Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Ice cream is my Achilles heel!

2 Likes

Woke at 220.6 lbs. Up 0.2 lbs from yesterday and my highest weigh-in for the week by 0.4 lbs. I think I’ll call that a win since I ate crap food for dinner the last two days. I’m expecting to see 219 on the scale on Monday because I have no reason to stray from healthy foods the rest of the weekend.

My high school alma mater is playing in the 4A State Championship game tonight and my parents are going. That means we won’t have our usual dinner with them after church. That’s a good thing for my nutrition because it means there won’t be any bread, guacamole, or dessert. I can eat what I want.

Work is probably going to suck today but the time should go fast. We have five officers which means we can cover two active calls and one report call at a time (two officers for every call except reports where only the victim is on scene). We had 12 officers Thursday and 10 yesterday. The weekends always suck.

I kind of want to work out today but it goes against this new split/program. I hit everything upper body yesterday to get me through the weekend. I could do some light cardio but I don’t really want to work up a sweat during my shift. I might not have time for a workout anyway.

I think I’ve finally settled on my training split. I opted to try the four day template from the Tried and True Bodybuilding Template so I didn’t have to train three days during work. I looked at the layout again and was able to move some things around so I can train five days a week while still only training on two work days.

I think, repeat, think, this will be my split going forward:

Monday: Chest/Abs
Tuesday: Back/Calves
Wednesday: Quads/Abs
Thursday: Off
Friday: Shoulders/Hams
Saturday: Arms/Abs

This leaves with me only one legitimate training day during work and I can still do all of my training at my work gym or the Y. I have the itch to do something every day to keep my metabolism up and keep my body active. I know rest days have their place but I feel like I’m just wasting opportunities. Saturday’s arm day will give me something to do without adding much stress to my body. I don’t think it’s going to affect any other days of the week either.

So now I have a reason to sneak down to the gym today! Unfortunately, my biceps tendon is going to prevent arm day from being what it could truly be, but I’ll do my best.

5 Likes

Sounds like a good training plan for your personality haha

1 Like

I like that clam shell against the wall. I’m stealing that one.

1 Like

The prone straddle hold is my favorite. You basically extend your hips to raise your legs off the ground and spread them as far as you can and hold it. I did 15 second holds at first and then I tried doing pulses or quick reps. I went out as far as I could and then brought my legs in 5-6 inches and then went back out just to get some movement. Talk about feeling the burn!! I feel these better and think they’ll work better than the reverse clams and side lying abduction.

I have to make sure I don’t use my TFL and the best way to do that is to have my hip extended. It’s tough to get much resistance with a band when my leg is going back and up during the side lying abduction.

2 Likes

I think with the kind of split you’re doing you’re fine with minimal rest days. Since you’re not doing a large volume of heavy compound lifts you’re always resting something, even on your training days. Also, lemon cake sounds delicious. Lemon bars are a particular weakness for me.

1 Like

I like your new split J.
I’m going the BB way too after my program.
I’m really finding it hard to do only one day of each muscle group.

2 Likes

Everything will get plenty of rest. Adding the arm day just gives me an extra day to train. I feel strange sitting on my rear for two days in a row.

It was good, but my favorite is anything with chocolate.

I haven’t even officially started this program since I just decided to try it a few days ago. I’m also struggling with the once a week thing. I’ve never done it. I have always hit everything at least twice a week so I feel like I’m losing gains if I don’t train frequently. However, I like the idea of only having one leg day a week :smile:. I also think it will give my joints more of a break since I won’t be pressing three to four days a week. There will be more volume, but less sessions so I think they’ll like it.

1 Like

Arms

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
135 x 8
155 x 8, 8, 8, 6

superset with

DB HAMMER PREACHER CURL
25s x 8 holy crap my tendon stayed in place!
30’s x 1 nope, just a cruel trick on set 1

So, as you can see those curls did not work out. Once my tendon pops out of the groove I have to move my arm in a circle to get it to go back in place. I decided to skip that and try to curl with it out of the groove. It was just going to pop out anyway, right? Well, that freaking hurt and I had no strength.

LATERAL CABLE CURL
50 x 8 ea x 4 sets

REV CABLE PRESS DOWN
130 x 10 x 4 sets

LYING LEG RAISE W/ PULSE UP
3 x 10

OH ROPE EXTENSION
100 x 10
80 x 15 x 2 sets

REV CABLE CURL
90 x 10 x 2 sets
70 x 15 x 2 sets

BARBELL WRIST CURLS
45 x 50

DB WRIST EXTENSION
10 x 15, 15, 10 ea
Just alternated back and forth without resting.

Total Time: 31 minutes

3 Likes

Woke at 220.8 lbs and a little hungry.

I really thought I might see 219 today. I’m hoping the issue is my late protein shake. I’m usually a little heavier if I drink casein right before bed.

I’m not quite ready to add morning cardio or anything crazy like that.

1 Like

Either today or tomorrow I bump to morning and evening cardio… oh joy!!!

1 Like

That’s been my aim too - and have managed to add a little size to right places over last few months with a caloric deficit - but haven’t lost quite as much as I expected, probably due to 1 lazy diet day per week. But I’ve been gaining on my shoulders, arms and lower quads just from getting 2x the volume on some basic moves than what I had been doing. We’re talking maybe an extra 100 lat raises, lunges, and curls. My neck is still stuck at 16 1/2-3/4” which is annoying.

All annoying.

2 Likes

Well, I think I destroyed my chances of seeing 219 tomorrow. We’re implementing date night on Sundays so we went out to dinner. I had some damn good food, but probably went over my calories.

My meal was a fajita bowl - basically fajitas sans tortillas which was perfect. I also held off on the cheese and sour cream. I had a few pieces of my wife’s pita bread and hummus and then had a protein bar at home for dessert.

I’m about to really blow it with some beer or wine.

Tomorrow my mom wants to meet for donuts for breakfast and then go bowling at noon. The alley serves the delicious pizza I had on New Years. I’m not sure what I’m going to do. Right now I’m leaning towards eating pizza for lunch and only having protein shakes the rest of the day.

Going back to Thursday when I had cheap frozen pizza, this has been a rough stretch and I’ve failed miserably at sticking to the plan. Pizza, Taco Bell, tonight, and possibly more (but much better) pizza tomorrow. Stupid Spring Break.

Guess I just added another week to this process. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it but the new goal is 213 instead of 215. Seven pounds to go before this speed bump.

4 Likes

Think of it as a metabolic reset. And enjoy life a little bit then get back on track.

2 Likes

I agree with the hog, partly because it makes me feel better about my own culinary indiscretions…

2 Likes

Well, I only had two glasses of wine which is half of a 1.75L bottle for me.

Perhaps I’ll see 222 or less in the morning.

We do date night on Wednesday’s… man it’s awesome to have one night a week where you can just have fun together. Good for you guys!

2 Likes

Setbacks give us a chance to improve more times on the way to our goals :sunglasses:. What are your general thoughts on doing one day a week total fasting?

Woke at 220.2 lbs so last night wasn’t a total train wreck! Also, I’ve never seen the same number on the scale for a week straight. My weight usually goes up and down by several pounds from day to day. I think the consistency is due to consistent eating - even with the junk I snuck in there.

We used to do it and it fell apart on us. My wife has been really busy the past year and adding to our causes a lot of stress.

She’s a teacher M-F. She’s getting her Masters and has class on Monday nights. And she’s a coach on a running club and they have practice Wednesday nights at the track. For awhile she was also training with people on Thursday nights.

We go to church Saturday nights with my parents and then have dinner afterwards.

That’s a lot of evening plans for her.

I’ve done it a couple of times after some really bad days of eating and it sucks. I’m not desperate yet.

2 Likes