Jiujitsu and Feet/Mat Burn

Okay does anyone else here get horrific mat burn on the top of their toe knuckles and feet? I tried finding some foot socks like monson wore in the UFC but have not had any luck. Is there any product you can use to toughen up your skin on the topside of your foot?

Yeah I use 3 products:
-Don’t be a bitch
-Time
-Experience

Jokes asides, just keep doing it and eventually you wont get any burns, or not as severe.
My hands and feet have constant markings on them (which are purple - like yummy grape, and everyone loves grape) after years of hitting bags/people/rolling whatever and now me getting any sort of mat burn is practically impossible.

I’ve done judo, wrestling and kyokushin karate. So while my experience on the mat isn’t as constant as someone who does BJJ, it still occurs frequently enough that i might get a new spot or too, but it subsides after about a day.
You ll be fine.

If that doesn’t help, then dunno what to tell you. Tape your feet?

Good luck.

being a bitch is in my nature. Why do you think i prefer black men?

cheers for the advice, alot of guys tape their toes but didn’t seem to help me.

Try keeping the bottom of your toes on the mat. If you are on your knees, in the guard, and are not on the balls of your feet/bottom of your toes, you are risking a broken ankle if you roll backwards. Besides that, you are limiting your mobility and ability to apply pressure and weight.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
Try keeping the bottom of your toes on the mat. If you are on your knees, in the guard, and are not on the balls of your feet/bottom of your toes, you are risking a broken ankle if you roll backwards. Besides that, you are limiting your mobility and ability to apply pressure and weight. [/quote]

wow i never thought of not having my feet facing down whilst in someones guard. i wonder if i have the needed ankle flexibility to do it. brb practicing on floor.

Damn, what kind of mats are you on?

Anyway, what I’d do? Wrestling shoes. They can be restrictive when playing off your back, but you get used to it.

Not sure about the knuckles, latex gloves?..joking, joking… or am I.

hmmmmmmmmm

Legendary Blaze has the best advice.

Honestly, toes take a beating on the mat and you can’t do a heck of a lot more than strap them to keep them mildly safe. Consider a few band aids around the softer toes. I have nasty callouses on the tops of my toes and I don’t get mat burn anymore. Aim for that degree of nastiness. It’s the foot version of cauliflower ears. I the same way, I don’t get blisters from Muay Thai kicks either.

I don’t believe that simply having your toe bottoms down is a perfect solution, because when you mount someone whose given you their back (for a RNC perhaps) and you are balancing on the bottom of your toes, the opponent needs to simply collapse and drop their weight and your toes will break anyway.

But I wouldn’t be caught dead in a pair of those stupid socks. Or booties or whatever the girls are calling them these days. No way, no how.

[quote]Pigeonkak wrote:

Honestly, toes take a beating on the mat and you can’t do a heck of a lot more than strap them to keep them mildly safe. Consider a few band aids around the softer toes. I have nasty callouses on the tops of my toes and I don’t get mat burn anymore. Aim for that degree of nastiness. It’s the foot version of cauliflower ears. I the same way, I don’t get blisters from Muay Thai kicks either.

I don’t believe that simply having your toe bottoms down is a perfect solution, because when you mount someone whose given you their back (for a RNC perhaps) and you are balancing on the bottom of your toes, the opponent needs to simply collapse and drop their weight and your toes will break anyway.

But I wouldn’t be caught dead in a pair of those stupid socks. Or booties or whatever the girls are calling them these days. No way, no how. [/quote]

one guy did and our instructor/coach dunno the title lol its informal took the piss so bad he never wore them again lol.

“Working out in socks is like going to sleep in socks. It seems cool at first, but then it gets sweaty and gross.” - kid from BJJ class lol

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
“Working out in socks is like going to sleep in socks. It seems cool at first, but then it gets sweaty and gross.” - kid from BJJ class lol[/quote]

That’s a perfect quote!

[quote]BeginnerBrah wrote:

[quote]Pigeonkak wrote:

But I wouldn’t be caught dead in a pair of those stupid socks. Or booties or whatever the girls are calling them these days. No way, no how. [/quote]

one guy did and our instructor/coach dunno the title lol its informal took the piss so bad he never wore them again lol.
[/quote]

Then you have your answer. Nothing can be done about mat burn. You will have to embrace the suck.

I thought stuff like that was part of fighting. Because I suck i constantly have gi burns all over my face and chin, neck, penis whatever gets caught up. I was thinking of getting some tats that look like gi burns and scar tissue so I could look like I fight but not really have to. :slight_smile:

It sucks and I hate it too sometimes but I will not wear socks…takes “pajama fighting” to a whole new level in my mind.

my feet are permanently jacked up

put some A+D oinment or straight up vaseline on your feet
when you go to bed.

get a Pedicure.

use some antifungal strong ass soap and a scurb brush just for your feet

or tape you your toes if they are really abused