Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Hopefully after some cheats you feel mentally refreshed. That can make a big difference in your attitude towards your progress… at least it does for me. That’s what I’m struggling with most currently is that I literally cannot have any cheats. Not even a little bite of this or that. Feeling a bit like a machine. Eat, train, eat, water, supplements, sleep, repeat. Oh well… I did it to myself.

Have a good one J

2 Likes

I find it’s exactly the other way. I’m kind of like Paul Carter, the minute I stop being reminded I’m still too fat/weak/whatever is the minute start cheating because I’ve “earned it”, and I’ll always go overboard on it. Christmas was a 2 week event for me.

2 Likes

Haha! Funny… guess we’re all wired a little differently. I (struggle is a strange word) with extreme OCD issues, so for me sticking to a routine is very satisfying. But I will work myself into the ground. I’ll notice that I’m not recovering properly, and feeling crappy. It’s usually overtraining or too deep of a deficit. If I force myself to indulge every now again it’s kind of like hitting a reset button. OCD is both a blessing and a curse.

I’m lazy and greedy by nature. For me, routine is a way to override those impulses and get results.

1 Like

I really like this approach for cutting. Heavy restriction 2 days per week is much easier for me than moderate restriction for 7 days per week. I also couldn’t say that it would be any more effective, just easier for me to be compliant/consistent (and that really is the driving factor behind the success)!

That’s a good game! I’m usually content with myself when I break 100, lol. I think my best ever was a lucky 169. We are actually going next weekend for my yearly birthday bowl! (often the only time we bowl in a year)

2 Likes

3.12.19 Back Day

WARM UP
5 minutes on the bike, L11, 1.38 miles

RACK PULLS
155 x 10
265 x 5
315 x 5 x 2 sets
375 x 3 x 3 sets
These were a pretty small ROM. I put the rack safety bars at their lowest setting and the bar was right at my kneecap. I might have to try snatch grip to increase the ROM. My PT doesn’t want me to go past 90 degrees of hip flexion so I’m pretty limited.

HANG SGHP
155 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 4 x 4 sets

PULL UPS
BW x 8 x 4 sets (last set was actually 5-1-1-1)

SEATED CABLE ROW
160 x 10 x 3 sets

STRAIGHT ARM PRESS DOWN
40 x 15 x 3 sets

REVERSE CABLE FLY
30 x 10F/7T/10B
20 x 10F/10T/10B
20 x 12-6-5 + 10 bottom half

STANDING CALF RAISES
250 x 10 x 3 sets

SEATED CALF RAISES
45 x 15 x 3 sets

ELLIPTICAL
20 min interval program while watching Netflix
1.80 miles, 283 calories

Physical therapy went good. I learned more about my problems. My femur shifts forward in the socket. This shortens my hip flexors resulting in tightness. It lengthens and weakens the posterior muscles. They gave me a big band to help work on this. I put the band around my leg as high as I can and position myself so that so the banding is pulling down and back on my femur. I can squat or just move through some stretches and this pulls the femur back into capsule. They do this manually with a strap at PT and I felt great afterwards.

I also received a little ultrasound treatment on my knee. By the time I left PT I could do everything pain free. Unfortunately, the knee pain came back later but I still call that a win.

6 Likes

At least you have a better idea what’s going on, and it’s treatable to some degree. That would make a huge difference in my outlook, for sure.

1 Like

I’m kicking myself for not going to PT sooner. I guess I just didn’t value their skills because my past experiences have been underwhelming. They just follow the script of exercises and progressions sent by the surgeon. This time is different.

The surgeon just requested that they evaluate my hip and go from there. Now I just have to wait for this stuff to work. I have a feeling that it’s going to take a while to right the ship. Looking back, I can see the signs of this slowly happening and it took awhile to get to this point (at least the IT band issues).

3 Likes

100% on the PTs. The gap between good ones and mediocre ones is enormous. A good one can be a life-changer, though.

1 Like

Yeah PT can really help things out. I tend to avoid it because of my coaching background. I feel like I can trouble shoot the problem on my own, but that’s just not the case. The few times I’ve gone they’ve had me doing stuff that really improves stability and range of motion that I wouldn’t have thought to do. Glad your improving man.

1 Like

3.13.19 Lucky 13!

Woke at 219.6 lbs - FINALLY!

5 Likes

Awesome man!!! Moving those numbers feels good

1 Like

Good news man, another milestone down.

1 Like

This one took an entire week! It could be my body’s happy place aka default or set point. I thought I would’ve messed that up by getting up to 250.

I’ve also dropped below 220 in the past by not lifting and mostly drinking beer for my diet (bathroom remodel).

I didn’t think I’d struggle to break the 220 barrier.

Nice work! What’s your target right now? Still 215# or are you going lower? I forget. If you’re going to 210# I’ll race you, see if I can hit 180# before you hit 210#? I’m already racing @IronOne, competition builds motivation, right?

1 Like

Awesome news J, follow the PT’s advice and in no time (couple of months) you’re much much better. Hopefully. I’ll bet that even in a couple of weeks it’s improved.
And under 220, double win for the day.

1 Like

213 is the target because I’m odd and like the number 13. It will also allow me to have a cheat meal and stay at 215 which is my original goal.

I’m hoping that’s all I need to do but I’m not sure if I’ll have the look I want. If not then I’ll have to keep going.

@IronOne revealed that he’s using Carbolin 19. I read up on it and decided to try it. I’m skeptical as usual but I don’t spend a lot on supps so I feel like I’ve earned the chance to blow a little money. I bought four bottles so I can give it a legitimate try - plus I got a discount and free shipping for spending $100.

A bottle might only last 15 days if I follow the dose recommendation of two pills twice a day.

I also think I’m lean enough to really see if it makes a difference.

I’m already spending about $200/3 months on Biotest stuff (Flameout, Rez-V, Curcumin, ZMA), so I’m not sure I can justify another one. I was going to try Plazma at @flipcollar 's recommendation, but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet because that shit is expensive. I’ll keep tabs on you two and see what you think of the Carbolin.

I’m still using protein that is leftover from a failed supplement business. My supply is about to run dry so I’ll have to start paying full price again. That’ll probably change my monthly food requirements because I’m able drink 100+ grams of protein each day and it’s basically free.

On the plus side, I’ll be able to pick good flavors instead of being stuck with leftovers. I’m pretty tired of vanilla right now.

1 Like

Dreaded Leg Day

WARM UP
10 minutes on the arc trainer

24" BOX SQUAT (blue xercuff band around knees)
135 x 5 x 2 sets
225 x 6
275 x 6 x 4 sets
Everything felt good. I only had a tiny bit of pain in my knee and hip - like a 1 out of 10.

HACK SQUAT MACHINE
180 x 8
270 x 8 x 4 sets
All good here too - very little discomfort in my knee.

RFESS
60 x 8 ea
40 sec rest between each leg. Felt like it took forever to get through these.

BIKE
20 min interval, L5/10 for about 8 minutes and L6/12 the rest. I kept the RPMs at 90 or above and covered 5.28 miles and burned around 230 calories.

I was supposed to do leg extensions but my PT said to avoid them with my left leg. I thought I was going to do the brutal Airdyne bike workout of 20 sec all out followed my 2 min of cruising but I had no energy at this point. I only had a banana and double protein shake around 10 this morning and my workout started at 1. I was also almost 400 calories under my target yesterday. I felt drained by the time I got to the bike. I don’t know how @jackolee is pushing through right now. Training while depleted sucks.

6 Likes