T Nation

Job Hunting

Wel,l it has been about 5 years since I have been looked for a new job and I have a few questions. It seems that a lot has changed.

How much luck have any of you had with the job sites such as Careerbuilder, Monster etc.? Also when it comes to recruiters have you found them helpful or did they just extend the process longer where it would have been easier to deal with the hiring manager themselves? I have contacted some of the recruiters that have tried recruiting me in the past and only one has seemed like they are really helping. Before the question is asked I work in Wholesale Lending.

Any ideas or insight will be much appreciated.

I just quit my job today, i have another lined up with a more progressive company.

I had been looking for 6 months…a long time before I found something, and I have dealt with so many recruiters it hurts.

From my experience, you are a piece of meat to a recruiter, a quick buck. Most of them will call you and you spend half an hour talking to them about your resume. Then you will probably be asked to meet the more serious ones.

Either way, 99% of the time it is a colossal waste of time. You never hear from most again. The scatter few will follow up with other positions. There are the recruiters that solicit you when you post your resume on those sites.

Most jobs are hired through recruiters nowadays, which makes the whole job hunting process a pain in the ass. They have no investment in you, just the quick buck they make from placing you. I’ve even had a recruiter get mad at me because I canceled an interview they had scheduled for me because I didn’t want the job…then she called me unprofessional. ahaa, stupid bitch, i dont owe you anything.

So, word of advice, use them like they use you and dont get your hopes up. Take everything they say with a grain of salt and apply yourself using the company email.

If you know a particular field you want to be in go to the companies? websites. There you can submit your resume which is lands in the same data base that recruiters load there?s into. Hell 1/2 the companies today you meet with a recruiter and then they tell you to apply online because they don’t take resumes!

(Haha and not just the companies that are blowing you off say to do that!)

[quote]baretta wrote:

So, word of advice, use them like they use you and dont get your hopes up. Take everything they say with a grain of salt and apply yourself using the company email.[/quote]

Exactly.

You are better off networking in real life than posting a resume online.

Join breakfast clubs (sounds gay but they are great networking oppurtunities), go to job fairs where you can meet the recruiters and make a real impression, set up lunch meetings with people in fields you are interested in (even if they aren’t the one in charge of hiring, they will have you in mind if they hear of something) etc.

it doesn’t hurt to post resumes online, but it shouldn’t be your primary resource.

[quote]trailrash wrote:

How much luck have any of you had with the job sites such as Careerbuilder, Monster etc.?
[/quote]

couldnt hurt to put yours up there. ive been with the same company for 4 years and theyve always had postings and accounts to recieve resumes from monster etc. both sites offer email updates of postings, and alot of other features as well.

im pretty sure youve mentioned you were an L/O or in finance of some sort and there are boatloads of listings for the field on both sites you mention, at least in my area. I keep tabs on job listings fairly often, and im in the industry as well so…

Pretty much like everyone said, check out the websites of the companies you want to work for, and email them for more information, if the website doesn’t have everything you are looking for.

I have been on monster.com since 2000, and I did get my last job through them (which I quit to go back to school). I always received email notifications on jobs I DIDN’T want (insurance sales, 100% commission sales jobs, financial representatives, etc.), but those might interest you. Job hunting is a long process, but when you find the right job, you’ll know it.

And as texasguy said, joining breakfast clubs, societies, kiwanis, lodge, networking groups are very beneficial for finding a job, as well as meeting people in different fields.

Good luck in your job search.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Pretty much like everyone said, check out the websites of the companies you want to work for, and email them for more information, if the website doesn’t have everything you are looking for.

I have been on monster.com since 2000, and I did get my last job through them (which I quit to go back to school). I always received email notifications on jobs I DIDN’T want (insurance sales, 100% commission sales jobs, financial representatives, etc.), but those might interest you. Job hunting is a long process, but when you find the right job, you’ll know it.

And as texasguy said, joining breakfast clubs, societies, kiwanis, lodge, networking groups are very beneficial for finding a job, as well as meeting people in different fields.

Good luck in your job search.[/quote]

Just keep in mind that some societies and lodges don’t consider networking as part of their principle tennants, and would view the motive as exploitation. The networking comes as a fringe benefit.

The Kiwanis are great though, as is the Rotary Club, The Lions Club and the Elk’s Lodge.