JLD2k3's 5-3-1

[quote]Soda Popinski wrote:
Jeez bro those are some pretty good numbers for a “crappy” day :). Damn man 245x9 on bench WOW!![/quote]

Thanks! I have a goal to beat everyone at the NFL combine who weighs under 200 lbs in bench reps at 225. This year the best was 24 by the CB from Boise State (194 BW). Long way to go, but I think 5-3-1 is a great program to use to train for it. I’m rep testing on my deload week, so next Thursday we’ll see how it goes.

[quote]JLD2k3 wrote:

[quote]Soda Popinski wrote:
Jeez bro those are some pretty good numbers for a “crappy” day :). Damn man 245x9 on bench WOW!![/quote]

Thanks! I have a goal to beat everyone at the NFL combine who weighs under 200 lbs in bench reps at 225. This year the best was 24 by the CB from Boise State (194 BW). Long way to go, but I think 5-3-1 is a great program to use to train for it. I’m rep testing on my deload week, so next Thursday we’ll see how it goes.

[/quote]

Keep working hard bro and you’ll definitely get there.

Another sh!tty day in the gym. I’m sick. I think it’s time to go to the doctor.

OHP
5x135
3x155
6x175

Lat activation pulldowns / seated cable row 3 x a lot

Dips 12, 12, 13, 13

Reverse Grip T-Bar Triceps pulldown
10x35
12x40
15x45

3 farmer carries to failure

I’m going to do my wife’s kickboxing class with her tonight, then I’m going to bed early and resting tomorrow. I need to kick this illness or I’m in for a really rough Thursday. The hardest week of 5-3-1 is not the time to be sick. It’s just plain pissing me off.

Hope you feel better bro. All in all still looks like your workouts are pretty good despite being sick. 175 press is not easy…

thanks. I’m sitting in the doctor’s office waiting for him. I might go play basketball after this, but at this rate the lunch crew will likely be gone by the time the Dr. shows up.

5/27/2010

BW 193

Still sick

Bench
5x210
3x230
6x260 - not happy with that

Shrug
10x135
10x225
10x225

PC
5x135
5x165
5x185

Inv. Row
20, 15, 18

20 minutes in cable station doing seated rows, lat activation pulldowns, pullups, heavy pulldowns, triceps push downs, etc.

Sorry to hear about your bench. Do you think it’s from you not feeling well or the program?

I’m not sure. My pattern for the first three weeks shows a decline, but if I hit the same reps at five more lbs on the next cycle, then I will have increased my strength and the overall process performance will show an increase. I don’t think I can give a fair evaluation of the program yet because I don’t have enough information to create a proper process behavior chart.

5/28/2010

5-3-1 Week 3, Cycle 1

Squat
5x280
3x320
2x360

Rack Pull
5x135
10x225
5x315
5x405
1x495

(45 sec Bridge / 15 Rev Crunch) x 3

I am feeling better. Next week is deload.

My buddy got a prowler, so Sunday we’re going to christen it and have a meat feast afterward.

Wendler on EFS today:

“Sometimes I think people get a little too nuts on the last set and I think many people would be best served if they did the last set for the set repsâ?¦or just a few over and call it a day. This is not a license to be a pussy; just understand that we are training for something bigger than today.”

Further support that I need to look beyond this week and train for the long term with some patience.

[quote]JLD2k3 wrote:
Wendler on EFS today:

“Sometimes I think people get a little too nuts on the last set and I think many people would be best served if they did the last set for the set repsâ?¦or just a few over and call it a day. This is not a license to be a pussy; just understand that we are training for something bigger than today.”

Further support that I need to look beyond this week and train for the long term with some patience. [/quote]

That’s interesting stuff and probably something I should adhere to. BTW, nice rack pulls.

Deload week

Monday - Prowler pushes

6x40 yards w/ 90lbs+sled

Prowler Flu

Tuesday 6/1/2010 BW 195

5-3-1 Deload 3x5x115 OHP
45 min Men’s Health circuit 60 sec max reps, 15 sec rest.

I’m happy with the conditioning I’m getting from the Prowler and the MH workout. I’m going to really watch the diet this week and get my weight down.

good stuff man

Deload Bench Day

Bench
10x45
10x95 close grip
10x135 close grip
5x165
12x225 close grip

Standing bicep curls
10x60’s

Standing EZ bar curls
2x8x95

Flat bench dumbell press
10x70’s

Tricep rope pushdowns
8x140
8x160
8x180
4x190

Bunch of pullups

4 minutes Tabata on treadmill turned off. I recommend this.

Body weight back down to 192 from 196.

My bw is also down on this program; from 196 to 193.

Tabata will kick your ass man, nice job!

Haha, yes it will. I was shaking for an hour after that Tabata.

Today I did my last deload workout before cycle 2 starts. I didn’t set my alarm, so I was in a bit of a hurry. But it’s deload week, so who cares, right???

Deload squats
10xbar
5x135 x2
5x225

Then that Men’s Health fat burning circuit again. It’s pretty good. Here’s a link to it. I recommend it, even if it is from Men’s Health…

http://health.msn.com/fitness/mens-fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100252647

[quote]JLD2k3 wrote:
Haha, yes it will. I was shaking for an hour after that Tabata.

Today I did my last deload workout before cycle 2 starts. I didn’t set my alarm, so I was in a bit of a hurry. But it’s deload week, so who cares, right???

Deload squats
10xbar
5x135 x2
5x225

Then that Men’s Health fat burning circuit again. It’s pretty good. Here’s a link to it. I recommend it, even if it is from Men’s Health…

http://health.msn.com/fitness/mens-fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100252647

[/quote]

I’ll definitely be trying that.

Cycle 2 - Week 1
Combined OHP and DL day

I’m missing my workout tomorrow morning to drive for my grandfather’s funeral. On Thursday Grandma and the children decided to take Grandpa off of life support. Grandpa did well for himself. He married his high school sweetheart and stayed with her the rest of his life, retired after a long career as a carpenter/builder with just a high school education. He lived his whole life in Richmond, VA. His oldest son, my dad, is a BS/MS EE from UVA and had a decorated career at IBM and Lockheed Martin. Another son is an
upper level manager at Dominion Virginia Power. His daughter is a PhD and runs a department within the Va Dept of Health.

My favorite memories of Grandpa are from my early childhood when he would take me to play putt putt. He always made a big deal every time I got the ball in the hole, even if it was after 11 shots. I still have the football he kept at his house for me when we would come to visit. It never held any air and it was only good for an hour or so, but I knew where the needle was (in the ceramic chicken on the buffet)
and Grandpa was always happy to take me up the street to the gas station to pump it up.

The most important thing I’ll remember about Grandpa was that for 18 years, without fail, he and Grandma made the drive from Richmond to Manassas every year for my birthday in January. Some years it was dangerous because of the snow, and it got really dangerous in the snow when they got older, but Grandma and Grandpa would never miss my birthday, not for anything.

I’ll miss him. I wish there was more time, but I’ll see him again some day.

Back to the workout:

DL
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x245
5x285
5x315
10x355

OHP
10xBar
10x95
7x105
5x120
5x135
10x160

Bulgarian SS
5x135
5x185
5x195

50 Dips: 15, 15, 10, 10

Hang Leg: 10, 8, 4 (ugh, too tired, ran out of gas)

No scale, so not sure about BW.

I’m really sorry to hear about your Grandfather. In 2004 I lost mine on Christmas Eve :(. I wish you and your family the best.

That’s some sic workout you had. My lower back would be throbbing if I went for 10 reps of 355.

Thanks. The funeral was nice. It was more a celebration of Grandpa than a mourning.

My back started to tighten up during my softball game on Monday night. I might switch DL to Tuesday to accommodate softball, but we’ll see.