JKD Program Advice

I’ve been training w/ about this amount of volume for a while and I seem to handle it just fine.

[quote]Patrick Williams wrote:
Glad you started lifting. Much research shows that new lifters’ gains in strengthfor the first several months is neurologic, not due to muscle hypertrophy. There are exceptions to this, but I suspect that explains your strength gains without much size gain (unless I read the post incorrectly).[/quote]

I did gain size in addition to strength. I just plateaued after a few months.

I’m not naturally an ectomorph. I accidentally dieted down to 120LBS (following Men’s Health recommendations) from my natural weight of 130LBS, but I’m really more of a medium build naturally. Also, I’m not a huge fan of Waterbury’s programs.

Regarding diet, I posted it above and, as you can see. I get about 2g protein per pound of bw, I eat clean, and I get plenty of fats and carbs.

So this is what I officially decided on for strength training starting tomorrow:

Monday

1. Squat 5 x 5
    2A) Bench 5 x 5
    2B) Row 5 x 5
    3A) Plank 3 x 30 sec.
    3B) Hanging Crunch 3 x 8
    3C) Windshield Wiper 3 x 8
    4A) Clap Pushup 3 x 8
    4B) Inverted Row 3 x 8
    4C) Pistol 3 x 8

Wednesday

1. Deadlift 5 x 5
    2A) Military Press 5 x 5
    2B) Pullup 5 x 5
    3A) Isometric Dragon Flag 3 x 20 sec.
    3B) Evil Wheel 3 x 8
    3C) Full Contact Twist 3 x 8
    4A) Dip 3 x 8
    4B) Chinup 3 x 8
    4C) Single-Leg Deadlift 3 x 8

Friday

1. Front Squat 5 x 5
    2A) Incline Bench 5 x 5
    2B) V-Grip Chinup 5 x 5
    3A) Side Plank 3 x 30 sec.
    3B) Swiss Ball Crunch 3 x 8
    3C) Decline Russian Twist 3 x 8
    4A) Single-Arm Pushup 3 x 8
    4B) Supine Grip Inverted Row 3 x 8
    4C) Bulgarian Split Squat 3 x 8

After testing out one of the previous workouts on Friday, I did decide to step down the volume of work just a tad. I didn’t feel like I was overtraining, it just took too damn long.

Also, to address a couple of things, a “hanging crunch” is when you hook your feet in the chinup bar and perform a crunch, a “windshield wiper” is when you hang horizontally from a chinup bar and move your legs like wipers, and the last circuit of every workout is bw only.

Jojo,

You’re right…I should have read the posts more closely. This plan looks intense. I hope you’ll keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Patrick. I’ll be sure to take some before pics in the next couple days and some after pics in a couple months (hopefully 10-20LBS heavier and a helluva’ lot more strong).