Jeremy Hoornstra 661 Raw Bench

that close grip makes it like twice the awesome

This is nuts.

That looked wayyyyy easy

Holy shit. His index finger is on the smooth too. All of these big benchers lately have the same style. Very little arch, no crazy leg positions,etc. Just staying nice and tight and exploding up. This must take INSANE triceps strength. He could probably do skullcrushers with my max bench lol.

2 Things.

1.) I wonder how many pushups he can do with a bus of children on his back

2.) Kind of scary how his chest goes in when the bar is at pause

Kneel before CG. I guess they weren’t doing start commands.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Kneel before CG. I guess they weren’t doing start commands.[/quote]
Majority of feds dont

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
Holy shit. His index finger is on the smooth too. All of these big benchers lately have the same style. Very little arch, no crazy leg positions,etc. Just staying nice and tight and exploding up. This must take INSANE triceps strength. He could probably do skullcrushers with my max bench lol.[/quote]

I’ve noticed this too… I asked that huge bencher who used to post here the same thing but I never managed to catch him here any more

I wonder if they small arch is due to unflexibiliy or it’s just their style… Short arch, tight setup, flat feet, major upper body raw strength

Yeah my only meet was in the APA - they don’t have start commands. That was a legit lift.

What is even more impressive that he did that weighing only 241 lbs. According to PLwatch - he is the lightest man…EVER…to bench 660 lbs. It is mind-boggling. This comes out to 2.7x bodyweight!!!

ALso, I think Cephalic had posted before about him - this guy trains more like a bodybuilder than a powerlifter - chest day, back day, etc…with tons of volume. I’d love it if C_C can chime in and give more insight.

Hoornstra is a Monsta!!!

Ridiculous that he did that with the grip he did, and just crazy impressive in general.

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
2 Things.

1.) I wonder how many pushups he can do with a bus of children on his back

2.) Kind of scary how his chest goes in when the bar is at pause[/quote]

If you watch KK bench, he does something similar. I think it’s strategic. It’s a good way to never actually stop the movement of the bar while still pausing on the chest, which may help with the stretch reflex.

Obviously, great lift. Seems like there are a lot of big benchers emerging to someday challenge 715.

ive been waiting for j hoorn to appear again. i remember a few years ago i think he was boasting a near 700 bench touch and go.

Jeremy has been at the last couple APA meets down in this area. Last November he struggled with 617 with a questionable lockout. An incredible gain in 5 months! His third attempt, I think 639, flew.

And people always say this, but, super nice guy as well.

589 and 622lb attempts also on powerliftingwatch

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/22300

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:

ALso, I think Cephalic had posted before about him - this guy trains more like a bodybuilder than a powerlifter - chest day, back day, etc…with tons of volume. I’d love it if C_C can chime in and give more insight.

Hoornstra is a Monsta!!![/quote]

the reason theis video is in josh bruant youtube channel, must be because he is coaching mr hoornstra

He has/had (haven’t checked in a while) a training log in his forum. There can see how his training has evolved.

He used to just go very heavy for singles or so every time (depending on how he felt that day), and yeah, BB 5 or 6-way split. Also fairly heavy on smaller stuff, 1035 for 5-8 on shrugs, over a hundred per side for 4-6 on alt curls and laterals, bent laterals and what have-you, one or two top sets depending.

I think 365 for reps on skullcrushers (shown in his dvd?).

Just think everything once a week bb split everything ramped up, but basically going heavier/lower rep than the average bodybuilder would, maybe some back-off sets on the bench press (405 for reps and so on).

I thought it was odd that he did nothing for his hamstrings other than conv. deadlifts on back day and whatever you get out of squats… Maybe he’s changed that since… Worked for him though as he’s/was a pretty darn good squatter for a bench guy.

Recently he tried his hand at strongman training and so on, and I think he changed his split several times maybe due to his work (fireman?). But before the last 2 years or so, he trained the same as described above for everything he did from BB to PL to whatever athletics he was involved with early on. Has a few interviews floating around as well on critical bench etc.

As for the setup… He comes from a bodybuilding background and he is also built so well for benching that his elbows practically never go below parallel no matter how little he arches or how close he grips… Triceps are always going to play a huge role there, as well as shoulders, while off-the-chest stuff becomes less important with that build (his joint ROM is never so great that it matters much, he’s basically always doing board presses even if it’s technically a full ROM bench with little arch)… Same goes for Mendelson and Kenelly for example.

Guys built like that are always going to smoke people built less well, no matter the grip width or arch. Think a bencher-build (has to go down very far to grip the bar) trying to out-deadlift a deadlifter build (who doesn’t have to get down very far to grip the bar). Stance, grip, doesn’t matter, not happening.

The hulk-something-or-other kid on this forum who pulled something like 800 after a little over a year or so of training… Is already pulling more than Hoornstra is after decades of lifting.

Same works in reverse in regards to the bench. And if you’re built so that you have massive ROM at the shoulder joint when benching compared to most, you also have the disadvantage that most assistance work which helps off the chest puts major strain/stretch on the shoulder capsule, on top of what regular benching you do, so it’s easy to irritate the area… While getting your triceps stronger for a short-armed, barrel-chested build is way less troublesome and you literally have a ton of easy-on-the-elbows exercises available.

[quote]zombiec wrote:

the reason theis video is in josh bruant youtube channel, must be because he is coaching mr hoornstra
[/quote]

Haven’t heard anything like that yet though…

Just checked Hoornstra’s forum… He hasn’t updated his training log in ages…

^ Great post CC, very well put.

Yes. Hoornstra has been working with Josh Bryant since November. He gave credit to Josh’s programming for his recent improvement.

amazing lift, and with that grip!