T Nation

Job for College Student?

Hi everyone. Im looking for a summer job as a college student. I only have one previous job so finding jobs has been rough. Im looking for a job on commission because of the pay or something above minimum wage. I know a lot of you will say take what you can get, but i am living at home and going to school. Its just for some spending cash. Ideas on some jobs?

Don’t be especially discriminating. You’re probably not going to find a job you are going to really like, or is very satisfying. That’s why it will only be a summer job. It’s not a career. Take what’s out there. Even if it’s at McDonald’s. You’re only going to do it for a couple months anyway. Not trying to be a downer, but you’re not going to find any kind of dream job for summer work.

Are there any particular jobs you’re interested in?

[quote]BallinBoss wrote:
Hi everyone. Im looking for a summer job as a college student. I only have one previous job so finding jobs has been rough. Im looking for a job on commission because of the pay or something above minimum wage. I know a lot of you will say take what you can get, but i am living at home and going to school. Its just for some spending cash. Ideas on some jobs?[/quote]

I take it your from the US? I’m from the UK and last summer and this summer (as of next week) I work for a marquee company, I’m sure there might be similair companies in the US, I get paid just above minimum wage but get 50+ hours a week. It will keep you fit and strong aswell as its a very physical job.

Just a suggestion but maybe try looking into something like that, its a very casual relaxed job with alot of banter, so youll probably have a laugh over summer aswell. Good luck

Summer job?

Brah, it’s mid-June. With your standards and lack of experience, you will likely be back here mid-July asking the same damn question. You’ve already admitted the search has been “rough” so far, so suck it up. Even a job flipping burgers beats sitting on your ass for an entire summer.

Take what you can get at first, but keep your eyes peeled for something better. Use the ‘general labor’ section of craigslist to find seasonal/temp positions doing landscape/painting/demo work if you wanna get at least $10/hr.

Maybe this is a weird suggestion, but I’ve been out of college for a few years and have had some time to think about it, but I recommend looking for a job that sucks and that you really don’t like. It will make whatever you do the rest of the summer look awesome and when you’re older and working an okay job that you’re not stoked about, it’ll give you some perspective and you’ll appreciate what you have more.

Some of the jobs I had in college:

Telemarketing - Will work on your social/selling skills and learn how to handle rejection.

Sandwich shop - Cheap food! Plus learned cashiering and customer service skills.

Wedding DJ - Takes up most of your weekend but you get to party with bridesmaids and get a nice dinner. This really sharpens your social skills and will get you laid on a regular basis.

Security guard - If it’s at a desk or guard shack, you can get a lot of studying done for school.

Golf course (groundskeeping/maintenance) - You get to work outside and be active.

Whatever you do, make friends with your boss so you have a good reference for your next job. You’ll want several good professional folks to vouch for you in a couple years when you start looking for big boy jobs.

Thanks for the replies. And yes I do live in the US. I actually live up in Northern California. While I am looking for a summer job, it could turn in to a long term job… Not a career per say, but Id keep it while going to school next semester and the one after. I am in a JC right now but my school I want to transfer to is also in the area (CAL) so I could keep the job.

Anyway, I was actually looking at a job that I could commute to in San Francisco. I know its a commute and I would take bart so I dont know if a minimum wage job in the city is worth it, but Im not doing much school right now so I could. Anonym I have tried every day! Craigslist is just not helping at the moment. But I did find some upscale valet jobs in the city that wouldnt be bad.

Have a friend who got a job in the city working at a modeling agency at the front desk and has no experience. He’s making 1000$ paychecks which at our age is solid. Dont know how he got it but im super jealous. And the perks are great.

[quote]Ulty wrote:
Some of the jobs I had in college:

Telemarketing - Will work on your social/selling skills and learn how to handle rejection.

Sandwich shop - Cheap food! Plus learned cashiering and customer service skills.

Wedding DJ - Takes up most of your weekend but you get to party with bridesmaids and get a nice dinner. This really sharpens your social skills and will get you laid on a regular basis.

Security guard - If it’s at a desk or guard shack, you can get a lot of studying done for school.

Golf course (groundskeeping/maintenance) - You get to work outside and be active.

Whatever you do, make friends with your boss so you have a good reference for your next job. You’ll want several good professional folks to vouch for you in a couple years when you start looking for big boy jobs.

[/quote]

Im actually working for a wedding company as we speak. However, its on weekends only and its on call… So im looking for something more. Also Im currently trying to find work at multiple golf courses but its not going too well either.

Also, Im trying to get a job at the front desk of my gym but thats not working out to well either since they arent hiring.

[quote]BallinBoss wrote:
Hi everyone. Im looking for a summer job as a college student. I only have one previous job so finding jobs has been rough. Im looking for a job on commission because of the pay or something above minimum wage. I know a lot of you will say take what you can get, but i am living at home and going to school. Its just for some spending cash. Ideas on some jobs?[/quote]

You seem cut out to be a fluffer. Try that.

What about a mover? just applied. ill skip on the fluffer and leave that to you?

[quote]BallinBoss wrote:
What about a mover? just applied. ill skip on the fluffer and leave that to you? [/quote]

Trust me, he’s not a very good fluffer … you shouldn’t sell yourself short or be intimidated, from what i’ve heard through the grape-vine you’d be a successful fluffer

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]BallinBoss wrote:

You seem cut out to be a fluffer. Try that.[/quote]

lulz.

I cant offer any help other than next time start looking for a job during winter break, i landed my summer job as an intern in a bio lab (applied math major) and it was supposed to be unpaid but i beasted their asses and three days in they decided to pay me. Got em’ try harder bro.

Ever considered bouncing? Depending on your area you can make a good bit of money doing it, and meet lots of women. It’s what I’ve done through college and it’s treated me pretty well.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Ever considered bouncing? Depending on your area you can make a good bit of money doing it, and meet lots of women. It’s what I’ve done through college and it’s treated me pretty well.[/quote]

Actually yeah, my friend just got a job downtown in the bars bouncing but you need to be 21. I think out in the city at the strip club you can bounce at 18 but thats a commute to just bounce.

my don’t you live a privileged existence.

Construction is good work if you can handle it. If your in a rural area i would consider trying to get on as a hand at a farm, doesn’t pay good but you get to work outside and it will build you up quick.

[quote]Hell-Billy wrote:
my don’t you live a privileged existence.

Construction is good work if you can handle it. If your in a rural area i would consider trying to get on as a hand at a farm, doesn’t pay good but you get to work outside and it will build you up quick.
[/quote]

I bail hay every once in a while. $10/hr tax-free money.

CS

Ever considered bouncing? Depending on your area you can make a good bit of money doing it, and meet lots of women. It’s what I’ve done through college and it’s treated me pretty well.[/quote]
shit why not

You also look like you could bounce somebody.

At OP:

If you’re not willing to commute, then maybe you’ll be best served by doing local stuff. Make a list of what you can do and go looking around. Until every business within a 10 mile radius has told you “no we don’t need you” you haven’t looked hard enough.

Next year start looking at the beginning of April, like everybody else.

[quote]BallinBoss wrote:
What about a mover? just applied.[/quote]

This is what I did during my summer vacations. I fucking loved it. Be prepared to learn what the word “work” really means though. Also be prepared to get absolutely no respect from the full-time guys until you prove that you’re not a complete waste of air. You better have thick skin…

The best tip I can give you is this:

Don’t EVER fucking complain. Most of the guys you work with are still going to be movers 10-20 years from now. They have no options. You’re only there for a few months. Suck it up.