Jicama-Green Veggie or Starch?

Is jicama a green veggie or a starchy one?

Also, are salad dressings from a bottle not a good form of fat? I have started using a bit of them - I usually get the organic ones from whole foods. The ingredients are mostly canola oil and spices and such. Is there anything to watch out for as bad in bottled salad dressings? I know olive oil would be more ideal, but I like ceasar dressing…

It’s a potato, well a tuber. Starch fo sho.

Hmmm I should get some I remember liking the taste the few times I’ve tried it. Looks like its high in fiber and vit C, Potassium. Good stuff.

Okay - I just noticed it on the list of “free” foods in a bunch of places so I thought maybe it was a green one.

Well its 11g carb with 2g of that being sugars and a whopping 6g fiber…pretty damn good. I am going to start eating them on the AD to give me some more variety.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20hz.html

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
Is jicama a green veggie or a starchy one?

Also, are salad dressings from a bottle not a good form of fat? I have started using a bit of them - I usually get the organic ones from whole foods. The ingredients are mostly canola oil and spices and such. Is there anything to watch out for as bad in bottled salad dressings? I know olive oil would be more ideal, but I like ceasar dressing…

[/quote]

Actually, Caesar dressing is made with olive oil (and lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan cheese, raw egg, and ground pepper). There’s nothing wrong with those ingredients.

I can’t find any in bottles with olive oils. I don’t really have time to make my own either. :frowning: Is it still okay?

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
I can’t find any in bottles with olive oils. I don’t really have time to make my own either. :frowning: Is it still okay?[/quote]

If it’s the lemony/salty taste you like, take 5 minutes once a week to make a lemon and oil dressing (in your food processor whiz up couple cloves of garlic, 1/3 cup lemon juice and white wine vinegar mix, salt and pepper; then drizzle in 2/3 cup olive oil until the dressing is smooth and emulsified). Use it and a handful of grated parmesan cheese in with your salad greens.

Despite the number, jicama is a starchy veggie. I was recommended only to eat it during my PWO meal.

[quote]alsrnbsn wrote:
Despite the number, jicama is a starchy veggie. I was recommended only to eat it during my PWO meal.[/quote]

Why - how can you tell?

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
alsrnbsn wrote:
Despite the number, jicama is a starchy veggie. I was recommended only to eat it during my PWO meal.

Why - how can you tell?[/quote]

At the risk of stating the obvious, it’s not green and it is a starchy root (tuber). So, I think of it as a starch not a green vegetable.

http://www.wegmans.com/kitchen/ingredients/produce/vegetables/jicama.asp