Jim Wendler's Best

Jim I’ve been using 531 for 5 years now and u absolutely love it. I’ve used many different templates and combinations of templates. I have a feeling especially since reading your most recent posts on your site and this one that you feel that the original program with bodyweight assistance and NOV is the best to way train unless competing in powerlifting or whatever. Would you say this is true by the way it’s how I’m currently training with my goals being a 6 minute mile, 25 reps chins, 100 straight pushups, 25 straight dips, plus a 500 squat and deadlift and 365 bench (I’m already close to those). Obviously this would be over a couple years to reach these

[quote]NerfHerder4life wrote:
Jim I’ve been using 531 for 5 years now and u absolutely love it. I’ve used many different templates and combinations of templates. I have a feeling especially since reading your most recent posts on your site and this one that you feel that the original program with bodyweight assistance and NOV is the best to way train unless competing in powerlifting or whatever. Would you say this is true by the way it’s how I’m currently training with my goals being a 6 minute mile, 25 reps chins, 100 straight pushups, 25 straight dips, plus a 500 squat and deadlift and 365 bench (I’m already close to those). Obviously this would be over a couple years to reach these[/quote]

There really isn’t a “best” template necessarily. Jim believes in everything that he has put out. Pick the template that you enjoy the most, and one that you can commit to 100%. For your goals, maybe it is the original program and BW assistance like you said. But if you don’t get a training boner for it, then it won’t matter if this is the best path for you. Good luck.

When I work with someone personally, I make sure to concentrate on three areas: mobility, strength and conditioning. Within these three things, we make changes depending on the person’s goals and current training level.

We have certain standards for things, one of which is relative strength. Conditioning is very well planned as this is when most people just do the “gonna do something really hard and hope for the best” - which isn’t too smart. At the end of the day, one has to do what gets you in the gym. I’m just trying to help program the important things, broken down very simple, so that everyone can understand.

As I’ve gotten to be more of a man of letters, things are easier to present, easier to program. Joey Waters, the guy who answered above, he and I have a band together. Last weekend, he was over here and I had him go through the 5/3/1 Prep Program - this is what I believe is the BOTTOM level of preparedness one must have in order to prepare themselves for success. It’s very basic and simple but as Joey will tell you, it’s not that easy. I think way too many people are way out of shape and weak at the most basic of levels. People don’t even want to JUMP for fear of hurting themselves or getting too tired. Think about that for a second - and you’ll see how far removed strength and conditioning has been removed from “strength and conditioning”. A leap on to a box. Or someone thinks doing a few sets of push-ups will make their bench go down.

All I can do is try to help those that want something more than people bitching about squat depth, pauses on the bench and won’t sacrifice all technique and common sense to beat an arbitrary time.