Jesse Ventura wins 1.8 Million in Defammation suit

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I have a ton more respect for CK than I do JV but that doesn’t give him the right to defame someone.

[/quote]

Agreed, but think outside the box for a second, something JV can’t seem to do.

Who cares the most about defamation? A public figure. Why? It costs them money. Why? Because it makes them look bad and people don’t pay people that look bad in the public eye.

We agree so far? I assume we do because you are a smart and sexy motherfucker.

What do public figures need? Publicity. Is there bad publicity? No (yes there is, but this is a fist fight not child molestation.)

CK loses some respect for writing about a bar fight in the first place, and name dropping in it. However I don’t know the context of the story, so I reserve judgment.

What I will judge is JV’s reaction. He had two choices:

1. Sue (No one knew dude would die, so that is just hard luck for JV) and win. Okay great. You get your legal fees paid, your day in court and get to jump around like mighty mouse that you won. However this is a very low profile way fo going about it. I keep up with current events and totally missed this, so I imagine the average American glued to Teen Mom and Keep Up With Jay-Z certainly had no idea until they “heard JV sued a dead hero.”

2. Run with it, talk about it, and use it. Generally laugh it off, but constantly bring it up. Basically be a national level politician about it, and try CK in the court of public opinion. The more the book sells, the more you talk about it, the more your name gets brought up. After a couple journalists confront CK, you start inviting the witnesses to talk, etc etc etc.

I just feel like a lawsuit was the wrong choice from the get go. ANd particularly once dude died. Once CK died JV suddenly turned into a huge douche in the court of public opinion whether its true or not. We both know normal people don’t think rational like your post. As a public figure you care what “normal people” think. [/quote]

100% agree with everything you wrote. But that doesn’t mean JV is necessarily in the wrong for bringing about this lawsuit. I’m just seeing a lot of shit being thrown at JV simply because of CK’s background WITHOUT REGARD to the actual circumstances of the situation. That’s not right, either.
[/quote]

Do you all have enough faith in judicial system to believe that every ruling is the truth?

Ventura is a loudmouth kook.

Can anyone speak to certain people who were witness the event being dismissed as witnesses for being too drunk?

Didn’t a bunch of seals come out and say CK was full of shit and was just trying to drum up publicity by making up the story?

Also all seals, even CK said JV was a seal and the distinction was nonsense (He said this on opie and anthony)

While I think CK has some questionable positions and values, I was saddened to hear of his death as I am anyone else, I enjoyed his book, but the fact is the dude faced alot of criticism over this, especially from seals, I think people also hate that clown JV so much it blinds them to the facts, which really are in favour of him and the findings that were had.

[quote]ScholesGoals wrote:
Didn’t a bunch of seals come out and say CK was full of shit and was just trying to drum up publicity by making up the story?

Also all seals, even CK said JV was a seal and the distinction was nonsense (He said this on opie and anthony)

While I think CK has some questionable positions and values, I was saddened to hear of his death as I am anyone else, I enjoyed his book, but the fact is the dude faced alot of criticism over this, especially from seals, I think people also hate that clown JV so much it blinds them to the facts, which really are in favour of him and the findings that were had.[/quote]

Good post.

Not sure. This is an interesting read.

Wow! In this thread people are actually thinking through instead of the reactionary shitstorm on FB.

I think JV is had a right to pursue the lawsuit. He filed the suit before the guy died. It’s unfortunate that CK passed, and the headline now reads “JV sues SEAL Widow,” but the guy told a story in his book that all the evidence points to as a lie.

…and SEALs are supposed to work closely with the CIA, and intelligence, Top Secret clearance and all, if anyone should be able to keep a name to himself it should have been an operator. I worked with Nam era SEAL who saw combat. He’d barely give his own name. If someone preasured CK about his next mission would he have blabbed that too?

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

Do you all have enough faith in judicial system to believe that every ruling is the truth?

[/quote]

No, the system isn’t going to be right every time, you’re correct.

It all goes back to there should be more class than to have bar fight scenes in your book, and suing someone for saying they punched you isn’t the best tactic for making money.

[/quote]

Nonsense is a bit of a stretch. He was UDT. Which means he did the same BUD/s as SEAL and just went to a different place to do slightly different things afterwards than SEALs. Some SEALs are okay with UDT being called SEALs some aren’t. Bottom line they are in the same database, therefore the NAVY doesn’t see them as all the different.

This guy’s channel is so strangely addicting it isn’t even funny.

[/quote]

It all goes back to there should be more class than to have bar fight scenes in your book, and suing someone for saying they punched you isn’t the best tactic for making money. [/quote]

I haven’t followed this very closely but I think there is more to it than just someone saying they punched you. The interview with CK on Opie and Anthony would definitely be bad publicity if it were untrue and I’d sue for that as well.

Edit: Just watched Jesse’s interview. He states that what he was alleged to have said by Chris was more the issue than the claim of being punched. As Jesse said, he is hated by the SEAL community now because of what Chris alleged Jesse said.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[/quote]

It all goes back to there should be more class than to have bar fight scenes in your book, and suing someone for saying they punched you isn’t the best tactic for making money. [/quote]

I haven’t followed this very closely but I think that it has more to do with just someone saying they punched you. The interview with CK on Opie and Anthony would definitely be bad publicity if it were untrue and I’d sue for that as well.
[/quote]

Look, I feel like my point is being missed here. Let me try and clarify.

The interview reinforces my lack of respect for that particular park of CK. Even if it is true, people that speak, like that, about bar fights… Let’s just say aren’t high on my list of people I’ll look up to. This doesn’t diminish his service or the respect I have for that, but he as a man comes off juvenile here. He never should have name dropped, and if he did kept the details lower. (Mystery sells more books).

That being said, paying attention to JV, I can totally see him saying that to be honest.

The lawsuit, IMO, was justified, and I don’t blame JV for doing it, because like I said he isn’t creative and has a shit publicist. I don’t have a problem with the suit because I don’t think it was justified, I have a problem with the suit because I think it is the absolute wrong play here.

My reaction would not be to call a lawyer.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[/quote]

I haven’t followed this very closely but I think that it has more to do with just someone saying they punched you. The interview with CK on Opie and Anthony would definitely be bad publicity if it were untrue and I’d sue for that as well.
[/quote]

Look, I feel like my point is being missed here. Let me try and clarify.

The interview reinforces my lack of respect for that particular park of CK. Even if it is true, people that speak, like that, about bar fights… Let’s just say aren’t high on my list of people I’ll look up to. This doesn’t diminish his service or the respect I have for that, but he as a man comes off juvenile here. He never should have name dropped, and if he did kept the details lower. (Mystery sells more books).

That being said, paying attention to JV, I can totally see him saying that to be honest.

The lawsuit, IMO, was justified, and I don’t blame JV for doing it, because like I said he isn’t creative and has a shit publicist. I don’t have a problem with the suit because I don’t think it was justified, I have a problem with the suit because I think it is the absolute wrong play here.

My reaction would not be to call a lawyer. [/quote]

I understand what you’re saying but my point is that what was said is seriously defamatory for anyone who has any future political aspirations. Jesse could laugh it off all he wanted and claim it was untrue but it’s his word against that of Chris Kyle’s, who is regarded as a hero.

I guess I don’t see a way for Jesse to have regained his reputation without litigation. He states that he tried to get Chris (and later Chris’ widow) to acknowledge that the event was fabricated and then he would drop the suit, but they would not relent and so he moved forward.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:
I understand what you’re saying but my point is that what was said is seriously defamatory for anyone who has any future political aspirations. [/quote]

Turn, but if JV thinks doing those FEMA videos and going straight Alex Jones didn’t ruin his political career 1000x times more than this story, is out of his mind.

Plus saying CK lied isn’t the end of a political career. Ted Kennedy killed his (or his brother’s) ex girlfriend and never spent a day not a Senator.

IDK, maybe you’re right.

Turn, but if JV thinks doing those FEMA videos and going straight Alex Jones didn’t ruin his political career 1000x times more than this story, is out of his mind.

[/quote]

So they’ve got to you too huh? Don’t you know that Jesse is our only hope against the reptilian overlords who live in hives under the Federal Reserve?

I wonder how many navy seals we have in this thread.

There are a lot of people with a lot of conviction over things they don’t know.

Some things to keep in mind about Jesse Ventura… He was a guest speaker at a graduation, he’s respected and invited to ceremonies to speak. He frequents the same spots as other dudes, he is part of their culture PERIOD. You can’t take away his service. Shit, I remember when I was in how stoked I was to get to see Jesse’s old video’s that were used to train spec ops guys.

Jesse Ventura makes a career off of his name and reputation. How exactly is he supposed to carry on when someone defames him? None of this is any of our business anyhow. Maybe there should be a better code about keeping quiet about service in groups like the Seals.

[quote]geordieboy wrote:
I wonder how many navy seals we have in this thread.[/quote]
Why?

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]geordieboy wrote:
I wonder how many navy seals we have in this thread.[/quote]
Why?[/quote]

Whatever the reason, I imagine the number is relatively high compared to your average internet message board.

There aren’t a whole lot of living SEALs walking around comparable to other Vet designations, which would put the percentage of the population on an internet message board pretty low. However this being a weight lifting site, that is supposed to have a “hardcore no bullshit” theme, I would imagine the numbers here would be a bit higher than say… The comments on Huffington Post.

[quote]Severiano wrote:

Some things to keep in mind about Jesse Ventura… He was a guest speaker at a graduation, he’s respected and invited to ceremonies to speak. He frequents the same spots as other dudes, he is part of their culture PERIOD. You can’t take away his service. Shit, I remember when I was in how stoked I was to get to see Jesse’s old video’s that were used to train spec ops guys.

Jesse Ventura makes a career off of his name and reputation. How exactly is he supposed to carry on when someone defames him? None of this is any of our business anyhow. Maybe there should be a better code about keeping quiet about service in groups like the Seals. [/quote]

I agree about the code of silence, which I guess I always assumed was in place anyway. I understand the litigation against CK to try to right himself, however, when CK died, his best course of PR action would have been to say, “Although I still stand behind my previous statements , recent events have brought me to the realization that some things are more important than a bar fight who said what. Although we disagreed, the passing of a fellow Navy vet is beyond tragic and I would like to offer my prayers and support to his family and drop my lawsuit at this time.” Boom, he comes out the best he can.

I hve family in the forces and they generally have very negative views of people who write books, unless they are infantry or anything other than special forces.

Andy Mcnab is pretty hated in the U.K as of my experience. Not that my experience is nescissarily the overall situation.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Severiano wrote:

Jesse Ventura makes a career off of his name and reputation. How exactly is he supposed to carry on when someone defames him? None of this is any of our business anyhow. Maybe there should be a better code about keeping quiet about service in groups like the Seals. [/quote]

I agree about the code of silence, which I guess I always assumed was in place anyway. I understand the litigation against CK to try to right himself, however, when CK died, his best course of PR action would have been to say, “Although I still stand behind my previous statements , recent events have brought me to the realization that some things are more important than a bar fight who said what. Although we disagreed, the passing of a fellow Navy vet is beyond tragic and I would like to offer my prayers and support to his family and drop my lawsuit at this time.” Boom, he comes out the best he can. [/quote]

Wouldn’t that of left JV open to counter suits?

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Severiano wrote:

I agree about the code of silence, which I guess I always assumed was in place anyway. I understand the litigation against CK to try to right himself, however, when CK died, his best course of PR action would have been to say, “Although I still stand behind my previous statements , recent events have brought me to the realization that some things are more important than a bar fight who said what. Although we disagreed, the passing of a fellow Navy vet is beyond tragic and I would like to offer my prayers and support to his family and drop my lawsuit at this time.” Boom, he comes out the best he can. [/quote]

Wouldn’t that of left JV open to counter suits?
[/quote]

Not a lawyer, but I don’t really see how it would. Explain your thinking and I will try to see if I am wrong there somewhere.