Garage Gains (Jibb's Log)

Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever been tagged on here for something like this. Thanks!

Genetics is obviously a factor, but something that consistently gives me progress:

• 9-12 working sets weekly for each
  • I do my best with an arms day; you could just tack that onto to the end of your split if you want, because it’s not fatiguing at all
  • I like biceps around 8 reps and triceps around 12, as kind of the baseline
  • Form matters: for biceps, slow that eccentric and make sure your shoulders aren’t doing everything; get a full flex on triceps without killing your elbows
  • As I’ve gotten older, I’ve had to be more careful with my elbows, so I do my harder movements last.

So, an example could be:

1. Rope Pushdown: 3 sets of 12-15
    superset with:
    DB Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8-10
  • I also like a version of these where I do the hammer curl across my body, then hold that position and turn my thumb out so my palm is facing up, then reverse the whole move.
  1. EZ Curl: 4 sets of 6-8
    superset with:
    Dip Machine: 4 sets of 10-12

2. Preacher Curl: 3 sets of 10
    superset with:
    DB Skullcrushers: 3 sets of 10

• I like doing these from the floor - it keeps me honest about how much my upper arm is flailing around.
  1. 21s with a cable (optional)

2. Push-up death (optional) - start your hands as close as you can and do push-ups to failure; spread them wider when you fail and go again. 3 adjustments on the floor, then hands on a bench and do the same sequence.

2 Likes