Jerky

with all the threads i’ve read i do not see beef/turkey jerky mentioned as a snack. why is that ?
thanks for all the help–seems like more i read the more confused i get :o(

I like it for a snack, especially when I’m trying to lose weight. The only real drawbacks are price and sodium content. Otherwise it’s great.

The Food Network had pretty neat show on how to make your own jerky. I forget the host’s name, but it was with the nerdy guy who explains all the chemistry behind food preparation and cooking. Anyway, it looked fairly easy and is a much cheaper alternative to buying it.

it’s not that much sodium. it’s really not that expensive if you snag it up from costco.

I know someone is going to tell me how there’s so much sodium, but if you don’t eat that much of it throughout the rest of the day and eat sensibly, it’s a non-issue. man up.

In a sample T-Dawg Diet 2.0, beef jerky is mentioned as a snack, as well as a handful of mixed nuts. It doesn’t say how much jerky is acceptable.

[quote]edgecrusher wrote:
The Food Network had pretty neat show on how to make your own jerky. I forget the host’s name, but it was with the nerdy guy who explains all the chemistry behind food preparation and cooking. Anyway, it looked fairly easy and is a much cheaper alternative to buying it.[/quote]

Alton Brown is the guy’s name.

The wife picked up a dehydrator for about $40a few years ago and makes really killer jerky. Pick meats that have a lower fat content, bottom round or brisket. She soaks it with low sodium Soy or teryaki sauce for a about an hour before drying it. Makes for a great protien snack.

Given that part and parcel of the T-diets are high protein and low carb, jerky makes perfect sense as long as it doesn’t have a lot of additives. Go for it, man.

If you don’t want to make your own (there are several threads on T-Nation with recipes and ideas if you search), I’ve ordered from these guys:

I’ve been very happy with their products, and there are several other similar vendors mentioned in the other threads.

SDSpeed