Job ADD?

Hey man,

I know exactly where you’re coming from; I’m going through the same thing myself. If you’re serious about doing personal training, maybe you could try talking to the ones at your gym about the pros and cons. Also maybe try talking to the gym owner or staff about it.

Like Vroom, I got into computers because I was good at it and have been programming since the age of 8. At the time I got my first IT job, I didn’t realize that answering my pager at 2:00am on a weekend would be part of the deal (which is now making me rethink my career choice). So definitely try to talk to people in the biz to get a feel for what it’s really like on an average day.

If you decide to get into it, network like hell. Pass out business cards, put up flyers, talk to people.

Not sure if this will apply, after reading your replies, but here goes:

Just go into sales. Technically, the only limits are your talent and your anxiety, and you can be entrepreneurial all you want … if you’re good. Like a guy said, there’s no price for a good salesman.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Heh, BFG, not sure I have anything useful to say, but you know me, I can blather on with the best of them! So, let me get started…[/quote]

affirmatory - that’s why i targeted you ;)[quote]

The thing I am finding is that it gets harder and harder for me to get interested in technical issues. The level of detail required to implement a project, the amount of communication required to explain the issues involved to the techically illiterate, and the amount of stress involved with missed deadlines and bugs after release is not something I relish anymore.

Strangely, there are two areas that stand out to me as things I want to make happen.

1. I want to do something that doesn’t involve the level of precision of communicating with a stupid computer. I’m tired of working with detailed logical issues every day. I want to speak to people using English because it is, in general, so much easier to work with willing (professional) people.

2. I want to disconnect from the nine to five lifestyle. My sleeping patterns don’t match this time period. I tend to wake up again when I should be getting ready for sleep. I then can’t fall asleep until I’m “tired” and it pisses me off and leaves me feeling like crap at work at lot. Why should I live this way? If I can work via the Internet, I can travel anywhere and connect via wireless at any large town coffee shop – what a plan![/quote]

man are we ever on the same wavelength!

(1) the technical stuff is just blah blah boringcakes. i can do it, and i can do it well, but i know that others can do it better simply because they care. i prefer the facilitation of people and ideas. despite all of the tools of the trade, meetings, emails, blackberries, phone calls, and so on, these technical people still can not communicate with one another - it’s amazing to me. despite the fact that i don’t care to really know very many people, i have a way to get the most out of them - i’m that guy for whom people want to work.

(2) nor can i deal with this nine to five sheeple mentality. our core work hours are from 8 to 3:30. i am suppose to be here @ 7. i actually get here between 8 and 9. i just can’t be bothered. priorities: (1) girlfriend (2) lifting/eating lifestlye (3) misc other (4) work (5) school. everything you said about sleeping, being tired and pissed off, and coffee - EXACTLY. i thought that this would change as i got older. but i am 31 now. and it is the exact same. i would rather work 6-7 days per week for 6-7 hours per day and take days off as needed rather than deal with this crappily dictated schedule.[quote]

I’m seriously considering a move away from computing altogether. As I’m always in the politics forums, I’m taking some politics courses to see if there is any carry over. As I’m completely into fitness, I’m considering being a personal trainer for beginners. I’m no expert and I don’t have the ability to coach high level athletes, but any fat sedentary lardass working a career with no time to spend learning about fitness, I can help.[/quote]

[apparently i remember grammar and capitalization … starting … now.]

Again, I’m with you. Obviously we have a lot to learn, as the more you know, the more there is to know. With me, when delving into something new, I always feel initially overwhelmed. This is bad, because I tend to sell myself short. Conversely, this is good because I really bust ass and thus excel. In the fitness, training, nutrition realm that we all share here @ T-Nation, guys like you and I absorb this information at an amazing pace. Still we have MUCH to learn. I will probably never have the nutritional expertise of a Berardi or be able to break down the science of 10 x 3 like Waterbury. Nor do I need or necessarily want to, as that’s getting back to details. At some point, you know enough to seriously kick some @ss. The reality of the situation is this: at T-Nation, I may know next to nothing … but at the gym, I know more than anyone else!

I desire simply to know what works and the fundamentals of why. Then I want to help people with it. Having been there (physically a FFB) and changing as I have is an amazing feeling. And ultimately I realize that most people will never make that step without some help. They simply don’t have the foggiest idea of what to do. I see them a the gym on the bike spinning their wheels in more ways than they even know. It really bothers the sh!t out me. And the worst at my gym are the so called personal trainers, as they don’t have a f*cking clue. People pay them serious cash for their “services”. WTF? I would really like to throttle them all, but I’ll save that rant for another thread.[quote]

It’s not easy to consider the job shift, and it isn’t easy to imagine the cut in pay that might happen if you simply take the leap. However, in the Internet era, if you do things right, you might just be able to get your feet wet without risking your current job. You’ll have to put in a lot of time and effort, which doesn’t get any easier if you are also in the gym, but you’ll find out if you really enjoy the activity.

So, BFG, where do you spend your free time? I don’t mean in the bar, but in a productive way. What interests you? Assume you are simply kick-ass at anything you spend the time to become an expert at, and then find something that you really enjoy and can continue to enjoy.[/quote]

I really don’t have a lot of free time. Between the great girl, lifting, work, and school, I am pretty booked up. I have some other interests, namely music, high end audio equipment, and drumming. I like coffee and reading. Maybe I should buy a quad again. And I rather enjoy financial matters and in fact see a potential move to a career there - it would involve helping people better secure their futures. But mostly, in case you can’t tell, I am pretty damned passionate about the training thing.[quote]

Me? I’m going to communicate with people in some way. Screw typing in gobbledegook all day so an incredibly stupid computer which never says thanks can accomplish some task (hell, I’m writing in forums all the time, maybe I can write). I’d rather make a difference in someones life. I’d rather help steer a company or a person with respect to important decisions.

It’s true I can do this in the computing field, but even if I do, generally I can’t even carry on a conversation about my job – nobody understands the work and nobody cares, and in the end I don’t even have anything I can point to.

So, I’m not unhappy in my current job, but I am looking for ways to adjust it, and my life, towards that which will make me happier.[/quote]

Yes. I would rather make a difference in peoples’ lives as well. Nobody understands what I do and even if they do care, I don’t hardly care enough to explain it to them. I am not unhappy, but I am far from excited. I do what I can to make my life better outside of work. But the fact of the matter is that we spend a hyooge percentage of our conscious hours at work. It needs to be more fulfilling.[quote]

My advice, don’t take unnecessary risks, but find a way to determine what can hold your interest. Once you do that, find a way to make the transition without suffering financially. If nothing can hold your interest, then be thankful you have a good job and focus on things outside of your job for your happiness.[/quote]

Nice. I am too conservative to jump out of comfort and into an unknown world. I will continue through school and likely work into a consulting gig in my current industry. And I will gather more info and look into careers in the training world.[quote]
There, a complete rambling book and I still managed to say very little. Anyway, since you were looking for my ramblings, PM me or ask me something specific if you like. I’m happy to help if I can.[/quote]

You said a lot. Your insight is very helpful. Thanks to you and everyone else as well.

BFG

BFG,

Try going to

www.howtosellfitness.com www.philkaplan.com

They have tons of marketing tips for personal trainers. I have an office job myself and am in the same situation as you. I guess time will tell if I do switch to being a full time personal trainer.

vroom,

Work from the internet? Suprisingly many had done it but I dont know how.

However I’ve been to these 2 sites before. Looks promising…

www.secretstotheirsuccess.com

I’m afraid you do have job ADD. I prescribe you some Ritalin and No More Coffee.

I’ve worked for a corporate charter for 3/4 year and US Airways for another 3/4 year. I then did security for two companies, before I got an office job for another 3/4 year. At that point I became a Personal Trainer for another 3/4 year. After that, I went to boot camp and technical training for the Air Force Reserve. After returning, I became an environmental Stack Tester for, 3/4 year so far. I plan on quitting this coming week (I think they want me to die).

I think there is a special meaning to 3/4 and I suggest we name it ‘e’, as in euler’s number.

Being a Stack Tester is pretty tough. Long days lie ahead of you as you climb and haul heavy boxes of equipment as high up as 400 ft off the ground. You do this with a little improvised pulley, and all equipment will lie in your way as you traipse through the 1 meter wide platform. You will normally have 4 holes, which you will have to open (take nuts/bolts off) one by one, stick a 2.5 meter probe inside and hold it until your sholders become frail. Then hold some more, as the heat penetrates your firefighter gloves and the insulation you used to cover the hole gets sucked into the stack, allowing for intensely hot smoke to hit your face with ammonia and nitrogen compounds. You then traipse on to the next hole. Often, all 4 holes must be done 3 times within one hour. Work is done rain or shine.

This previous month I became ill for 3 weeks after working in rain/snow conditions. The rain helped to keep my firefighter gloves more heat resistant, so my hands didn’t burn as much, but the intense heat, smoke, and the stress of getting everything done while getting hit by strong winds and rain at that altitude didn’t do my health good.

BFG, Vroom:

May I suggest

-If you constantly enjoy challenges and want to help people, consider teaching. The challenges will never stop until you retire. You will also be able to help someone. Pay varies greatly depending on where you live, but the benefits can’t be beat.

or, as an intermediate job:

-Sell cars

Good to potentially great money, free car and you meet a ton of people. You can move from dealer to dealer whenever you want to as long as you produce. Your co-workers will prob be sh#tbags, but that will only make you look better.

Rainjack, that was hilarious!!

I actually had to uninstall hearts and solitaire from windows from my PC because I procrastinated 2 much, and sometimes I have to have someone hold my cable modem for a day or 2!

Damn TV and internet, screwed us all up…

I was thinking about this thread just today. I am very happy to report that through my hard work and dedication, that I now have less than 40 tax returns left to comlplete.

If you are keeping score, that is 65 returns finished in one week. Yes - I am THAT good.

Interesting thread. Have to comment later.

Rainjack, sometimes its a curse being that damn good. I had a 3.5 last year when in school full time, and the amount of work I put into it was infinitesmal. But I’ve gotten away with waiting til the last minute so many times, its hard to change and once in a while, it does come back to bite me you-know-where.

My thought is this.
Sounds like most everyone is giving you advise in a career and a job. Few have said “start your own business”. Very wise advise.

But with that said. Starting your own business with no help and no mentor ship and most important a system like franchising. With out those, most likely you will fail. Having your own business is very wise. For TAX reasons alone. Would you rather sign the checks on the front or the back? Your sharp enough to realize that.

But if you can emulate what the billionairs are doing, and if your teachable. You can make a lot of money. Look what the top ten billionairs are doing. Computers and Distribution.
It’s not just a product or a service you provide. It’s about people. John Paul Getty said" I would rather have 1% effort from a 100 people, than 100% of myself." Can you imagine 100 copy’s of yourself ? You would never ever work again. And for the people that say" your to young to retire". You ask them " says who?" all you need is money right ? Why do you have to be old? All you need is money.Don’t you want to enjoy life when you retire? Not be all decrypted and not hurt all the time? Hell I hurt now, I can’t imagine what I will feel like at 65 .For the people that retire at 65 ,find out how long they live past 65 the numbers will freak you out. They die rather quick. Even for people that retire 55 live longer. I say retire as soon as you can. Think about it.

Can you imagine your life? Put a plan into action and in 2-5 years be done, full of T and ready to have fun. And for the real smart ones that say you’ll be bored… Oh my… Ya that’s why the old people work at Wal-Mart and McDonald’s because they are bored… I call Bull Shit. They are broke. They like the finer things in life like food and a place to live. They don’t have extra cash to do anything they want to do. This great country makes me sick. We should learn wisdom, honor and cherish our mature people. Not have them working and cleaning up after teenagers. And for the real smart ones that say they" LOVE" what they do…hmmm do they really? So then do it for free. And if they love it so much …Hey thats great because Most people don’t, they hate what they do.So if you love what you do great we are always gonna need people to work and do the things that I don’t want to do.Do you really think that the people that actually made it on the long journey over on the Mayflower were fired up to work at a job. That would be hell no. People say " I’m climbing the corporate ladder" and I say " where are you going?" they only have so much room at the top.Once you get so high on the ladder they want to kick you out. Very sad that a great country was founded on free enterprise and in school all they teach you is how to get a job.

People that are giving you advice. Look to see if they are living the way you want to live. OK basically this. Would you take training advice from the 300lb fat guy sitting down eating a box of Krispy Kreems? Or advice from the guy that is ripped and has his swoll on??!!! Makes sense to take advice from some one that has had success in what you want to do & be. So you have plumbing problems your not going to ask your Dentist are you? I love my parents but I never take financial advice from them. Not that they are bad people but they don’t live the way I live and want to live. I am semi-retired an will be debt free this year. They won’t be. They both will still be working.

So with all of that said. Don’t be the boiling frog. Most people have done what they have done for so darn long. They just don’t realize that it is just not working out. If you put a frog into a pot of room temp water and as time goes by, you slowly turn up the heat the frog will get used to it and boil to death. If you toss a frog into a boiling pot of water it will jump out. People are making less each year and wonder why they can’t get ahead. You are making less than you did even a year ago.

Have you seen gas prices alone. HELLLOOOO… Did you get a raise for cost of living ? Yup that’s what I thought. Let alone all the other crap that keeps going up. We had a company meeting last week and every one was fired up. We got a " cost of living increase"… ya right… The senior manager said that we got a 3% raise… So I raised my hand and said so we got a 8% right? He said “no 3%” I said that’s not a raise, we are making less than we did last year. If cost of living is 5% and you said we got a 3% raise we should be making a 8%…? Well you can imagine how that went over.

So with every thing I have said. You seem very sharp. My advice “Think outside of the box and don’t think like every one else.” And if you choose to get a another JOB. Good luck. But if you are not locked into what your doing and want more out of life. Get in touch with me, I’m always looking for sharp people and I would be willing to teach you every thing I know for free and if your real sharp I’m even willing to introduce you to the people I’m working with. Have an awesome day.
A great quote “Today matters, make it a great day.” by John C Maxwell

Good advice Bohdi. Just remember that there are downfalls to private business as well. And - some people are just not cut out for it.

My recommendation is a cash business. THat’s what I’m considering doing. Nothing like ca$$$h !

Sonny S
I never said a “private business” I said “Private Franchising” HUGE difference. And yes you are right in that a private business, most are not cut out for it.

Now Private Franchising, on the other hand. Any one can do it. Young, old, fat, skinny, pretty, ugly, and so on. I represent a billion dollar business that is debt free. So yes you can say it is a cash business. Yet without the major capitalization. Not like a McDonald’s or even a Subway.

Just don’t be talking about Amway or some dorky shit like that… :stuck_out_tongue:

"Just don’t be talking about Amway or some dorky shit like that… :stuck_out_tongue: "

You seem to be sharp. shhhhhhh Don’t embarrass yourself. I’ve have always learned that if I don’t know something I stay quiet and try to learn something. I have also learned that every one in many ways are my superior. You can ALWAYS learn something from anyone if your willing to listen and learn.

And by the way what I’m talking about is “NOT” Amway.

Bohdi, I’ve been on the receiving end of the Amway spiel more than once, as well as some other pyramid marketing schemes…

They aren’t for me.

I think Amway salesmen - or any other pushy MLM wannabees - should be drug behind a car with a rope until all their flesh is removed.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I think Amway salesmen - or any other pushy MLM wannabees - should be drug behind a car with a rope until all their flesh is removed. [/quote]

shiver With ya, rj. Go see Sin City for a few other highly creative ways of dealing with them. :wink:

Kuz

Bohdi…so lets hear your pitch.

I for one, am just another stormy job seeker always looking for something more interesting. Boredon sets it within the first 3-6 months. When the right hitch comes along, well, it will be time to settle down.

Plain & simple, u don’t really care for your job. Start saving up & make it a goal ( that means WRITE IT DOWN) Remember this, if it’s in your head & u don’t write it down u most likely won’t get it. Not all the time THOUGH. But when u write it down & u c it & read it all the time you’ll reach that goal.

Ok, make a goal or a plan to move on & get a better job that you’ll enjoy. Take me for example. I’m a tennis instructor/ fitness coack aka personal trainer. I’m in south Fl. & I make 3 figures now for the second yr. in a row.

My job is easy!!! It’s like I’m not even working! Every time I get payed It’s like “I get payed for this?” It’s sooo awesome. I love what I do & it’s toooo much fun. I’m great looking (thanks mom & dad) & I’m in fitness model condition, (thanks dad!)

Find something u enjoy & find a way to make money @ it! Make a list of at least 20 things your good at & enjoy.

We should keep this thread going to help one another. That’s what T-Men do. I c sooo much negative shit on here & people putting down others & it’s not right. Myself included! Especially when people are posting pics!! We need to help & not put down. We can all still be funny as hell w/o putting people down.

The other day when that article came out showing some of those WestSide guys training, I was going to type in & poke some fun, but I hit the cancel button instead. It’s just no good & it’s not going to benefit anyone.

Also, I found something else that I’M really good @ that some people make a huge living at. Betting on sports! I know basketball like the back of my hand, it’s all I did growing up! So I started looking up some online betting site, printing out the NBA teams along w/ the point spreads & placing with myself some fake money bets to c how I would do. And I’m the shit to say the least.

So now I found another way to make big cash & It’s even more interesting & more fun to watch my usual NBA games. We all have talents & many hidden talents. Explore while your young cause life can pass fast.

I’m 28 & MY 20’S ARE GOING BE REALLY FAST. I sometimes can’t believe it. But oh well’ age is all up in your head anyways.

Peace out!