Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Yeah, I’ve never even thought about doing it, but then looked back over past week - and basically stayed right at 2500(ish) calories - but blew up on Saturday (actually stopped tracking after appetizer at dinner) and had a big meal, desert, and post meal drinks. Dinner + Drinks were $300 for each couple (celebration for them getting pregnant) but I don’t care where you are, $300 of food is going to be a lot of calories!

Anyway, then ate normal yesterday, but if I’d (for instance) done just 3 big protein shakes (600-700 calories) or even just water and one shake - I’d go from an average of 2700 calories per day (6x2500 and 1x4000) to 2400 (5x2500, 1x4k, 1x500) - or saving 2,000 calories per week.

1 Like

I’ve managed to go from dinner to dinner fasted but I haven’t done a full day. I think it can be a useful approach for people who can suffer for one day but struggle to stay on track all week.

I’ve done several months of 2 x 800 calorie days every week. They suck pretty hard, but they’re manageable. Couldn’t say they were any more effective than just regularly controlling calories to be honest though. It also limits your training days because no-one is going to train productively with that little food in them.

If you’re going to try, I would recommend you do them on busy days. It seems counter intuitive but I initially did them on days where I was fairly inactive (~5000 steps if you like numbers) and it was hell. I also did them on days where I was on my feet all day (~15000+ steps) and it felt more manageable. I also found it easier to manage if i cut all carb sources.

@bustedwheel

3 Likes

Chest gets hit on chest and shoulder day, plus possibly arm day.
Back gets hit on back, and probably quads/hams days too, and possibly arm day.
Shoulders get hit on chest, back, shoulders, and arm day.
Quads and hams usually overlap too.

There should always be some overlap in a good bro split - if not, it’s probably poorly designed.

1 Like

That’s my problem. My non training days are work days and sometimes they’re slow. I actually have the most trouble with hunger on my work days.

I think I’ll be fine. I’ll definitely throw some face pulls or reverse fly’s in on back day to hit the rear delts.

The added cardio is also burning up my legs so there’s stimulation even if it’s not traditional lifting.

It’s still doable, I did it many times. It’s more mentally demanding though. I think the days where I was tired and hungry and fairly sedentary where much worse than any other though. Even the full day of baking on 500 cals was better than those.

A little late, a date night followed by a day with your mom, should be a caloric surplus… It really doesn’t matter as long as you don’t do it everyday.
Hope you’ve had a some awesome days.

1 Like

Chest Day

We met my parents at a donut shop for breakfast, but I just had coffee. Afterwards we all split up. My mom, wife, and kids went shopping while my dad and I went to the gym. We didn’t do the same workout but it still fun.

ELLIPTICAL
10 min as warm up

INCLINE BENCH
45 x 20
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5 x 4 sets

superset with
TOES TO BAR
3 x 10

DB BENCH
60 x 10, 10, 8

MACHINE BENCH
130 x 8
110 x 10, 12

DECLINE DB FLY
35 x 10
25 x 10, 10

SIDE TO SIDES + PULSE UP
2 x 15/15/15

MORE CARDIO
10 min split between two machines that I’ve never used.

After this we got cleaned up and met back up with the other half of the family for pizza and bowling. We only bowled one game but that was enough for me. My IT band is still jacked up and it hurt to throw the ball. I managed to bowl a 150 though.

It’s been a pretty awesome day and it’s not over. I’m meeting a buddy for beers at Old Chicago at 5 to catch up. I could use a nap right now though.

3 Likes

Man I’m the opposite. My work days are so busy I sometimes have trouble even getting my water in. It’s the lazy Sunday that killes me. Keep telling my stomach you’re not hungry you’re bored!

1 Like

@dagill2 - makes a lot of sense. Today, for instance, I could have easily just hung on till dinner with basically nothing all day - because I’ve had no time to do anything but work - including a workout break, but basically go-go-go - could have easily skipped breakfast and mid-day protein shake - and working till 7 - so dinner could skip too. Interesting concept.

Mine too. That’s why hunger is less of an issue. I don’t have time to be hungry.

1 Like

My work days during the colder months can be slow which makes not eating a problem. I tend to notice my hunger more when I’m bored.

You’re a police officer - this isn’t ok!

I don’t know why I forget to check the training logs section; great stuff

2 Likes

I like donuts, but they’re actually not satisfying as a meal. They’re more of a treat or dessert.

I had to make a decision between donuts and pizza and I chose pizza.

2 Likes

A true Sophie’s choice, but you made the right call

1 Like

Depends on the pizza and the donuts. A New York slice vs Dunkin’ Donuts, sure, pizza, but hot Krispy Kreme’s vs Pizza Hut, I’m kremin’ all over the place.

1 Like

Pizza all day long given that choice. Not even close

1 Like

I’m with @flappinit it depends on the pizza and the doughnuts. Bad pizza is deff not better than good doughnuts.

I guess for me it’s that I don’t crave sweet very much in general. Soft pretzel and nacho cheese will always trump cinnimon roll etc. the only real exception is ice cream. Ice cream trumps all

Woke at 220.6 lbs. All of the cheats and social obligations are over so it’s time to suck it up and get back to disciplined eating.

1 Like