. Make some money and get experience to put on that resume.

[quote]Amiright wrote:
bartending is a bad idea especially if you’re seriously trying to go to school. I have a friend and two cousins that bartend… the hours are just ridiculous and are not student friendly at all. Not sure what school you’re going too but my friend could only bartend during the summer… during the school year it was pretty much impossible.

Find a job on campus… they know you’re a student and are good about the hours etc… [/quote]

Could not disagree more. Clearly your cousin’s like to whine and have no time management skills. If the club is only open on weekends suck it up. If its open all week 1. it wont go to last call every night and 2. schedule your shit properly.

It oodles of cash and saves you from spending money at night. Its PERFECT for school. The only issue is breaking it. It basically comes down to you either need experience or a connection.

I’ve worked in bars for the last 2 years while attending school. Don’t regret the decision for a second. 15-20 hours a week pays the rent comfortably while leaving time for school.

[quote]FattyFat wrote:
Learn a few programming languages (PHP, Java, Groovy, Ruby, Python, to name a few) and code away. Rentacoder.com might be a good start, but maybe you’ll be able to make yourself indispensable to a local company.

You don’t need to be good in maths for that kind of shit. Programming requires creativity and sometimes thinking outside the box. Skills everyone can muster.

[/quote]

Something about your picture has me convinced you’ve pulled a poltergeist and your eyes are staring at me from under the black cut out. It haunts me.

I basically would work all summer and use that money to pay for the rest of the year, while supplementing a little with with student loans and scholarships.

Places to check:

• provincial/government websites (seasonal openings, like maintenance workers, etc, usually pay very well)

• large companies hiring summer students (for business admin you could definitely find something here) for example, I worked at Shell last summer as a programmer analyst summer student. which was basically me getting paid decent coin to sit around and make useless reports)

• FSWEP http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/fswep-pfete/index-eng.htm (Got me a job 2 years in a row, right where I live, and within my subject area)

• labor jobs. I landscaped for one year at around 14$/hr and the last month of the summer I landed a private job using the skills I learned and made about $5000 for one month.

Considering you only work to pay for insurance/gas for the year, just work in the summer and take sept-april off. Was a lot more fun that way. Plus, summer student positions and FSWEP jobs can help you get your foot in the door for when you finish.

Ideally get an internship that pays. Engineers can usually do this and make loot while living the college life.

Service industry is great. I mean sometimes it can really suck depending on who you work with. Usually you know someone, have tits, or work your way up to bartending. You dont have tits. That i know of.

Being a server is good money at the right place… good to get some experience at a chain place and move on to fine dining and you can walk away with a couple hundred a night. Lots of chicks too… and no matter what industry you go in, customer service skills reflect well on you. Not that that is so important when you can make money and bang broads from work.

Sell pot.

Deliver pizza, if your in Vancouver you will push $16~ w/ tips, and most places offer a gas incentive.
Plus even working Thur-Sun you’ll get off at approx 10pm or earlier so you can still go out afterwards :stuck_out_tongue:
Driving around listening to music and getting paid, its pretty prime.

^^ oh but just to add everyone will make fun of you for wearing a pizza hat, and drunk hot girls will joke about you being a pizza bodyguard and laugh at you.

Better to take a hit to the pride than the wallet imo :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]MementoMori wrote:

[quote]FattyFat wrote:

[/quote]

Something about your picture has me convinced you’ve pulled a poltergeist and your eyes are staring at me from under the black cut out. It haunts me.[/quote]

Spot on.
But since your observant eye has impressed me, you’ll have nothing to be worried about.
Your soul is safe.

[quote]PAINTRAINDave wrote:
^^ oh but just to add everyone will make fun of you for wearing a pizza hat, and drunk hot girls will joke about you being a pizza bodyguard and laugh at you.

Better to take a hit to the pride than the wallet imo :P[/quote]
But then the girls bang the pizza guy because he’s fucking jacked.