Jobs and majors for men

Currently in America lots of young people are confused and lost when it comes to finding a job or college major.
this thread is to give men an idea of jobs they would like and jobs they would be bored or uncomfortable in. This thread is not sexist or stereotypical it is to help men be happy in work or school.

Good for Men:
chemist
engineer
science teacher
construction
skilled trade
computer science
business management
accountant
Registered nurse
bartender

NOT good for men:
teacher’s assistant
customer service
file clerk
special education teacher
public health educator
hospital admin
Licensed vocational nurse
counselor
bank teller
server/waiter

again. this is my opinion. feel free to add

One can make a very nice living as a hospital, hospice, or nursing home administrator. I would count health administration out at all. Because of my ten years of experience in the nursing home business, I was seriously contemplating taking some supplemental courses and going through an administrator in training (AIT) program to be a licensed nursing home administrator, but have a different goal now. Average pay for LNHA’s is 150K in New York and a hospital administrator can make quite a bit more.

I aim to start trying for a kid next year. If I have a son I will be advising to stay the hell out of teaching and education if we continue to live in or near a big city. Well, same goes if I have a daughter as well. No healthcare, no education. For what? To be treated like dirt by students, parents, and principals, or be a nurse and have an ass on the line because of understaffing? At least that kind of aggravation is standard where I live and work.

I will advise a son to be in a trade involving his body and hands, or, if he happens to be particularly bright, perhaps go to school for a major that will yield very high income. Generally speaking I feel that jobs done in offices are for women or men that are like women. Oftentimes, I myself, being a highly energetic person, resent the fact that I have a sedentary job.

Education is at an all time high price, so I don’t know who should really be going to school at all.

ITT:

High paying jobs are good for men.

Low paying jobs are not good for men.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
ITT:

High paying jobs are good for men.

Low paying jobs are not good for men.[/quote]

You are goddamn right.

Substitute “skilled trade” for plumber. Electricians, Plumbers, Steam fitters, Mechanics, etc…

All of the trades have the potential to make 100K a year plus. I’m on track to break 250K (I’m at 240 right now).

And for the record, Union Electricians eat molten lava, shit gold and piss perfection. We go home at two o’clock smelling like money.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Substitute “skilled trade” for plumber. Electricians, Plumbers, Steam fitters, Mechanics, etc…

All of the trades have the potential to make 100K a year plus. I’m on track to break 250K (I’m at 240 right now).

[/quote]

^^^Yep, MEP Foreman, doing public works jobs, make ~60+ per hour.

If I had known better, I wouldn’t of gone for construction management and would of been an electrical or mechanical engineer.

AC, are you an engineer?

AC just pulls wire all day while dressed in his latest Zoolander-inspired overall outfit while listening to the latest top 20 pop hits, whining about who took his favorite insulated philips.

Like this

and this

but gayer

[quote]dchris wrote:

[/quote]

If I had known better, I wouldn’t of gone for construction management and would of been an electrical or mechanical engineer.

AC, are you an engineer?[/quote]

No, I’m a Union electrician (I find the mistakes engineers make and I charge my customer to fix them). But I’m kinda near the top of the food chain with my company. In other words, I spend more time at a desk than I do in the field working with my tools. I’m in the data center world (it’s like a different planet sometimes). The only real time I “work” is for emergency troubleshooting of complex equipment (MSB’s, Utility XFMR’s for sites where we own the utility, ATS’s, UPS’s, PDU’s, MCC’s, PLC’s, Gen Set’s, rack level ATS’s and PDU’s, SCADA systems and other control system failures).

When they lose availability (when shit blows up or goes down for some reason), I’m the one they call. I fix it fast, establish redundancy and get them back online quickly.

On the weekends, my customer will pay me doubletime to sit on my ass watching Netflix and surfing the internet all day just so that I’m in the cluster IN CASE something fails… Don’t hate! LOL

I earned about ten or fifteen bucks while I was typing this.

And for the record, Union Electricians eat molten lava, shit gold and piss perfection. We go home at two o’clock smelling like money.

[/quote]

All trades are definitely not created equal. Boiler makers will make 6 figures in there sleep. Millwright gonna work evenings and weekends while wife is getting railed by the neighbor. Auto mechanic gonna make fuck all unless they’re also good at business.

Some trades have unions which is nice for people who aren’t of the right personality type to negotiate wages, and others you’ll have to be able to demand appropriate compensation for yourself. Hard to go wrong with electrician though for those with the aptitude. One of the more flexible trades (join a union or don’t, work lots of hours or don’t, work evenings / weekends or don’t, etc…).

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

Hard to go wrong with electrician though for those with the aptitude. One of the more flexible trades (join a union or don’t, work lots of hours or don’t, work evenings / weekends or don’t, etc…).[/quote]

Agreed. There are SO many areas of specialty in the electrical trade. You can do light commercial service, technical service, disaster recovery, construction, fire alarm, motor controls, switchgear, tenant build-out, commercial, industrial, critical power, high voltage, signs, instrumentation, high voltage DC, marine/ship yard, offshore, Class 1 Div 1, residential, industrial electronics, battery tech, preventive/predictive maintenance, testing, commissioning, QA/QC, PLC/process automation, structured wiring, HVAC controls, generator sets, power generation, utility distribution, lineman, traction control, etc…

Each one of those classifications can be a career.

Oil/gas

Entry level job wages have decreased in pretty much every industry except healthcare (which has remained stagnant) in the past 7 years… plus, it’s an entire sector w/ a variety of jobs… it’s like saying construction or energy.

[quote]BigDawg6593 wrote:
Oil/gas[/quote]

If oil prices are higher yes. But I remember $10 barrels in the 1990s and a bankrupt vacuum truck business.

[quote]dchris wrote:

[/quote]

AC, are you an engineer?[/quote]

On the weekends, my customer will pay me doubletime to sit on my ass watching Netflix and surfing the internet all day just so that I’m in the cluster IN CASE something fails… Don’t hate! LOL

[/quote]

Bit late for that.

I will say that SPED teacher is actually one of those jobs where men are really needed. I mean you have a 6’2" 250lb 16 yr old with the mind of a 3 or 4 year old and prone to temper tantrums, you need men willing to work in those environments who are patient and can defuse a situation while controlling it. I know in our district, we have one school that handles the most severe cases of Special Needs and after the last teacher (a male) passed away suddenly, we purposely sought a male replacement because they just seem better equipped to handle those situations.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

Hard to go wrong with electrician though for those with the aptitude. One of the more flexible trades (join a union or don’t, work lots of hours or don’t, work evenings / weekends or don’t, etc…).[/quote]

Agreed. There are SO many areas of specialty in the electrical trade. You can do light commercial service, technical service, disaster recovery, construction, fire alarm, motor controls, switchgear, tenant build-out, commercial, industrial, critical power, high voltage, signs, instrumentation, high voltage DC, marine/ship yard, offshore, Class 1 Div 1, residential, industrial electronics, battery tech, preventive/predictive maintenance, testing, commissioning, QA/QC, PLC/process automation, structured wiring, HVAC controls, generator sets, power generation, utility distribution, lineman, traction control, etc…

[/quote]

How long does it take to get qualified? Is it a couple of years of apprenticeship with a few more years specialization?

[quote]Legalsteel wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[/quote]

How long does it take to get qualified? Is it a couple of years of apprenticeship with a few more years specialization?
[/quote]

I did a five year apprenticeship and have been sent to numerous courses and classes by the various companies I’ve worked for. I have also paid thousands of dollars of my own money (and taken time off work to attend) on courses, classes and licensing over the years. I started doing electric work in '96.

But if you just graduate the apprenticeship, you can expect to make around 90K a year (in my jurisdiction). Maybe some more if there’s an overtime job.

But nothing is a substitute for experience and the ability to solve complex problems. That isn’t really taught in a classroom. Also, there is a bit of “who you know” that plays a large part as well. Being well connected will get your foot in the door. You can be the smartest SOB on the planet, but if no one knows who you are or isn’t willing to hire you, then you are just a bad off as a dumb SOB…

[quote]Legalsteel wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Most are 5 year apprenticeships.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]Legalsteel wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Most are 5 year apprenticeships.[/quote]

Does that include a specialization period? Because those areas AC posted seem pretty diverse.

Is it possible to do the apprenticeship part-time? I’d like something to fall back on in case this programming stuff doesn’t work out and/or just to have another “tool in the toolbox” so to speak.

And I talked to one of my uncle’s about some of the electrician’s he knows, and they make good money, but man can it get dangerous. Some of the stuff he told me he’s seen is nightmare inducing.

But I suppose any trade can be dangerous if you aren’t following proper safety protocols.