T Nation

JM Press?

I have only recently tried this exercise and i really felt that it destroyed my triceps, in a good way, of course. i was curious if anyone has used this exercise long term and if it was found to be an effective triceps builder.

Can anybody help me with a description of how to do this exercise? I know Dave Tate likes it as a supplemental lift, and the exercise index on elitefts.com doesnt give a very good desciption. Can somebody please help me out with this?

yeah, i just recently found out what they are also. from my understanding, please correct if i am wrong, you start in a traditional bench press position. then, lower the bar to the top of the upper pic, think of bringing your forearms to your biceps to isolate the triceps.

in that regard, its not a tricep extension. then lift the weight up by pressing and utilizing triceps in the same manner your brought it down. hope that helps.

[quote]windmill85 wrote:
yeah, i just recently found out what they are also. from my understanding, please correct if i am wrong, you start in a traditional bench press position. then, lower the bar to the top of the upper pic, think of bringing your forearms to your biceps to isolate the triceps.

in that regard, its not a tricep extension. then lift the weight up by pressing and utilizing triceps in the same manner your brought it down. hope that helps.[/quote]

Sounds like California Press.

So you basically do a neck press while emphasizing tricep extension?

[quote]tajam wrote:
So you basically do a neck press while emphasizing tricep extension? [/quote]

Here are links I found to the JM Press. Also the California Press which is different.

abcbodybuilding.com/exercise3/jmpress.htm

abcbodybuilding.com/exercise3/californiapress.htm

I don’t know how to post the links and just have you click on them. I’m not that adept at the PC stuff.

theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/
anims/jmpress.htm

Hope this helps. There OK but I would rather go all the way to the chest … just… cant… go …partial… (gasping for air).

It is effective, and I like to do them off of the floor with a mini band around the back.

JMs however can bring on the tendonitis very quickly because there is a pretty full tricep stretch at the bottom. I am goof for 2-3 workouts with JMs before I have to give my albows a break.

I love these. I do them about every other week. They are great for the triceps. Your grip is the same as a close grip on the bench. When lowering the weight your elbows should be close to your side then make the same movement as a skull crusher but you are lowering the weight to your chest. If you go to www.elitefts.com, there should be an example.