Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Dude… why do you keep messing with your hip and shoulder by training? The more you piss your body off, the more you may have to take time rehabbing it. Or the worse the injuries will become

1 Like

I’m not understanding any of this either.

I dont think this is what you need right now, but good luck with it regardless.

I haven’t done anything to mess with my hip. Lunges have never really bothered it. And the doctor told me that I’m not going to hurt anything by using my shoulder. As I stated, I didn’t have any trouble during my workout except with the hang clean and I did everything I could to limit my biceps activation (and I only had to do that five times). I never felt a full pop; I could just feel it pulling like it wanted to slip.

Last night was actually the best session I’ve had while lifting for my shoulder. I was even able to do the reverse curls under fatigue without any biceps tendon movement. I guess I did a good job of fatiguing everything and when I relaxed and did normal things I could feel the tendon moving.

And under the circumstances, a good workout was worth more than any pain or discomfort yesterday (not that experienced that). I needed it and I’d do it again.

3 Likes

Didn’t the doctors say it was just inflammation in your hip and tell you that it wasn’t your bicep that was the problem? Doctors aren’t very trust worthy. Didn’t lifting cause your shoulder and hip problems too? If it caused it im sure it could worsen it. Just don’t want you to get severely injured man

When my hip started hurting again I went back to the doctor. That was in August. He thought it was just inflammation so he prescribed a 30 day supply of Mobic which is an anti inflammatory. That didn’t do anything for the pain. I also ran through a prescription of prednisone which is a stronger anti inflammatory. In October I got an injection directly into my hip that was a steroid. It was supposed to reduce inflammation. I haven’t had any relief from my hip pain. I’m guessing it’s more than inflammation.

My biceps tendon is popping out of the groove in the humerus. It’s supposed to have some tissue that holds it down but it can tear. Once it does, it doesn’t grow back or heal. According to my recent MRI, my biceps tendon is still in the groove but it’s not quite in the middle like it should be. The sensation I feel when it “pops” is the tendon popping all the way out of the groove. The doctor said it won’t get any worse and I can just try to live with it. He recommended avoiding painful things (which I do). I’m also trying to avoid things that I know will make it slip. It didn’t pop last night during training but it was getting close and I think the overall fatigue allowed it to finally slip once I was done and stopped focusing on it. It didn’t hurt; it’s just an unpleasant feeling.

Woke at 239.0 lbs.

I didn’t do anything today. It’s cold and I worked. That’s about it. I just ruined that 239 weight with some pizza for dinner. My stomach is back to normal and I feel good. I’m also hungry.

I wrote out three different circuits to run throughout the week. I’m not committed to any one rep scheme but I think I’ll use the same weights on all sets to keep it simple. I might do 5x5, 3x8, etc. I’ll be starting with 5x5 though. I tried to pick exercises so that I don’t have to clean the bar back to the rack. I’m going to give overhead squats a shot. They’ll be very light and will probably challenge my mobility and stability more than anything. I think that’ll be a good thing…?

20181229_155917

3 Likes

Woke at 238.6 lbs so last night wasn’t too bad. I had a good day of eating and thought I blew it last night with pizza and chocolate.

1 Like

Just remember, full body is anti-recovery. I’ve always loved full body, but it has not loved me back. There’s just not enough opportunity for full recovery, even only at 3x/week. What happens is you slowly dig deeper into recovery debt until something breaks. I’m a case study example.

You dont think you’re building fatigue with some of the smaller movements, say split squats or OH squats, but you are. Especially with your personality type to push everything harder than necessary.

Edit: this is obviously not targeted at everyone, but it is for those that are injured or not recovering optimally.

2 Likes

I’ve actually done well with full body in the past. I ran a full body 5/3/1 variation for awhile and enjoyed it. This particular round of full body is only designed for conditioning and muscle maintenance. My top priorities are still to lose fat and get in better shape. I shouldn’t really be pushing my limits on any of the exercises.

I’m trying to build my own thing here. I’m not pursuing strength at the moment, but I also don’t like the “run yourself into the ground” CrossFit type stuff (obviously). I think a full body circuit with no rest, lower reps, and higher weights could get me to where I want to be. I get to move some weight which always feels good. I get to push the pace and work on my conditioning, but there won’t be any sets long enough to really destroy me. The cumulative effect should be 30 to 40 minutes of moderate to high intensity work.

Happy cake day!

2 Likes

I recently got a punisher skull teeshirt and it’s my favourite training top. It reminds me of your avatar and therefore by default you’re my lifting partner haha

2 Likes

Nice! I have two shirts with The Punisher on them. One is the Under Armour one that I’ve seen CT wear (it was a Father’s Day gift) and the other is from the local supplement shop. I always wear one if it’s going to be a rough day at the gym. It seems fitting.

1 Like

Yeah I was box squatting today and before my 1RM attempt all I could think was
“Go with God”
‘… God’s gonna sit this one out’

2 Likes

Happy New Year J :slight_smile:

About the full body and recovery, I think as long as you’re not doing high intensity for several reps it’s good.
I did BfB and added some weights every week by week 4 or 5 my 1 rep was very close to 1RM and 2 reps were over 90% as well and 3 reps were close to 90%. That I couldn’t recover from.
And I know by now that you’re a smart guy about these things, so I find your circuits very good. So good luck with them I hope they bring some joy back to lifting.

1 Like

Woke at 236.8 lbs. I’ll be taking my BEFORE photo tomorrow morning since that’s when the challenge starts. I also wanted to let the crap from Christmas get out of my system so it’s a real picture and not a bloated one.

I’m not pushing the weights like B4B. I kind of used some of my weights from when I ran B4B in July/August for my circuit Friday and I got my 3RM for the last round (1 rep). I remember B4B feeling brutal after just a few days.

I can use more than 135 for Hang SGHP but that weight feels good for a circuit with five reps so there’s no reason to mess with that.

I see no reason to add weight to the bar until I’m healthy. A bad hip and shoulder make it impossible to even focus on one lift so I’ll just settle for conditioning and maintenance.

2 Likes

Exactly my point, when adding weight every week the weight gets to intense. But keeping a weight that’s challenging but not draining is good.

I’m going to have to go light on these workouts. I plan to do 5 x 5 instead of 5/4/3/2/1. I’m guessing the last couple of rounds are going to be much harder than the first. I might need to use a 10RM.

1 Like

The approach to training right now from you is very responsible. Working with this shoulder for me is hard to hold back, but we really have no reason to push the boundaries right now. We are not world class competition lifters that desire to break world records. So we can chill and heal.

2 Likes

Hopefully. I’m still waiting for the healing part. My hip is 0% better than it was when I quit squatting and deadlifting. I can’t help but think “If it’s the same if I train or rest then what’s the point in resting?”

I’ll see the doctor in two weeks to see how he thinks I should proceed.

Training

LIMBER 11 WARM UP

AB CIRCUIT (2 rounds)
Ab Coaster 50 x 10
Side Plank w/ Abduction x 10 ea
Back Ext 45 x 12

CIRCUIT (5 rounds, 5 reps ea)
OHP 95
Pull Ups x 5
OH Squat 95 / Reverse Lunge 95
SA DB Floor Press 60
SA DB Row 95

I swapped OH Squats for Reverse Lunge after two rounds because I couldn’t keep it stable.

YTWLI RAISES
5s x 10 ea

MACHINE FLY
110 x 10F/10T/10B
110 x 10 1.5 reps

1 Like

I wish I could give you some guidance hear man. Not that you need any. If it is simply a scar tissue type of thing than I would say you need to break that shit loose and get back a good range of motion and work through the pain. But it seems more than that to you and me both reading through your log. Going to the doctor is the right move even though modern day doctors (most of them anyway) seem more interested in farming your insurance company than fixing you.

I find it funny how you self diagnosed the bicep tendon and had to tell your doctor what was going on. My wife and I have done that with our doctors numerous times. With not only ourselves but our kids health.

The doctor told my son that lifting weights and squats would create problems for his knee pain. I had been reading the bro-vice that deep squats would improve knee health and followed the lifting community advice. He told me the other day his knee ROM has never been better or pain free since the issue developed.

My advice is dig into the lifting community information apply it to your situation and get it better. There are times you need a doctor and his knife but the body can heal a way around it sometimes that is better in the long run…

I have a confession! I have been planning to take my BEFORE pic on January 1st as stated earlier today. I fear that I will be submitting a bloated pic that is not going to be an accurate representation of my normal daily physique.

I’m currently making shredded chicken in the Instant Pot and Velveeta queso in the slow cooker. Dinner will be chicken nachos with a bed of Nacho Cheese Doritos as the base. I also have an ODell Brewing Co variety pack on the back porch (cowboy cold).

My New Year’s (and sometimes Super Bowl) tradition is to stay home with my wife. The only thing I miss about the social outings is the food. My solution is to make my own queso. Last year I even cooked some ribs in the Instant Pot for the Super Bowl. As long as I get queso I’m happy!

5 Likes