Jerk Stole the Fork from my Bike

So I walked outside this morning only to find that someone had stolen the fork and handlebar assembly from my bike. I’ve got a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth reporting to the police? I’ve had success in the past getting stolen bikes back, but this was in a small town and it was an entire bike that was missing.

2. Is this a common occurance? I always thought I was being very careful by locking it up through the front wheel and the frame and everything.

3. What’s my best bet for getting a replacement part? Are there online shops you guys use? I can always go to a local shop, but I’d like to do this as inexpensively as possible, and I figure the bike guys on here can give me some tips.

The bike was a fairly new Fuji Roubaix. It’s my own fault for leaving it outside the past few nights, but I wish I could’ve caught the thief in the act. Oh well, live and learn. Any other bike theft stories?

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
So I walked outside this morning only to find that someone had stolen the fork and handlebar assembly from my bike. I’ve got a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth reporting to the police? I’ve had success in the past getting stolen bikes back, but this was in a small town and it was an entire bike that was missing.

2. Is this a common occurance? I always thought I was being very careful by locking it up through the front wheel and the frame and everything.

3. What’s my best bet for getting a replacement part? Are there online shops you guys use? I can always go to a local shop, but I’d like to do this as inexpensively as possible, and I figure the bike guys on here can give me some tips.

The bike was a fairly new Fuji Roubaix. It’s my own fault for leaving it outside the past few nights, but I wish I could’ve caught the thief in the act. Oh well, live and learn. Any other bike theft stories?[/quote]

I have had three bikes stolen in my life. The last one was in college. I still don’t know why they stole it or even what the hell they did with it. How much can you get for a stolen bike that cost under 120 bucks missing the front wheel anyway?

Also, no, it is not worth reporting. In fact, the only real reason to inform the police of most theft occurrences is for insurance.

Sucks dude. I’m sure you can get another fork at a bike shop. Or, check ebay, and if you find one with the shipping address that matches your neighborhood, you can ask them nicely to please return your goddamn fork.

Oh, and if the fork was made of solid gold, I’d just forget about it. Mr. T has it around his neck by now, and we all know you can’t get Mr. T to give that up. All he’ll do is pity you till your existence is erased.

Don’t bother reporting it.

You can find another here, so long as you know what you need. If not hit the bike shop.

[quote]spc.stewart30 wrote:
Oh, and if the fork was made of solid gold, I’d just forget about it. Mr. T has it around his neck by now, and we all know you can’t get Mr. T to give that up. All he’ll do is pity you till your existence is erased.[/quote]

Heh heh…

Steal the fork from another bike. My bike got stolen once. Stole another one, until one day I stole my original bike back… There’s 17 million people in this country, and like 20 million bicycles…

Could be worse…

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Could be worse…[/quote]

Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. I’m going to have to hit the water this weekend to ease my sorrows.