Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Woke at 240.4 lbs.

I looked at the program I wrote before hurting my shoulder because I was going to tweak the leg day. I should really just leave it as is. It has exercises I can do pain free and the rep scheme is fine for maintenance. It actually has a little bit of progression built into it.

I’m undecided about whether or not to move forward to week two of the Shoulder Overhaul program or stay at week one until I can do all of the exercises. I did everything from the actual shoulder program; I was just unable to do the clean work that I’d planned. I still can’t clean though. I might try clean pulls and if I can do those then maybe I’ll just do those both days. The original plan was cleans on Monday and Clean Pulls on Thursdays/Fridays.

I’ve revisited my shoulders symptoms. Doc thought I’d have pain on a cable crossover type movement. He was wrong! LOL! I had no problems with cable fly’s yesterday. The odd thing is that my shoulder felt better than it has in months when I did DB Incline. The test for biceps tendon subluxation is to hold the elbow against your body, flex it to 90 degrees, and supinate the forearm while flexing the bicep. This still causes a sharp pop in my shoulder. This is a positive test for biceps tendon subluxation. I’m beginning to think that I tore the tissue that holds the biceps tendon in the groove. But, the newfound freedom of movement has eliminated my pressing pain. Weird… (I should probably stop self diagnosing)

The downside to my current shoulder situation is that I still can’t tolerate pulling movements. The popping hurts and it the pain causes me to relax or stop pulling. The body’s good ol’ protective mechanisms and all. If the pain would stop then I could probably force it, but I don’t know that that would lead to anything positive. Repetitive snapping of the tendon would result in inflammation which leads to pain which leads to weakness and atrophy.

On the plus side, if (and this is a big if) I ended up having surgery then I’d only be in a sling for four weeks. My last shoulder surgery had me in a sling for three months. I struggled to follow their rules though.

3 Likes

I love what you are doing. It is great and I am certain that soon you will supplement your current paycheck with something from what you love doing with something from what you love doing.

2 Likes

The internet is a beautiful place. When I hurt my SI joint I was reading about it constantly. Before bed, during lunch at work, after my workout, and before bed. It’s definitely good to get a professional opinion, but the internet can give you a pretttty good idea of what’s going on and how to avoid making it worse.

The only problem is that the internet is telling me something different than the doctor. I should just shut up and listen but nearly every injury I’ve had was worse than doctors originally thought. All the conservative “wait and see” crap just prolonged my problem. It’s made me impatient.

I definitely shouldn’t want another surgery but if something is broke and that’s the way to fix it then I’m ready.

1 Like

Woke at 241.4 lbs.

I’m currently at the doctor with my son. We both have some sort of cold that started in the chest with a cough. We’ve battled it for a week but it hasn’t improved. Time for some meds.

I’m not going to the gym today. I might goof around in the home gym this afternoon.

3 Likes

Take it easy Big J, get rid of the cold and do some easy workouts.
And if your program is as good as you think, do it man.

2 Likes

My wife and one of my daughters are sick and on meds right now. Same crap, bad cough. Lots of junk going around.

Feel better. Train if you feel like it!

1 Like

:eyes: watching you recover man.

3 Likes

Woke around 244 lbs.

The junk I have is viral so no meds. Awesome.

I didn’t train yesterday. I was busy on the computer trying to take care of some busy work that will hopefully alleviate the bad situation I’ve created.

I’ll go to the gym today to at least do my shoulder workout. I’m not too sure if I’ll do a good job with my conditioning.

2 Likes

AM Workout (at home)

CONDITIONING (half assed)
Treadmill: walk 1 min, jog 2 min x 4 + 1 extra min walking.

Walk @ 3.0 mph, jog @ 6.0 mph except last one. It was 7.0 mph.

Treadmill slips with my fat ass on it so I won’t be doing much of this in the future. This wasn’t a tough workout; I just can’t force myself to struggle while jogging. I hate it.

AB WHEEL
3 x 10

HANG CLEAN PULL
185 x 3
235 x 3 x 2 sure
255 x 3 x 4 sets

FULL V UP
3 x 10

Did alternating sets of pulls and abs for the most part. I’ll head back down to do my shoulder program during my son’s nap.

2 Likes

PM Training

Shoulder Overhaul Week Two

WARM UP
Band Face Pulls 2 x 20
Push Ups 2 x 15

SEATED OHP (no back support)
95 x 12
85 x 12
85 x 10
75 x 8
75 x 9
75 x 10
I did standing OHP Friday and hit 95 for 3 x 12. I guess sitting down is harder? This hurt my shoulder at the start but I could tolerate a narrow grip. My grip got wider with each set and I had no pain.

LAT DB RAISE
10s x 15 x 6 sets

LEAN AWAY LAT DB RAISE
10 x 15 x 6 sets

CONCENTRATION DB CURL
25 x 25-5-3
Left arm only; double rest/pause.

The morning lifting session took 18 minutes. This one was closer to 50 minutes. Lots of volume. I can’t say that every set was a grind but I couldn’t do any more weight either.

3 Likes

I’m not totally sure about the certain amount of muscle thing. Know that I’ve never gotten to my “certain amount”. What I can say is that I’ve done a ton more shoulder work over the last 6 weeks. And had major gains on my delts and overall shoulder width with no losses anywhere else. Now, I will also note that I just started pressing again, but feel as wide at the shoulders as I’ve ever been.

1 Like

Glad to hear it!

I think most of my weight gain has been in my legs and rear. That’s not a bad thing but I’m only marginally stronger and my speed/power haven’t improved.

I’d like to add some size to my shoulders so that’s my new focus. Everything else is being trained for maintenance.

3 Likes

Woke at 242.0 lbs.

I stayed home yesterday because my son had a runny nose. I despise parents that send their kids to places like daycare like that. My wife says there’s one little boy at daycare who is gross every day of the year. She always blames him/his parents when our son gets sick.

Today’s plan is leg day! I think I’ll try the 10 x 3 with 60 sec rest plan on Deadlift. The strength version calls for 80% but I don’t think I’m ready for that. That’d be 405 for me (on a power bar) but 235 felt heavy when I started my pulls yesterday. I’m hoping to do 365.

I’ll be doing 4 x 6 on everything else - RFESS, squats, and RDLs.

3 Likes

I really notice this with my powerlifting focused training. Ass, hips, legs are big and bulky, but I’m not feeling as “big” when looking in the mirror.

Looking forward to the winter when I think I’m going to adopt a bit more of a bodybuilding approach. Right now I’m thinking a Full Body 3-day template. I’ll still squat/bench/deadlift, but just in lesser quantity and intensity.

I’m also planning on working some athleticism back into my program.

2 Likes

I’m still considering this. It’s a good bang for your buck. I feel great after a full body session. I always feel like I put in some work but I can’t say that after yesterday’s shoulder marathon.

I also know that my legs aren’t pretty. Big or small, they’re not really appealing. They’re never defined whether it’s from body fat or inflammation. But I can make my upper body look good. It’s time to focus on that and if my legs shrink a bit then it’ll be alright. No one will notice unless I’m running around in spandex.

1 Like

I really prefer full body. With my current set up, I’ve essentially got one day body heavy 5/3/1 where I hit all my main lifts - one day lighter weight higher reps full body compound lifts - one day full body isolation movements - then 2-3 days of athletic movements. Probably my favorite set-up I’ve run in quite a few years.

1 Like

Shoulder Overhaul Week Two Day 2

DEADLIFT
135 x 10 x 2 sets
225 x 5
315 x 3 EMOM x 10 sets
315 felt heavy so I stopped adding weight and decided to cut 10-15 sec from my rest. I’m glad I did; I really enjoy the EMOM approach.

SQUAT
135 x 6
225 x 6 x 2 sets beltless
225 x 6 x 2 sets

RFESS
135 x 6 ea
135 x 4 ea
I don’t know if it’s the three week layoff from a decent leg session, fatigue, or neural efficiency but these sucked! On paper in supposed to do 185 but I knew that wasn’t doable today. I was supposed to do 4 x 6 but called it early. Another problem is that my left ankle hurt when it was the support leg.

RDLs
135 x 8 x 3 sets
No hamstring pain from last week’s dual hamstring strains I had from sprinting. I still meant to keep it light because the movement is always painful after a layoff.

CONDITIONING
2 games of basketball with jello legs. I didn’t exactly do a lot but I got about 18 extra minutes of movement.

3 Likes

Solid first day on the 10x3 my man. With 45 seconds of rest there’s barely any time to sit down or get a drink between sets!!

1 Like

I had enough time to enter the set in my app and then stand there for about 25 seconds. I pulled a bench over during squats because I needed it for RFESS. I should’ve grabbed it sooner so I had a seat during deads.

1 Like