JIF Okay As a Peanut Butter Source?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Chris Shugart wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Skippy Natural is pretty damn good.

Maybe good tasting but not good for you. It’s a “pretend” health food. Has added oil and sugar. “Natural” oil and sugar. They’re bullshitting you.

Natural PB = peanuts, maybe salt, that’s it.

Gotta read those ingredient lists.

Because the 3g of sugar is something to even worry about?
I agree that natural is the best way, but Skippy Natural is better than Jif, not everything has to be black and white.[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t feel the 3g being a huge deal. 12 calories is splitting hairs in my book. Better options are available, but Skippy Natural is actually the cheapest PB in my area.

the only reason I use it, is because I hate how natural PB gets hard in the fridge when you get below 1/2 a jar. It just ends up tearing my bread

My natty PB is peanut, salts, organic palm oil.

the only reason I use it, is because I hate how natural PB gets hard in the fridge when you get below 1/2 a jar. It just ends up tearing my bread[/quote]

I nuke it a little sometimes to soften it up. Also, if I know I’m going to eat it, I’ll just leave the jar out on the counter for an hour or two and it’s softened up by the time I do have it.

the only reason I use it, is because I hate how natural PB gets hard in the fridge when you get below 1/2 a jar. It just ends up tearing my bread[/quote]

When you buy natty PB…MAKE SURE THERE’S NO OIL ON TOP WHEN YOU PURHASE IT!!!

If there is that means the oil has started to separate and by the time you get to the bottom of the jar the shit is going to be hard as a rock. If you buy the stuff and there’s no oil on top that means it’s evenly distributed and the issue of hard PB should not be a problem.

[quote]Digity wrote:

If there is that means the oil has started to separate and by the time you get to the bottom of the jar the shit is going to be hard as a rock. If you buy the stuff and there’s no oil on top that means it’s evenly distributed and the issue of hard PB should not be a problem.[/quote]

Well the natural PB I buy (Smuckers) always has the oil on top when I buy it. But there is a very easy solution (which is also written right on the bottle)…just mix it up well and refrigerate. And the best way I’ve found is to use beaters with the dough attachment (those funny looking round corkscrew type looking things); they work great to mix up the PB.

yeah, I’ve never seen any Natty PB (besides Skippy Natural that uses Palm oil), that doesn’t have oil at the top

[quote]allenkt wrote:
Digity wrote:

If there is that means the oil has started to separate and by the time you get to the bottom of the jar the shit is going to be hard as a rock. If you buy the stuff and there’s no oil on top that means it’s evenly distributed and the issue of hard PB should not be a problem.

Well the natural PB I buy (Smuckers) always has the oil on top when I buy it. But there is a very easy solution (which is also written right on the bottle)…just mix it up well and refrigerate. And the best way I’ve found is to use beaters with the dough attachment (those funny looking round corkscrew type looking things); they work great to mix up the PB.
[/quote]

I’ll have to give that a try. Normally, I just mix it with spoon or spatula, as I buy the 32 oz size. I still always manage to spill some of the oil during the process though and I hate losing my precious oil.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
allenkt wrote:
Digity wrote:

I’ll have to give that a try. Normally, I just mix it with spoon or spatula, as I buy the 32 oz size. I still always manage to spill some of the oil during the process though and I hate losing my precious oil.
[/quote]

Definitely give it a try. I got tired of trying to stir it with a knife or spoon because either I spilled the oil or it was too hard at the bottom to really get it stirred all the way. But the attachments fit right inside the jar and go all the way to the bottom. Perfect!

Publix brand FTW. Seriously, that shit tastes better than name brand and it’s cheaper.

I made the switch to natural peanut butter about 5 years ago (Teddy, No salt added) and haven’t looked back. If it separates, stir it up. I wouldn’t go back to regular peanut butter if you paid me, the natural stuff tastes so much better.

I haven’t bought peanut butter for a while, but I’m sure the last time I did it was just some store brand. I do remember reading the label and all it didn’t seem to have any junk ingredients. Just peanuts, salt, sugar, maybe some added oil.

It also didn’t say it had any trans fats. I guess with label rounding it might have some trans-fats, but I didn’t relly worry about it.

Personally, I don’t like natty pb, I prefer my processed deliciousness.

[quote]allenkt wrote:
Digity wrote:

[/quote]

I find that if the oil is separated when you buy it at the supermarket then even if you do mix it you’ll still end up with hard PB once you get to the bottom.

Look for a jar that doesn’t have any oil separation and chances are you’ll have a much smoothier PB. If I see oil on top I just don’t buy it. Fortunately, the brand I buy has jars that have both oil and no oil separation.

[quote]Digity wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
the only reason I use it, is because I hate how natural PB gets hard in the fridge when you get below 1/2 a jar. It just ends up tearing my bread

If there is that means the oil has started to separate and by the time you get to the bottom of the jar the shit is going to be hard as a rock. If you buy the stuff and there’s no oil on top that means it’s evenly distributed and the issue of hard PB should not be a problem.[/quote]

What the hell? This is a joke right. God forbid you STIR the oil back in.

Then don’t put it in the fridge.

Flip the peanut butter jar over.

Watch the oil disperse throughout the peanut butter.

Flip it back over after each use.

Save your forearms a workout.

I’ve always done this, and it makes it much easier to maintain that ideal mix of peanut oil and peanut butter.

Give it a try.

[quote]APLASTICSPOON wrote:
You think it’s okay if I have a glass of milk with a couple meals for the extra cals?[/quote]

If you are looking to add muscle then it is a good choice. If you are looking to get shredded then it is not.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

Then don’t put it in the fridge.[/quote]

because that would be smart :wink: and let the oil go rancid

Natural Nate wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

Then don’t put it in the fridge.

because that would be smart :wink: and let the oil go rancid[/quote]

Huh. I have eaten natural peanut butter my whole life, have NEVER put it in the fridge, and usually leave the can out in the open without a cap on it for a couple weeks.

Never ever had a problem with rancid oil. In fact this is the first time I’ve heard about it.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
Digity wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

What the hell? This is a joke right. God forbid you STIR the oil back in. [/quote]

OF COURSE YOU MIX IT!!! I don’t mean to suggest I don’t mix the stuff when there’s oil on top…what I’m saying is that EVEN IF you mix it back in it’ll still be hard when you get to the bottom. I suspect because when you remix it most of the oil is still in the top half of the jar. It’s hard to remix the stuff and have the oil equally distributed. That’s the only conclusion I can come to.

However, I notice that when there’s NO OIL SEPARATION and I buy the PB and mix it then I never have a problem when I get to the bottom of the jar.