Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Powerbuilding is your friend in looking jacked and being strong. Plus it gives the normal accessory lifts some time off.

1 Like

Woke at 243.2 lbs. My dinner wasn’t healthy - store bought pizza. Today is rest day. My legs/hamstrings are sore. I’m glad I held back on RDLs.

1 Like

Sore legs is a good thing. That’s what I keep telling myself. My quads cramped up twice yesterday lol

I screwed up though. I’m supposed to plan my week so that I’m the most sore/tired on my days off. Today is my first day back to work. I did the completely wrong thing by hitting legs the day before I return to work lol!

I might have to rethink my schedule to get legs back on Mondays.

1 Like

Daily Dose of Deadlift (aka 3D) Day 1

185 x 5 x 2 sets
235 x 2
275 x 2
325 x 1
375 x 1 x 3 sets

Sorry, @duketheslaya, I started early! I was sore AF today and wanted to loosen up. After my second warm up set my low back and hamstrings felt much better. I obit did three singles since I’m so sore (the program calls for 3-5 singles). I’m using 500 lbs as my max since that’s the most I’ve pulled on a stiff bar.

6 Likes

why oh why are you throwing all these new shiny objects after me.
I feel like a raven running after each and every one.
Must stay focused for another two months then it’s DDD, no the 4 horsemen, no 531, no Built for bad, ARGH decisions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is a good one for me while I decrease my leg volume. I also enjoy it so it’s good for my mental health.

3 Likes

Woke at 241.4 lbs.

Tonight is conditioning, abs, 3D, and Shoulder day 2. It might be a long workout…which sucks. If I don’t haul ass then I’ll get home just as the kids go to bed. I hate it, but I might just run a mile for my warm up. It’ll be miserable but it’ll count as a warm up and conditioning and it’ll take less than 10 minutes.

1 Like

Training

CONDITIONING
Run 1 miserable mile (9:10)
A mile is six laps and the lower back pump arrived after lap one. FML.

ABS
Machine Crunch 110 x 10F/10T/10B
Cable Twist 70 x 10 ea
Push Up Plank x 45 sec
Cable Twist 70 x 10 ea

DEADLIFT
135 x 3
225 x 3
315 x 3
375 x 1 x 3 sets

CLEAN PULLS
245 x 2 x 5 sets (30 sec rest)

MACHINE OHP
80 x 12 x 3 sets
80 x 8 + 65 x 4
50 x 12 x 2 sets

CABLE UPRIGHT ROW
15 x 12 x 6 sets ea

INCLINE REV CABLE FLY
10 x 12
10 x 17 (AMRAP)
10 x 12 (AMRAP)
This was supposed to be 6 sets of 12 but I’d been there long enough so I went with two sets to failure and left. The workout still took an hour.

On the plus side I feel like I accomplished something with this workout. The deadlifts and clean pulls feel good. The shoulder work feels like mindless volume. Next week I only have to do four sets.

5 Likes

Glad to hear it! It’s early, but the DDD looks like a keeper for you right now.

Forgot to weigh myself this morning. We’re short staffed at work. Another Bureau has even less people than us and is finishing up a homicide from last night. None of their people have been able to answer calls in their Bureau so that’s where I’ve been all morning. Luckily it hasn’t been too busy in my area or theirs. With the staff shortage I don’t know if I’ll be able to go to the gym for my lunch break (or if I’ll get a lunch break). I might just come home for lunch and knock out my deadlifts and try to get my upper body lift done tomorrow.

I’m still considering rearranging my whole week. Having sore legs during all of my work days is a bad idea. I’m tempted to add a Daily Dose of squats. I figure I’m only good for a 300 lb squat (if that) right now so my daily dose weight would be 225. I don’t think I’d be sore from that but I’d be getting good leg work every day. I only need to maintain my legs for now so it could work. I’d still keep clean pulls and my shoulder program on Mondays and Fridays. I might just add a bit more upper body to the program. It’s hard for me to train a muscle group once a week without being paranoid about going backwards. I also get quite sore by only stimulating the muscle once every 7 days.

Yep. I just really enjoy the movement. It only takes a few reps to help me loosen up too. My legs have been sore since Wednesday’s dedicated leg workout but the DDD loosens up the hamstrings. I tighten up again later but it provides some temporary relief.

Lunch Break Session at Home

3D

DEADLIFT
185 x 3
275 x 2
325 x 1
375 x 1 x 5 sets
So I’m stupid and strained my right hamstring again. I strained both last week while running 40’s but they are pretty much healed up. I’m stiff/sore from RDL’s (still) and I threw a little stretch reflex into one of my reps and it just strained the hamstring again. It’s minor, but that was dumb.

SQUAT
135 x 5
225 x 1 x 5 sets
So 225 is probably too easy but I’ve decided to double down on the Daily Dose and add squats. This little session took 14:26.

1 Like

Well I’ve reorganized my training spreadsheet. The goal was three full body days per week. It just doesn’t work right now. I had it set up for training Mon/Wed/Fri, but I also need to do conditioning on Tuesdays and Fridays. That makes Friday way too long since it’s the only night of the week that I train while the family is at home. I decided to do my daily dose of squats and deads plus clean pulls on Fridays after I do my conditioning and abs. It will be like last night’s session but without the marathon of shoulder training. I think it can be a reasonably quick session. I’ll warm up, do some running, do a quick ab circuit, and then hit 5 x 1 on squats and deads and then finish with clean pulls. I think it could be a 30-45 minute session and that’s perfectly reasonable. I could also do it at home but I doubt I ever do because the treadmill slips. I don’t want to break it.

On Saturdays I’ll just have a bit of upper body work to do and it should go quickly. It’s something I can do at the work gym during my lunch break.

I’m also starting over on The Daily Dose program so Monday will be day 1. There’s really no change except I’ll get a few more days at 75% before I jump up to 80% on day 7.

1 Like

Sooo… You and me both. When I read that line, something pinged on my workout radar. I read the original Daily Dose of Deadlifts article, and this seems like something my body is looking for.

I think that’s an excellent idea. The low-stress approach would give your hip a rest while keeping your legs strong and always ready for action.

Would you run both squats and deadlifts or do just one daily exercise per block? Will you keep other exercises and types of training, such as sprinting and your shoulder regiment? How will you program it so the other stuff doesn’t strip away recovery and undermine the basis of DDD/S?

I’m going to do both each day. My other training is going to be conditioning, abs, and upper body with a shoulder focus.

MONDAY
3D
Power Clean or Clean Pull
OHP
Lat Cable Raise
DB Bench
Hammer Row

TUESDAY
Conditioning & abs

WEDNESDAY
3D
Lean Away Lat DB Raise
Cable Upright Row
DB Incline
Hammer Pull Down
Hip Abd/Add

THURSDAY
3D

FRIDAY
Conditioning
Abs
3D
Clean Pulls

SATURDAY
OHP
Incline Rev Cable Fly
Cable Fly
Cable Row
Bi’s/Tri’s

SUNDAY
3D

3D might include some variations on deadlifts. I might throw in some RDLs as well. I’m pretty much letting conditioning, clean pulls, and 3D be my leg work for now.

1 Like

Solid.

With the program, is there any day you can take totally off if you need to?

This DDD looks very intriguing to me.

I’m thinking about doing it with squat and bench, and I’ll be doing it from the start of the new year.
Meaning I have the rest of the year to see how it affects you guys.

2 Likes

Yes. For now I’ve planned it so that I only do conditioning and abs on Tuesday and a light upper body session on Saturday. The Saturday session won’t take much out of me. I feel better doing a little bit most days of the week so I didn’t want to have a complete day off. It wouldn’t take much to move Sunday’s 3D to Saturday or the following Tuesday to get a complete day of rest.

I don’t think it would matter if I skipped a day. The program sets aside certain days that you increase the weight. Day 7 is 80%. Day 14 is 85%. Day 21 is 90%. Day 28 drops back to 82%. Every 7th workout the weight increases for a day but every other workout in the program is at 75%. I think it goes for 45 workouts and then suggests that you max again.

Woke at 241.8 lbs. Last night wasn’t a planned cheat meal and it actually wasn’t too bad but I had some Halloween candy for dessert. I’ve tentatively planned Saturday evenings as my cheat meal for the week because my parents usually come over for dinner. We don’t eat terrible but there’s usually more calorie dense foods available.

Last night was salad, meatloaf, and bread. The appetizer was veggies and hummus.

5 Likes

Spill the beans, what candies did you eat?

I’m a sucker for Halloween candies. I love all the cheap chocolate mini bars, swedish fish, sour patch kids, etc. We keep 3 buckets filled at all times (lol) for after dinner treats for the kids (and adults).

Sometimes I’ll binge and eat 15 different bars/candies lol

3 Likes