Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

This is what I wanted to say but I’m not a guy who wants to argue online (so I’m glad you said it)

Maybe I should just grow some balls

It’s because the majority of those people are likely to have a condition.
I linked the meta-analysis here that pretty much concluded that cholesterol from food does not affect your blood cholesterol without you having a condition

The thing here is that it does affect you before you know you have a condition, when you get to know you have it nothing really changes.

Because they are obese and have bad eating habits?
That’s the connection

That’s my point! Obese people overeat everything, including cholesterol. I’ll have the doc’s expert opinion in two days.

I looked through all the studies cited in your link. I see several problems with them. They actually remind me of strength training studies. The longest study was 12 weeks and they did a washout at the end. I think that means they stopped the cholesterol supplementation for three weeks before retesting their blood.

I think those studies were too short. They also only went up to 700ish mg of cholesterol. That’s barely double the RDAs for a 2000 calorie diet.

Even though I think the studies were too short and could have used higher amounts of added cholesterol, most still showed an increase in LDL levels. The summary downplayed it but I saw that observation in more than half studies.

My conclusion: high amounts of cholesterol (1000+ mg) over a long period (9-12 months) could result in elevated blood cholesterol since 600-700mg showed minor elevations in 3 or less months.

I also found it interesting that they used eggs and I just recently made them my scapegoat.

I’m gonna say that we should probably just wait for that instead of starting an internet war.

(Especially since there are not too many people on these boards, we shouldn’t fight just to avoid driving each other out of here)

I don’t fight; I discuss and debate and might even change my mind. It’s just too damn difficult to figure out the tone of voice through text so people misunderstand each other a lot.

2 Likes

I agree with this completely, it’s really hard to have a decent conversation over the internet when you have no idea of how you come across or how the other person wants to come across. (Especially when English is not my first language) I was quite sure we were a couple of inches away from starting a full-on war here so I had to back down a bit.

Glad to hear we were only having a formal discussion though

2 Likes

Haha, I don’t enjoy arguing online either. I’ve just had enough interactions on here with @Frank_C that I figured we could share our differences in opinions in a mature way without either party getting upset.

There were no bad thoughts coming from this side of the computer, just a different understanding of the complex issue of nutrition. The only reason I cared to share them was to help, not an attempt to educate or argue.

Make sure to report back what the doc says so we can continue this chat! That’s when I’ll tell you your doctor is dumb and you shouldn’t listen to him :wink:

3 Likes

Lol! I definitely consider all of the input here as constructive criticism and I know you guys are trying to help. That’s what we all do here - - encourage one another and offer to help where we can.

3 Likes

##6.18.17

Woke at 225.0 lbs after a night of drinking. I actually did some damage control at dinner and went with the salmon BLT instead of the open faced burger covered with fries and queso.

2 Likes

Lol your legs look especially crispy! Aloe Vera helps me to keep the peeling at bay. Looks like you will have to bathe in it though :joy:

1 Like

I’m on a two hour schedule. Every two hours I’m lathering up with some sort of lotion or aloe.

The photo doesn’t do my torso justice. It’s every bit as roasted as my legs. I’m not even going to work out today. It hurts to hold still.

1 Like

Happy Anniversary! :champagne: :tada:

1 Like

:open_mouth:
Ouch!!

Jesus man, that looks painful

I’m going to lock myself into the house now

Yep, it’s pretty bad–probably the 2nd worst sunburn I’ve ever had.

The worst was from my first tanning bed experience. The girl said 20 minutes would be fine for the first time. It roasted me just like this except I was naked. I had a sock on my junk but my ass was fried.

My 3rd worst burn was just on my back. I got fried laying sod shirtless. I let my buddy convince me that we should let our backs burn again and then we’d be set for the summer - - no more sunburns and tan. That was stupid. We just got blisters on our backs.

1 Like

That looks awful. A sunburn on too much of your body can actually be pretty dangerous. Take it easy and heal up!

2 Likes

You alive, bro? Does your gym need to buy a new bench after your skin peeled off onto it?

2 Likes

No max attempt yet. Sunburn threw a wrench into my plans. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow and then just try to salvage the week with some decent sessions. Next week I’ll start my new program. It’s not really much different than what I’ve been doing except I’ll be running Training Maximally on everything now.

1 Like

That’s one nasty burn.

##6.20.17

The doctor’s results are in!

@danteism @littlesleeper @MarkKO and anyone else who has paid attention to the great cholesterol debate.

I finally had my physical today. Doc isn’t concerned with my cholesterol numbers. LDL was 144 (0-130 is reference range), HDL was 61 (40-84 is reference range). My HDL is good which is why she wasn’t worried about my total being 220. I asked her about diet and she said that a person might be able to knock as much as 10% off of their total with dietary changes. I could potentially get my LDL down to 130 and back into range so I’ll keep working at that. She explained that most of our cholesterol is created by our bodies in the liver. She added that the bigger (fatter) a person gets the more cholesterol their liver creates. So I guess that’s the connection between fat people and high cholesterol.

I definitely learned something new today. She put in an order to have another lab done in three months so I’ll try to drop my LDL cholesterol by continuing to eat less cholesterol and more veggies. I don’t want to be on medication for this someday. 220 isn’t high enough for my Dr to put me on meds but it’s 20 points over the optimal range.

Some other notes from my appointment. My creatinine levels were high again. They’re always above normal but Doc doesn’t worry due to my training. She’s very aware that I eat more protein than most people and carry more muscle mass. She attributes the higher levels to those two things. The number also hasn’t changed since my last physical. She mentioned that one test for liver function was out of the normal range (high). She didn’t specify what exactly it was but she said it was a lower reading than last year so she wasn’t worried. The only reason this sticks out to me is the combination of this test with the high creatinine and my dad’s autoimmune disease with his liver. I hope these aren’t the early signs of a future problem. My dad has been battling his disease for over 10 years now. I remember being at the lake on vacation for a week and he was miserable. He found out soon after that his body was basically trying to kill his liver like it was a transplant. He’s been battling that ever since and I’m certain it will eventually lead to his death. I just hope it’s not anytime soon. He just turned 59.

##Training Plans

As I mentioned above I didn’t lift or do anything again today. I’m finally starting to drift into feeling like I have a normal sunburn with the exception of a few extra sensitive spots. I think I’ll be able to train tomorrow. I plan to max on bench and then do deadlifts. If I feel good I might try to pull 500. We’ll see. I think I’ll get a little more sore than usual from my week long layoff so the rest of this week will serve as a reintroduction to get ready for my usual training intensity next week.

3 Likes