Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

6 Likes

##5.30.17

224.2 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
4838 calories, 596g carbs, 181g fat, 224g carbs.

I had a fat day. Nothing else needs to be said.

4 Likes

Haha, now that is some food.

2 Likes

##Rest Day

Just kidding! I played four games of pickup ball today. I’d guess I was shooting or playing for over an hour. I actually feel pretty good too. My legs are sore but they loosened up nicely.

1 Like

It’s official–I lift weights! First pair of Chucks.

7 Likes

They’re the best. I wear them all the time. Well, except when I’m squatting, benching or DLing.

I try to buy shoes that are multipurpose. Hopefully these will be good for lifting and casual wear.

I used to have a shoe problem. I had different colors of the same shoe because I liked them so much. Then I started wearing skater shoes (DC) because they’re comfortable but they are useless in the gym so I still had multiple pairs of shoes.

Now I’m down to the blue Nike’s you see in my videos, running shoes, and two pairs of basketball shoes. The Chucks will replace the Nike’s.

2 Likes

Chucks are perfect for that. Plus you can wash them in the machine and they come out nice and clean.

I run in Nikes and lift in Vans. Only shoes I ever need really. I prefer Vans to Chucks due to slip on factor really.

My running shoes are Brooks and the model is called Beast. It’s fitting. I have flat feet and over-pronate which leads to a bad chain reaction–collapsed ankle, knee, and so on. The Beast is the only shoe I’ve ever worn, EVER, that put my feet in the correct position. Unfortunately, they cost $160 so I only wear them for running to extend their life.

I used to put orthotics in all my shoes but haven’t replaced them since they were stolen. Some ass hole tried to remove a window and break into our house last summer while we slept. He gave up but took my four pairs of shoes on the back porch along with my gym bag. I lost my training log from 2015 too. I fucking hate thieves.

Guy ripped me off for about $1000 worth of stuff that he probably trashed.

people suck man. Want everything with no work. Speaking of which, the only way i’ll ever own a pair of Brooks is if they’re stolen to be honest. I couldn’t drop that much on shoes in my life. Hell, I own a '95 Toyota Corolla I paid 300 dollars for and 150 for the motor

Point being, I’m a cheap bastard and would run barefoot before I spent more than 50 dollars on shoes

Ballsy burglar breaking into a cop’s house.

I’ve lifted in chucks, vans, nikes, spizikes, squat shoes, vibrams, and my bare, hobbit feet. All worked fine, tbh. Worst shoe I ever lifted in was air force ones, though.

For training stimulus I don’t think it matters. If you want to move as much weight as possible then it does. It sucks when you try to exert force upward on a squat but instead of the bar moving up, your shoes squish and you actually go down a bit.

2 Likes

##5.31.17

Woke at 222.4 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3434 calories, 314g carbs, 143g fat, 223g protein.

One of our air conditioning units is struggling so I’ve spent the morning with the repair guy. The bid to fix it is only $650 less than the bid to replace it so we’re getting a new unit Monday.

This has thrown a wrinkle in my usual routine. My son’s nap started late and my daughter’s started early. I should be lifting in the basement right now but I just finished my breakfast and I’m a bit full. I’m also unmotivated. I was undecided about what to do for conditioning today–basketball or sprints. It looks like I’ll be late for basketball now. Last week sucked when I showed up late so I’m not going to waste my time. I get my sprints in faster than basketball anyway.

It looks like I’ll be doing my entire workout at the Y today. Haven’t done that in awhile.

3 Likes

I’m pretty tight myself but in the end it was a cheaper and better option to buy that particular pair of Brooks since they fit perfect. Buying cheap shoes and using orthotics to make my feet land correctly is also costly and usually doesn’t feel quite right. I tried running with my old orthotics and it’s not that comfortable.

The orthotics that were in a pair of the shoes that were stolen cost me $400. They haven’t been replaced.

##Training

My lack of motivation was overcome once I got to the gym. Had a great two hour session.

3 Lap Dynamic Warm-Up (1/2 mile) 6:51

Bench (Done with Layers, on to Wave Loading)
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 3
255 x 3
255 x 2
255 x 1
Ok, so I screwed up and started way too heavy. I decided to stick with same weight for all sets on the first wave.
255 x 3
260 x 2
265 x 1
275 x 1
This felt like a horrible workout compared to lifting at home. Not sure what to make of it.

Smith Machine Bench (Safety’s set at 5 holes from the bottom which put my elbows at about 90 degrees. I basically did top half reps with a slow eccentric and released tension in the bottom position so I was always pressing from a dead stop)
2 x 5 @ 270
2 x 3 @ 290

Smith Machine Bench (Safety’s up to #6 position)
310 x 5
340 x 3
360 x 3

Isometric Bench Press:
2 x 6 seconds

Front Squat: (Between sets of Smith Bench)
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 1
215 x 1 ™
235 x 1

Split Squat:
3 x 5 ea @ 135

Lateral DB Raise:
3 x 10 w/ 3 sec eccentric @ 20’s

Decline DB Crunch (Between sets of Lat DB Raises, bench at lowest decline possible)
2 x 10 @ 80

Conditioning
40m Sprint followed by 20m Farmer’s Carry with 120 lb DB’s x 6, then 4x40 m sprints w/ no carries. 12:20
(It looks like I still have a ways to go before I can start doing direct ab work according to Dr. John Rusin)

And back to lifting…

Hip Abduction/Adduction Machine:
2 x 15 @ 110

Reverse Press-Down:
One drop set: 150 x 18, 110 x 10, 70 x 15

I felt like I was running out of time. I forgot to look at the clock when I arrived and I have a two hour time limit in the Kid Zone. They’ve threatened that it’s $1 per minute when you’re late. It’s only $18/month for as many days as you need it! The two hour time limit has something to do with the fact that it’s not a daycare.

Anyway, I feel accomplished…and tired. I managed to sweat through all of my clothes so you know that’s a good session.

5 Likes

Woah $18 a month for the kid zone. That’s a godsend

##6.1.17

Woke at 222.8 lbs which was a bit higher than I anticipated. But I accidentally ate too much cottage cheese and ended up a bit over my daily goal of calories… I also had trouble getting my wedding ring off this morning which tells me my body is full of salt and that also bumps my weight up.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3604 calories, 308g carbs, 126g fat, 273g protein.

##5AM Training

Snatch Grip Deadlift:
135x5
170x5
205x5
235x3
270x3
305x1
335x1 ™
370x1

Didn’t feel great but didn’t feel bad today. 370 was a struggle and since I hit a PR on deadlifts on Monday and I’ve sprinted twice this week I decided to stop there.

Snatch Grip High Pulls:
2x5 @ 185
2x5 @ 205

Speed was good on these. I fear that I’ve been pushing my weights up on my “power” movements and it’s resulted in decreased speed. I’ll be spending more time at lower weights to make sure I’m moving fast.

And that’s it for the morning. I forgot to do my RDL’s as I warmed up on deadlifts. My hamstrings are also sore from the increased sprinting so I decided it wasn’t necessary to do any more hamstring work for the week.

2 Likes

As I sit here in my patrol car at work I realize that my right shoulder is angry (painful). It appears that yesterday’s heavy pressing work was not received well. I also think I subluxed it slightly twice last week during basketball. It hasn’t happened in ages but it used to be a regular occurrence. When I go up in the post and a little guard swats down at the ball as hard as he can it seems to force my arm to internally rotate and that’s when it slips.

I had surgery in 2010 to tighten my shoulder up and it seemed to work great… until recently. I’ve noticed more pain and the cause: sleeping! What the heck? I think I’ve slowly but surely stretched it out again by lying on it in my sleep. It’s not uncommon to wake up with my arm pinned underneath my body and completely numb/asleep.

On the plus side I don’t have any pain while doing my workouts. This is the reason I always throw in the towel during my pursuit of a three plate bench. Not this time…at least not yet. As long as there’s no pain while lifting I’ll continue to press on (pun intended).

3 Likes

I have a deep love for cottage cheese.

1 Like