T Nation

Job ADD?

I’m 31. I graduated 10 years ago. I have held 3 technical jobs (2 yrs, 5 yrs, now 3 yrs). But I get bored easily.

Here’s my pattern:
start new job
bust ass
do good job
get bored
find new job

Do I have career ADD, or wtf? Does this happen to you guys? Or am I alone?

I am back in school to broaden my employment options. But still I anticipate getting bored again.

What gives?

Perhaps I just don’t know what I want to do yet. Right now, getting in to the weight training / physical fitness industry is appealing, but it’s probably a phase, and I couldn’t deal with the pay cut. Any of you do part time personal training while maintaining “regular” professional jobs?

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments?

Thanks,
BFG

PS: Vroom’s wisdom is requested.

Start your own company. You are probably getting bored because you do not feel a strong enough connection to your job(s).

[quote]BFG wrote:
…Right now, getting in to the weight training / physical fitness industry is appealing, but it’s probably a phase…[/quote]

And from his profile:

Years Training: [quote]15[/quote]

Have you gotten bored with training? If not, I don’t think you should dismiss a career there. What is the worst that could happen? You get bored with it, also? Most of the time finding a career that doesn’t bore you involves undertaking something that you are already passionate about. If training is the thing, give it a shot.

Conversely, maybe you are just the nomadic type. There isn’t anything inherently wrong with that, other than job-hopping might not be the best thing to have on your CV.

My $0.02: If you have 15 years of training experience, and you’ve spent enough time on T-Nation to rack up almost 400 posts, you obviously enjoy this kind of lifestyle. Why not give it a shot as a career?

~Terumo

[quote]BFG wrote:
I’m 31. I graduated 10 years ago. I have held 3 technical jobs (2 yrs, 5 yrs, now 3 yrs). But I get bored easily.

Here’s my pattern:
start new job
bust ass
do good job
get bored
find new job

Do I have career ADD, or wtf? Does this happen to you guys? Or am I alone?

I am back in school to broaden my employment options. But still I anticipate getting bored again.

What gives?

Perhaps I just don’t know what I want to do yet. Right now, getting in to the weight training / physical fitness industry is appealing, but it’s probably a phase, and I couldn’t deal with the pay cut. Any of you do part time personal training while maintaining “regular” professional jobs?

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments?

Thanks,
BFG

PS: Vroom’s wisdom is requested.[/quote]

Are you a novely seeker in other aspects of your life? In some people, there are receptors that have a number of repeaters. The (i think this is correct) higher number of repeaters, the more “long lasting” a shot dopamine is. In novelty seekers, it is seen that they hae fewer repeaters, thus needing more continual and as it appears varied stimulus. Lots of people are like this.

if you did a “belbin” psycometric test (hocus bloody pocus) the you would be a plant, of a hippo…or some kind of desriptor.

You would not be, say a company worker.

Dude, I am the king of job ADD. I got a BS in Economics in 96,
-spent a year as a personal trainer, while pretending to be a rock star in a crappy band…
-then grad school for computer science…
-4.5 years writing software…
-now applying to med school while also going though the hiring process for the Chicago police.

So, right now, I’m writing software and in a year will either be in med school or in the police academy.

Ugh. Sometimes having many choices is a bad thing.

I have to agree with Zap.

I have job ADD too and right now I am suffering miserably to get out of this place! I started looking at going back to grad school 2 yrs ago but then I got involved in a relationship and now I am married and a father so I cant really go that route. I did a stint in grad school right out of college but I picked the wrong school (University of Hawaii not really the best place to go if you want to focus on school, IMO)I managed to get the grades that I needed to get by on but I wasn’t really putting in the effort. I decided that I would rather work so I got a job for about 2 years then I moved on to this one.

My feeling is that I am not doing what I really want to. The problem is that I have no idea what I want to do. I dont have any specific passions or interest…am I fun or what? So that leaves me here. There are moments when I like my job but today isn’t one of them.

Do you tend to get tired of what you’re doing, or do you tend to get tired of the people with/for whom you’re working?

Also, what about the rest of your life – do you similarly make changes often in relatively large decisions? Houses? Girlfriends? Etc.?

I am going to start an evening plumbing course. They are in short supply here.

A fully qualified gas and water plumber will pull in around 60 -110 thousand pounds dependng on location.

thats about 10 squillion dollars US, with the current rate of exchange. (its about 1.8$ to 1? sterling

Heh, BFG, not sure I have anything useful to say, but you know me, I can blather on with the best of them! So, let me get started…

I’ve been working in the technical industry as well, for what seems like forever now. During the heydey of the Internet era, I was still a computing consultant, so I moved from job to job as projects finished. One or two years was all I’d put in at a location before moving on. I got into a couple of low calibre startups right before the dot-bomb era.

Anyhow, during my time, it was certainly normal for people to have a lot of short stints. It was expected and generally allowed you to move up at each transition. After the dot-bomb and all the slowdown, it wasn’t a plus and I had trouble finding employement in my medium sized town.

The point of all this is that I’ve seen the inside of a hell of a lot of companies in my industry for someone with only about 15 years of experience.

The thing I am finding is that it gets harder and harder for me to get interested in technical issues. The level of detail required to implement a project, the amount of communication required to explain the issues involved to the techically illiterate, and the amount of stress involved with missed deadlines and bugs after release is not something I relish anymore.

In the startups I was able to move into a hands on management role, which I enjoyed, as I got to be technical but I also got to deal with issues that were not technical.

Strangely, there are two areas that stand out to me as things I want to make happen.

1. I want to do something that doesn’t involve the level of precision of communicating with a stupid computer. I’m tired of working with detailed logical issues every day. I want to speak to people using English because it is, in general, so much easier to work with willing (professional) people.

2. I want to disconnect from the nine to five lifestyle. My sleeping patterns don’t match this time period. I tend to wake up again when I should be getting ready for sleep. I then can’t fall asleep until I’m “tired” and it pisses me off and leaves me feeling like crap at work at lot. Why should I live this way? If I can work via the Internet, I can travel anywhere and connect via wireless at any large town coffee shop – what a plan!

About the time I became unemployed is around the time I found T-mag. I’ve since made the gym and nutrition/fitness job number one, with my work and career taking second place to that – so to speak as I have to work certain hours and fit my needs around it.

I’m seriously considering a move away from computing altogether. As I’m always in the politics forums, I’m taking some politics courses to see if there is any carry over. As I’m completely into fitness, I’m considering being a personal trainer for beginners. I’m no expert and I don’t have the ability to coach high level athletes, but any fat sedentary lardass working a career with no time to spend learning about fitness, I can help.

It’s not easy to consider the job shift, and it isn’t easy to imagine the cut in pay that might happen if you simply take the leap. However, in the Internet era, if you do things right, you might just be able to get your feet wet without risking your current job. You’ll have to put in a lot of time and effort, which doesn’t get any easier if you are also in the gym, but you’ll find out if you really enjoy the activity.

So, BFG, where do you spend your free time? I don’t mean in the bar, but in a productive way. What interests you? Assume you are simply kick-ass at anything you spend the time to become an expert at, and then find something that you really enjoy and can continue to enjoy.

Me? I’m going to communicate with people in some way. Screw typing in gobbledegook all day so an incredibly stupid computer which never says thanks can accomplish some task (hell, I’m writing in forums all the time, maybe I can write). I’d rather make a difference in someones life. I’d rather help steer a company or a person with respect to important decisions.

It’s true I can do this in the computing field, but even if I do, generally I can’t even carry on a conversation about my job – nobody understands the work and nobody cares, and in the end I don’t even have anything I can point to.

So, I’m not unhappy in my current job, but I am looking for ways to adjust it, and my life, towards that which will make me happier.

My advice, don’t take unnecessary risks, but find a way to determine what can hold your interest. Once you do that, find a way to make the transition without suffering financially. If nothing can hold your interest, then be thankful you have a good job and focus on things outside of your job for your happiness.

There, a complete rambling book and I still managed to say very little. Anyway, since you were looking for my ramblings, PM me or ask me something specific if you like. I’m happy to help if I can.

I can’t believe this thread topic. The irony is …how do you say…palpable.

I have my own business, as an accountant. A tax accountant to be precise. I specialize (read >90%) in doing tax returns for farmers/small businesses. I can’t go more than an hour, or so, without stopping, playing a game, checking out T-Nation, or just sitting back and staring at the cieling.

I have 105 tax returns left to complete, and less than 3 weeks to get them done. I don’t know if it’s ADD, or if it’s severe procrastination. My wife, who runs everything in the office, took the DSL modem home with her the last 2 nights in the hopes that I would get my ass in gear.

Sorry for the hijack.

I am wondering why the “bust ass, do good job” cycle doesn’t lead to additional responsibilities. I don’t bring it up to imply anything about you, but about your career path. Ideally, one who masters a certain level of achievement in a given field should expect to move up.

Have you had any conversations with your bosses about your goals and what the opportunities might be? Maybe you just need to be more open with your employers about what you want. I have personally found that initiating such conversations can be quite effective.

Bastard…

Dude I know where you’re coming from and can sympathize. Starting your own business might be fun but once you lose interest and it starts to feel like work the same thing might occur. My recommendation: Save some dough, then go on a hiatus. Read some books, see some movies, train, whatever. You need a break.

Seems like you’re one of those guys who is a level above everyone in your proffesional peer group and you meet new challenges with all the piss and vinegar you can muster, but when those challenges become commonplace and you can handle anything that comes your way you kind of disconnect and end up not caring about what happens to your organization at all.

(Apologies in advance for the Nascar reference…)

Right now you’re a dragster, hard charging high horsepower but lack the capacity to sustain performance over long periods of time. Seems that you need to be more of a Nextel Cup car as it pertains to your occupaitonal field, someone who can have moderately high output but more importantly can sustain performance over long periods of time. If you don’t want to be the Nextel Cup car, then allow me to propose that you should look into a career that brings different challenges and stimulates more than just your noodle.

Maybe you should be a fireman, or a paramedic, or a grizzly bear hunting guide. Seems to be more your speed perhaps? You’re never too old. Be Brazen, be bold… and so forth.

Miniross…

Dude your post confused the heck out of me. Real bad.

B.

[quote]Terumo wrote:
Have you gotten bored with training? If not, I don’t think you should dismiss a career there. What is the worst that could happen? You get bored with it, also? … Why not give it a shot as a career?[/quote]

-no, i’ve gotten more into it actually
-worse that could happen: bored and broke
-i should do more research on careers. i just see an industry so riddled with bullshit. and i don’t think that i have the patience to deal with people like that. perhaps higher level in the industry? but then i’m just in another job. hmmm …

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Do you tend to get tired of what you’re doing, or do you tend to get tired of the people with/for whom you’re working?

Also, what about the rest of your life – do you similarly make changes often in relatively large decisions? Houses? Girlfriends? Etc.?[/quote]

-tired of what i am doing. the people are fine.
-the converse. i am very stable and “routine” outside of work with large decisions. i’m typically rational and logical in my thought processes.

your feedback is working - it’s making me think. here’s more of the problem: i don’t make a ton of money, but i live pretty damned comfortably. any major career change that i make will likely result in a significant income decrease at least initially. my changes thus far have been job changes but all within engineering and related disciplines. so, i will have to deal with less for a while before i would have more. more not only financially but also in terms of personal fulfillment. i feel a permanent relationship and family are not too far off. (you married guys know what i mean.) thus i am feeling pressure to do something sooner rather than later. on top of this, industry salaries are moving upward at a nice clip. my risk averse tendencies tell me that ending a financially advantageous albeit boring career for a fulfilling yet financially unsure future is not a smart risk to take. that is a decision which only i can make.

note, i just saw Vroom’s response - gotta check it and get back soon.

thanks again all, and keep it coming!
BFG

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I can’t go more than an hour, or so, without stopping, playing a game, checking out T-Nation …
[/quote]

Thoroughly impressive. How do you make it an hour?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I can’t believe this thread topic. The irony is …how do you say…palpable.

I have my own business, as an accountant. A tax accountant to be precise. I specialize (read >90%) in doing tax returns for farmers/small businesses. I can’t go more than an hour, or so, without stopping, playing a game, checking out T-Nation, or just sitting back and staring at the cieling.

I have 105 tax returns left to complete, and less than 3 weeks to get them done. I don’t know if it’s ADD, or if it’s severe procrastination. My wife, who runs everything in the office, took the DSL modem home with her the last 2 nights in the hopes that I would get my ass in gear.

Sorry for the hijack. [/quote]

Ha!Ha! Rainjack - you know i have been meaning to talk to you about this!!! I remember a few months ago you appealed for help/advice on your training/ eating because you were going to be SOOOOOOOOOOO busy for the next few months on all your tax things. No time to eat and no time to train.

Well my friend you have been the most prolific depositor of posts on this site during this time!!

Yes, you have ADD - but I enjoy your humour anyway.

BFG,

I’m going to assume that you’re an above average intelligence guy. You get bored easily because you master things more quickly than Joe Average. But once you have mastered something, you quickly need a new challenge otherwise you become bored, demotivated and then change jobs/career in order to find new challenges.

This pattern will continue unless you either find a job/career that will constantly challenge you, or you suddenly get stupid. You could try sniffing petrol if you want to get stupid in a hurry :slight_smile:

I think you should consider a job where you are given specific projects to manage on a short-term basis, or become a consultant of some sort. Great money, the work changes every few months, and it should keep you from getting bored (for a while at least). I don’t know what your background is so I don’t know if this is viable or not.

Good luck.

[quote]bandgeek wrote:
I am wondering why the “bust ass, do good job” cycle doesn’t lead to additional responsibilities. I don’t bring it up to imply anything about you, but about your career path. Ideally, one who masters a certain level of achievement in a given field should expect to move up.

Have you had any conversations with your bosses about your goals and what the opportunities might be? Maybe you just need to be more open with your employers about what you want. I have personally found that initiating such conversations can be quite effective. [/quote]

the “bust ass, do good job” cycle does lead to additional responsibilities up to a point. but i always want more. and the fact of the matter is, the world needs more indians than chiefs. 1st job: family owned, no where to go. 2nd job: they didn’t deliver on promises, upper positions undesirable. current job: to be determined, may have promotion opportunities or even lateral positions to respark my interest

i have spoken with my boss about this. he’s the best boss i have had yet. we discussed the possibility that this company may not have opportunities to fulfill my goals. kind of a square peg in the round hole situation. i actually have two bosses, you know, the ever-so-loved management matrix. but they are both pretty decent to work for. the closer of the two told the other one basically this: “technically solid, gives good effort, great with people, but i feel that he is not challenged.” what they don’t know: if i really was motivated and gave two f*cks, i could generate twice or thrice the amount of productivity.

add to this mix my severe disliking for office bullshit and politics. i know how to play the game, but i just won’t.

but i have a meeting with my boss here next week and will further the discussion. thanks man.

BFG

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Seems like you’re one of those guys who is a level above everyone in your proffesional peer group and you meet new challenges with all the piss and vinegar you can muster, but when those challenges become commonplace and you can handle anything that comes your way you kind of disconnect and end up not caring about what happens to your organization at all.[/quote]

Holy sh!t dude. Get out of my head! At first I thought it was sinus trouble, but now I know! That’s nails.

I got him. He’s either real lit up, or he’s in a hurry, but I still got him. No, I am not a novelty seeker.

[quote]gonta wrote:
Ha!Ha! Rainjack - you know i have been meaning to talk to you about this!!! I remember a few months ago you appealed for help/advice on your training/ eating because you were going to be SOOOOOOOOOOO busy for the next few months on all your tax things. No time to eat and no time to train.

Well my friend you have been the most prolific depositor of posts on this site during this time!!

Yes, you have ADD - but I enjoy your humour anyway.[/quote]

Hell - I even started the T-Nation fantasy baseball league. Anything to keep from doing tax returns.