T Nation

Job Outlook for Recent Graduates

About 6 months ago, I earned my Masters in Environmental Science and still can’t find a job. Not even lab or field technician. Only three interviews.

How are the rest of you recent grads doing on this front and if you’re did well how’d you do it?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
About 6 months ago, I earned my Masters in Environmental Science and still can’t find a job. Not even lab or field technician. Only three interviews.

How are the rest of you recent grads doing on this front and if you’re did well how’d you do it?[/quote]

Have you tried LOL?

No I don’t mean laughing out loud, that would be stupid. I mean Land O’Lakes. They usually have field tech positions posted.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
About 6 months ago, I earned my Masters in Environmental Science and still can’t find a job. Not even lab or field technician. Only three interviews.

How are the rest of you recent grads doing on this front and if you’re did well how’d you do it?[/quote]

Have you tried LOL?

No I don’t mean laughing out loud, that would be stupid. I mean Land O’Lakes. They usually have field tech positions posted.[/quote]

Right after I read your first sentence I was about to E-slap you lol. But I’ll make sure I keep an eye on them along with some of the other companies that keep popping up in my job search.

What do ya’ll think of career websites like Monster and CareerBuilder?

Your reliance on those sites is making it harder for you.

Now I know the USa is much larger than the UK but the sites we have are just big advertisement machines with jobs that nobody ever goes for, are scams, dont exist or are applied for by thousands of people.

Graduate sites are just as bad for this.

I found that approaching individual companies sets you up to learn what they’re about, rather than just type out a typical covering letter and a CV for them to look at and then discard.

Look up companies that value volunteering (if it applies), do a bit and then come back. Its better than just an empty gap.

I found work through my universities job board right out of school. It wasn’t exactly in my field, but close. Since then I found a job straight off the company?s website. My suggestion is to look for companies within your work range and look directly at their website/job board. Even go in (suit and tie on) and see if you can talk with HR.

Monster, Indeed, careerbuilder, etc…Never got a hit. USAjobs is pretty bad too. They just cross you off if one or more requirements is lacking. They won’t even give you a chance.

I got a job in June right before I graduated. I went to all the career fairs my school offered and stayed persistent with online applications and connection sites like LinkedIn. I majored in Electrical Engineering and they have tons of jobs. In fact, I was the last one of my EE friends to get a job.

My best bud got his B.S. in Environmental Science and he delivers pizzas. Seems like the job market isn’t too strong in that field.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
About 6 months ago, I earned my Masters in Environmental Science and still can’t find a job. Not even lab or field technician. Only three interviews. [/quote]

This is your job forecast:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
About 6 months ago, I earned my Masters in Environmental Science and still can’t find a job. Not even lab or field technician. Only three interviews.

How are the rest of you recent grads doing on this front and if you’re did well how’d you do it?[/quote]

Call some of the environmental companies that do Phase I inspections in the oilfield.

Start in Abeliene, Midland, Odessa, Victoria, Hobbes, Roswell

Send me your CV

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Send me your CV[/quote]

I sent my resume to you. Let me know if you got it.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
About 6 months ago, I earned my Masters in Environmental Science and still can’t find a job. Not even lab or field technician. Only three interviews.

How are the rest of you recent grads doing on this front and if you’re did well how’d you do it?[/quote]

did you take any engineering classes? maybe CAD classes? I doubt it, but it is worth asking. Engineers are in such demand right now it isnt funny. I took my resume off of all the sites years ago and I still get calls from companies that were keeping it.

My company is looking for 10 more, one of our current clients is looking for 40.

If you have anything that could relate to engineering or even just design/drafting I would try to work with that. Perhaps a CAD class at the local community college?

I know your passion is not engineering, and I am sorry for that. I also know that engineers have half the unemployment of the rest of the population.

you may have to grind along with a nightmare job until things look up. I sincerely hope not, but that may be the unfortunate reality.

I dunno, man. The only person I know that works in environmental science is a professor of the subject.

Maybe continue on to your PhD and find a university that needs one.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
About 6 months ago, I earned my Masters in Environmental Science and still can’t find a job. Not even lab or field technician. Only three interviews.

How are the rest of you recent grads doing on this front and if you’re did well how’d you do it?[/quote]

Have you tried LOL?

No I don’t mean laughing out loud, that would be stupid. I mean Land O’Lakes. They usually have field tech positions posted.[/quote]

Right after I read your first sentence I was about to E-slap you lol. But I’ll make sure I keep an eye on them along with some of the other companies that keep popping up in my job search.

What do ya’ll think of career websites like Monster and CareerBuilder?[/quote]

I don’t like Monster or Careerbuilder, I found that they hit me with spam more than anything else. That said, I landed my current job through Simplyhired. Linkedin has a shitload of job postings too, and makes it easy to apply.

Are you finding a lot of postings for jobs you want? Do you have a specific position in mind and a targeted resume? An approach I used that turned my job search around was this:

  1. Find about 20 job postings for the title you’re looking for.
  2. Copy and paste them all into one document.
  3. Go through and highlight all of the key qualifications, duties, skills, etc.
  4. When you’re done highlighting, go back through and look for and count the keywords that appear.
  5. Create a spreadsheet with a row for each keyword. Have one column displaying the number of times each word showed up in your sample, and then put every job you’ve ever had, award/degree you’ve ever earned, etc. in the columns after that.
  6. Then just fill in the ways in which your experience matches up with the keywords you’ve found.
  7. Take note of any major gaps, and figure out a way to address them. Volunteering helped me get some really meaningful experience and fill some gaps that I had.

I’m not the best networker, and I found that the above chart helped me in a few ways:

  1. It gave me a resume that was applicable to most of the job postings I found for my desired position, which let me apply to a ton of jobs online quickly.
  2. It gave me a solid summary of my experience, and helped me come up with a good elevator speech when I was in networking situations.
  3. It gave me a huge confidence boost to see that I actually had good experience and was qualified. Looking for your first real job is super fucking frustrating, and I found that it could be tough on the ol’ self esteem.

Anyway, I know it’s a long post, and it may not address the particular challenges you’re facing, but I thought I’d share. Good luck dude!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Monster, Indeed, careerbuilder, etc…Never got a hit. USAjobs is pretty bad too. They just cross you off if one or more requirements is lacking. They won’t even give you a chance. [/quote]

USAJobs is rough. I never had the patience to make it through their applications.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Send me your CV[/quote]

I sent my resume to you. Let me know if you got it. [/quote]
Did not get it.

I’ve always wondered whether it would be more marketable for me to pursue a MS or another BS

I’ve been in Philly since January 13 and have had one interview that went great (graduated with my B.S. in civil engineering) I’m waiting to hear back from. I have a few more apps sent out I’m hoping to get interviews for.

I do use CareerBuilder, Monster, etc. Are you calling companies after applying? You could be one of 200 applicants for a position, so until you make a phone call or walk in somewhere, you’re just another file in someone’s system.

I’m talking to guys at the gym and church and making a few connections. It gets pretty discouraging to be honest, but you just have to stick with it.

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:
I’ve been in Philly since January 13 and have had one interview that went great (graduated with my B.S. in civil engineering) I’m waiting to hear back from. I have a few more apps sent out I’m hoping to get interviews for.

I do use CareerBuilder, Monster, etc. Are you calling companies after applying? You could be one of 200 applicants for a position, so until you make a phone call or walk in somewhere, you’re just another file in someone’s system.

I’m talking to guys at the gym and church and making a few connections. It gets pretty discouraging to be honest, but you just have to stick with it. [/quote]

Where at in Philly?

I have a buddy in engineering, not sure what type, though.

I’ve been out of college for almost 3 years now. I can tell you after I graduated I applied to jobs till I was blue in the face. In the end the only job I got was from a guy whose family I had known for years. Luckily it turned out to be a great gig, but I sympathize with you recently graduated folks looking for work. It was hard to keep your chin up sometimes.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:
I’ve been in Philly since January 13 and have had one interview that went great (graduated with my B.S. in civil engineering) I’m waiting to hear back from. I have a few more apps sent out I’m hoping to get interviews for.

I do use CareerBuilder, Monster, etc. Are you calling companies after applying? You could be one of 200 applicants for a position, so until you make a phone call or walk in somewhere, you’re just another file in someone’s system.

I’m talking to guys at the gym and church and making a few connections. It gets pretty discouraging to be honest, but you just have to stick with it. [/quote]

Where at in Philly?

I have a buddy in engineering, not sure what type, though.[/quote]

Manayunk, but I’m looking for anything within a 50 mile radius. Do you know who he works for?