Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

It’s hard to give you an idea of my typical week because it’s been changing a lot lately. In the past couple months I’ve done 5/3/1, played with CT’s wave loading, and then tried having a strength day and hypertrophy day during the week. I’ll try to lay out what I’d typically write up for a training week:

Monday
Deadlift: the rep schemes vary. 5/3/1 programming, wave loading sets of 3/2/1 or 5/4/3/2/1, or I might just work up to something heavy and get in some volume by doing EMOM for 10-20 minutes.

Snatch Grip Deadlifts or High Pulls: 15-20 reps with moderate weight

Pull-Ups: Always a staple. I do 2 sets of 10 and the last set is a double rest pause set.

Romanian Deadlift: various loading schemes but usually 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps

Rows: lately it’s been 2x10 + 1 double rest/pause set or wave loading of 7/5/3x2 or 5/4/3x2.

Reverse Fly: usually 3 sets of 10, sometimes I’ll do 10 bottom half, 10 top half, 10 full reps like the old 21’s setup for curls. I also do a variation that emphasizes my delts.

Biceps: 2x10 + 1 double rest/pause or drop sets

Tuesday/Wednesday
Squat or Front Squat: the rep schemes vary. 5/3/1 programming, wave loading sets of 3/2/1 or 5/4/3/2/1, or I might just work up to something heavy and get in some volume by doing EMOM for 10-20 minutes.

Bench: the rep schemes vary. Running Layers for now but in the past it’s been 5/3/1 programming, wave loading sets of 3/2/1 or 5/4/3/2/1, or I might just work up to something heavy and get in some volume by doing EMOM for 10-20 minutes.

Walking lunges or reverse lunges: 3-4 sets of 4-8 reps each leg

Delt training but not pressing–lateral DB Raise variations, upright rows, etc: usually 3x10

Triceps: same as biceps

Thursday
Power Clean: working on rebuilding my form so for now I’m working up to a heavy single. Once my form breaks I call it a day and drop the weight and get in some volume such as 5x2.

Clean Pulls: around 15 reps. I used to just add 50lbs to the bar after power cleans but I might start using 80% of the weight I used for deadlifts on Monday.

Pull-Ups as always

RDL’s: same reps as Monday but less weight, ideally 80% but sometimes I’m lazy and just use 185 or 225 lbs instead of doing the math.

Row variation: same approach as Monday

Reverse Fly variation or Face Pulls: same as Monday

Biceps (optional): same as before

Saturday
Bench or Incline (regular or DB): 5/4/3 wave loading for now

Squat or Front Squat (opposite of Wednesday): the rep schemes vary. 5/3/1 programming, wave loading sets of 3/2/1 or 5/4/3/2/1, or I might just work up to something heavy and get in some volume by doing EMOM for 10-20 minutes.

Standing DB Military: 5/4/3 wave loading

Walking or Reverse Lunges: 3-4 sets of 4-8 reps each

Triceps (optional): same as before

That’s a plan on paper, but if you look at my log you’ll see I don’t always stay on track. I’m off work when I do my first two workouts so I have as much time as I need. I work on the days that I do the second two workouts so it gets a bit tougher. Lately I’ve done my big pulls (cleans or deadlifts) at home after work and done a bodybuilding routine at my work gym during my 30 minute lunch break. Time is short so it’s easier to set up a giant superset and get the volume in for my back.

On Saturdays I’ve been forced to combo set my bench and squat sets which sucks. I’m still searching for the perfect approach but I seem to get in most of my work on Monday and Wednesday and Thursday/Saturday turn into lighter supplemental days.

I also do conditioning and abs as time allows on any given day.

Scroll up and you’ll get an idea of that stuff. For now I’m running Layers for bench so everything else has been getting more variety because I don’t have a structured approach.

2 Likes