T Nation

Jibb's Garage Training Log

Obviously there are going to be people with very different physiques, as well as approaching in trying to display their strong points and conceal weaknesses to the judges as well as to audiences/photographers. When I was trying to learn how to pose, I’d look at shots of Yates (one of my favorites) and not realizing how different my build was from his, I would lean back on certain poses, thinking I’d create the look of lower hanging lats in my front poses. In hindsight, it was horrible, and I’m thankful I eventually got past that!

The judges’ table is much lower than the eye level of most of the audience, as well as the level of most photographs you typically see of bodybuilders. This may affect how some competitors hit specific poses. I know that when I would hit shots facing away from the judges, I didn’t care how weird it looked to anyone backstage, so long as the judges only saw what I wanted them to.

With all that said,… leaning back when hitting any front pose, in my opinion, isn’t going to be helpful. It may just be a mistake on the athlete’s part, as there are so many little points to remember when you’re onstage at a higher level and you need every advantage you can get. In back poses, it could make sense, as you want to get those lumbar fibers to tense up, but not so much that you misangle your torso and take away from what might have been an impressive lat spread for example.

S

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this complete answer, which reassures me of my understanding of posing.

Especially on this point :

I wanted to know your opinion on it because yesterday, seeing the photo of James on Patrick Tuor’s Instagram, I asked the same question (leaning too much while doing front double) and he answered me simply: no…

I find that it can “ruin” a physic font the front (for example Nathan DeAsha, Sergio, even Iain,…)

1 Like

Yeah John Meadows was making Josh Wade hits his back double biceps leaning back because of this (or that’s what he says in his posing video)

Its a visual sport, so it’s important to consider if you’re posing for the judges or the audience. I’ve done things that feel wrong when I’m doing them, but I know from taking photos and videos ahead of time, that the visual impact is just what I need it to be.

Every good competitor should at least try different approaches for their physique, even if they think they’re doing something correctly. I looked at a lot of competitors who I thought had builds similar to mine so I could see what they were doing, but, no one had a 100% exact physique, so even if I mimicked them well, I still always considered other adjustments just to make sure I was right. There aren’t any mirrors on stage with you -lol

S

1 Like

Yes. It’s always a concern, but it is a fine line, between “angling slightly” and trying so hard to get the Christmas tree to show that you lose the impact of the full lats.

S

1 Like

That’s what I don’t understand, because all competitors are judged by the same “place”.

Look at this collage, Brandon no longer poses as before and it’s 100x better IMO.

1 Like

Well it’s probably that it took him some time to figure out what was working out best for him? But I don’t really know much about posing other than it is really hard ahahah

2 Likes

I just took a quick look at the posing for Mr Olympia 2019 and in fact he still leans back (but a little less) and he added an other variation with a little twist to his double biceps (there he contracts his abs) wich looks very good.

I’ve changed my program, I’m back on a Fullbody that better suits my current needs. I use Paul Carter’s program: Fullbody for advanced lifters as a basis.

23/09/2020

Warmup : 3 way shoulder (bent over raise, latéral raise, front raise)
3x10/10/10@6kg

A. BENCH PRESS SMITH MACHINE (2x8-10)
15@20kg, 12@40kg, 10@50kg
10,9@60kg

B. BTN PRESS SMITH MACHINE (2x10-12)
15@0kg, 12@10kg, 10@15kg
12,12@20kg

C. PUSHDOWN (1x8-10)
20@20kg, 15@30kg, 12@40kg
10@50kg keep this weight

D. BARBELL CURL (2x10-12)
15@8kg, 12@18kg, 10@24kg
10,10@28kg

E. LEG EXTENSION (2x20)
20@10kg, 20@20kg
20,@30kg

F. ONE LEG CURL (2x20)
20,20@1

G. DB PULLOVER (3x15-20)
15,15,@16kg

1 Like

FB AL - Day 2 L-U

24/09/2020

Warmup : 3min stepper

A. FRONT SQUAT SMITH MACHINE (1-2x15-20)
15@0kg, 12@10kg, 10@20kg
15,15@30kg

B. RDL (1-2x10-12)
15@28kg, 12@48kg
10,10@58kg

C. REVERSE GRIP PULLDOWN (2x10-12)
20@2, 15@4
12,12@6

D. BARBELL ROW SMITH MACHINE (2x10-12)
15@20kg, 12@30kg
12,12@40kg

E. LOW INCLINE DB FLY (3x15-20)
15,15@6kg
16,16,16@10kg

F. CABLE LATERAL RAISE (3x15-??)
19,19,19@2,5kg (RP @12rep)

G. SEATED DB HAMMER CURL (2x20)
15,15@10kg

H. REVERSE GRIP DOUBLE HANDLE PUSHDOWN (2x20)
20,18@20kg

1 Like

Is this the template when you do one bodypart heavy, next time lighter? Looks good! This is high intensity right? Why the pullovers at the end though ahah

1 Like

Yes that’s it. It fits well my shedule currently (and my health/fatigue). I can do 2 days in a row or every other day or more rest day if I need them… and still keep a good frequency while training 3 to max 4 days a week and push a bit harder on some muscle (like an upper/lower split).

Because it’s written like that in the program (pullover or straight arm pulldown). No initiative for the moment I follow what is written.

Oh and for the high intensity part, because of my health I don’t go all out (if I go too hard I’m tired for days after…) so more like a "hard " double progression model…

1 Like