Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

How the fuck do you use that??

Freezer! It’s our annual supply. And I looked back at my paperwork and that’s the hanging weight. It decreased quite a bit during processing. I’d guess we got 60lbs of ground beef, 8 rib eye steaks, 8-10 t-bone steaks, 2 20+oz sirloin steaks, a huge Swiss steak, 3-4 lbs of cube steak, liver, and 4 or 5 big roasts.

1 Like

No no, I get the beef. Ha I mean that weird sex machine you used

1 Like

Finally replaced the battery to my scale. 229.4lbs this morning. I was 222.8 ten days ago. Not sure what happened because I haven’t really had a terrible meal is day. Had some less than good ones but I’ve still been close on overall calories.

The only change I’ve made is that I was eating 2880 and tracking my calories burned during exercise (as good as one can). I’d eat more to make up for working out. I decided to bump my daily intake to 3000 and quit tracking exercise so that I get the same fuel every day. I’ve also been working out more days per week since making the change so I thought I’d be low if I was off at all.

Oh well. Still needing to get the calipers out and check my body fat.

1 Like

Lmao!

You grab the handles and just do extension with your lower back. They redesigned the version with the pad on your upper back. It felt more like using the 45 degree back extension with a weight held with straight arms (instead of holding it close to your chest). I think it caused me to lower the weight and pay more attention to form than the old version.

Here’s the old and more common version:

Why wouldn’t you just use a hyper extension and do the back extension deadlifts? That looks like the 5th exercise selection for old people in their machine workouts.

1 Like

I said it was a new toy. It was next to the crunch machine. I was ready to leave but forced myself to do a bit more for my core so I tried it out.

4.18.17 (Push)

Still trying to find a way to be productive while not aggravating my hip.

Bench (Layers System)

1. 4x6 second isometric presses w/ bar about 2 inches above 90 degree elbow position
  2. 185x2, 205x2, 225x2, 245x2, 265x2, 270x2 (worked up to a 2RM)
  3. 3x4-6 reps with 90% of 2RM (245lbs today). Rest 10-12 seconds between EVERY rep, 2 minutes between sets. 3x4 w/ 245. Felt like I could’ve done 5 on each set but had no spotter and no safety bars.
  4. 3x6-8 reps w/ 70% of 2RM (185lbs today). 4-5 second eccentric, accelerate on concentric. Managed 3x6 w/ 185lbs.
  5. 1 set of mid-range reps with 50% 2RM. Stop just shy of the chest and lockout to keep constant tension. 3 seconds on eccentric and concentric. Manged to get 9 reps with 135lbs

Narrow Squats (4 and 3 Hole–I placed the safety bars 4 holes below the racked position, then moved it up to 3 as I went)

(4 Hole) 2x5 w/ 225, 2x5 w/ 245, 275x5, 295x3, 315x3
(3 Hole) 335x3, 355x3, 375x3

Standing DB Millitary (combo set with squats)
55’sx5, 9x5 w/ 45’s

Conditioning–This was a learning experience… Boy, did I suck.

Bodyweight Circuit for Time:
-100 lunges
-75 jumping jacks
-50 jump squats (modified to 1/2 jump squats due to my hip…and fatigue)
-25 pull-ups
-50 push-ups
-75 sit-ups
-100 squats (abs were cramping from sit-ups so these were fun)

Took me 24:40! Holy hell. I thought I was doing a 5-10 minute cardio session. I made sure to finish all reps on each exercise before moving on. Would have been much faster to knock out a set of each and then repeat but I don’t think that’s how it’s meant to be done.

Came home and ate a 12+ ounce T-Bone steak and a cup of oatmeal (only carbs easily available today). I feel a little better but I’m still smoked.

2 Likes

I don’t know what was going on yesterday but I weight 224.8 lbs this morning which is more in line with where I’ve been. I was 227.8 lbs yesterday AFTER breakfast and a bit sit-down trip to the bathroom so maybe I was a bit backed up. Typically don’t see a 1.6 lb loss after breakfast so that must’ve been some movement.

My son woke me up at 5:50 which gave the wife and I time to bust out the calipers and do some pinching. My body fat came in at 10.88%. I’m skeptical but I look at the measurements and I think they’re accurate. I’m carrying extra skin from my 240+ days. I’m also carrying my fat on my back which is disappointing to say the least. I’ll post some progress pics from my phone in a bit.

Today is going to be an active rest day. I’ll take the kids to the Y and shoot baskets or do some low intensity cardio. My legs are sore as F from yesterday’s conditioning. I’m not sure how it’ll make me better (in terms of strength) but at least I can do BW lunges to failure while I avoid things that hurt my hip.

For anyone curious here’s an equation that I take a look at every once in a while:

I found this in a detailed article about predicting your genetic potential. It’s been applied in reverse to bodybuilding champions of the past (dating back to the 1930’s and 40’s). I’m not sure how they found the measurements for those guys but I’d guess you could find a known object in a photo and use it to scale everything else? Either way it gives me something to look at and actually keeps me a little more sane. I always want to be bigger because that’s what I see everywhere, but from this equation my max lean body weight is around 211 lbs and max overall body weight is 237 at 11% body fat. If my body fat measurements from this morning are close at all then I can somehow gain another 12 lbs of lean mass. I think to get to that point I might need to hire a coach and nutritionist to really dial in my nutrition…like no more beer, pizza, cookies, etc. I don’t think I’m ready.

1 Like

Some older photos…

Here’s one from early 2007 during my internship at the Olympic Training Center…weight topped out at 247 that semester.

September 19, 2014 (weight was 224.8 on 9/15 & 223.2 on 9/30)

And today…

A couple things I noticed… I’m pale. I think my spine/hip is out of alignment (still). It looks like I have that “head forward” posture in the back view. And what little fat I have, I carry on my back and that sucks.

Here ya go, @MarkKO! Figured I’d put it out there since you did!

3 Likes

Your back is wide! Tapered waist too.

Thanks! That’s always been the goal. I always thought 2007 was my best physique–at one point I weighed 231 at 8% body fat (tested by the head strength coach of the USOC in Lake Placid). These photos show me that I’ve kept decent mass up top while trimming some excess.

Note that the '07 photo was during my bulking phase which was glorious at the Training Center.

1 Like

4.18.17 Training

Elliptical
28 min
4 min @ Level 1 Incline 4 followed by 4 min @ Level 8 Incline 10.

Hanging leg raises
10, 8, 8

Treadmill
Walk at 3.5 Incline til I covered 1 mile. Took 14:16.

Hanging leg raises
10, 8

1 Like

??? This confused me.

If I understand correctly…

Total 28mins
Level 1, Incline 4 for 4mins
Level 8, Incline 10 for 4mins

Took me a couple reads to picture it as well :wink:

Oh right.
Haven’t been on an Elliptical in 8 months so can’t remember the setting things.

Sorry about that. I was lazy. I picked the fat interval program and it ran me through what @littlesleeper listed.

1 Like