Jen's Log, '08

Hello ladies! May I join your powerful ranks? I’m ready for a new year of lifting, getting stronger, better, and more…well, powerful.

Goals for '08
*BW bench press
*2 x BW DL
*Front squat 125
*Find a goood trainer who can make sure I’m doing all this right!
*Make 1 yoga class a week
*Start teaching kickboxing again
*Find a new job (mine is…sucking.)

I’m looking forward to following all of your logs/progress, and welcome any advice you have to give me- your collective knowledge is pretty awesome :slight_smile:

Today’s w/o

Clean & front squat
1 x 10 45lbs
6 x 4 95 lbs

Deadlift
1 x 10 45lbs
1 x 8 135
1 x 6 185
1 x 4 205
1 x 2 225
1 x 1 235 = PR! I felt strong today, it must have been the pancake breakfast :slight_smile:

Leg extension
3 x 6 100 lbs

100 glorious situps

perhaps some cardio tonight if I feel like it after seeing Sweeny Todd…

Nice DL, yeah pancakes!
db

Nice PR! Hey at a bodyweight of 145, you’re really not that far away from a 290lb pull. Do you pull sumo or conventional?

Great job on that DL. Maybe I should switch to pancakes because the cookies and brownies are not helping my lift:)

Thanks sic, I pull conventional, never tried sumo, I may do that sometime! 290 seems verrry far away…I’m closer on the BW bench at the moment! And hey, if I get down to 140 (should be do-able for me), that’s ONLY 280 :))

Claire, I’ve had more than my fair share of christmas cookies and goodies. The pancakes were only an addition to the carb fest that has been my past 2 weeks. Oh well back to cottage cheese and tuna for a bit I guess!

Congrats on the 235 DL! That’s an awesome pull.

pancakes huh?

c.

Great workout, congrats on the DL. I think I will switch from cookies to pancakes too.
Diana

Thanks all on the congrats, I will make pancakes for you all! Who wants a snowman shape? Or will it be Minnie Mouse? I’m pretty talented at these, I have to tell you!

And now I have a completely dumbass newbie question. Should I be wearing a lifting belt? At what point do I need one? More importantly, will it help me lift more :slight_smile: I don’t feel any “tweaking” in my lower back, but am I asking for trouble later by not wearing one? Any/all advice on this is welcomed.

Today’s workout was kickboxing, I was working out with a couple new people, they were so excited, it was cool.

Pancakes (and a smidge more)work for the westside boys:

Watch out for that ‘fish oil syrup’ though.

I don’t wear a belt for deadlifts because I haven’t found a way to comfortably use it. It feels like it is hampering me more than helping me. I do know some guys who wear one, but only when they are DLing in excess of 600lbs.

If you have the ability, take some videos of your DL form and really critique yourself. If you spend time perfecting your pull you will almost insure that you do not injure yourself.

I do wear a belt when I’m doing heavy squats and I love it. I get a lot more support and tightness out of it. I started wearing it when I noticed that I was starting to sort of buckle forwards too far with heavier weight. It helps keep me straight up and down and really steadies my lower back.

Again, my issue could also be fixed by attacking the core of the problem, ab and lower back strength… which I will be doing when I start lifting again in the spring.

So a belt can be a good thing, but don’t start relying on it until you need it. Don’t bust it out for your 95lb warmup and keep it on while doing your bicep curls. :slight_smile:

[quote]gojira wrote:
Pancakes (and a smidge more)work for the westside boys:

Watch out for that ‘fish oil syrup’ though.[/quote]

Great video:) I don’t think I could eat all that food and then squat. I would end up getting sick.

I wear a belt for heavy singles, doubles and triples when squatting and DLing. I usually do not use my belt on my rep or speed day except lately to practice using the equipment.

Claire

[quote]cvb wrote:
I wear a belt for heavy singles, doubles and triples when squatting and DLing. I usually do not use my belt on my rep or speed day except lately to practice using the equipment.

Claire[/quote]

and to add to that, always put your belt on at the same number. I put mine on at 120 for the squat and 200 for the DL. don’t use it for the bench becuase it doesn’t help me any, but you still may want to try it.

Also, put a ton of heat on your lower back for the DL. That, combined with a belt has made me injury free so far. (I’m knocking on wood right after I hit submit)

c.

I just started using a belt for my squats and I definitely feel tighter and more stable. (not that using one is an excuse to avoid ab work) Never tried it with DL though. Like sic said, it doesn’t seem like it would be comfortable.

oh, and definitely try sumos. They’re so fun!

Thanks for the advice all. Maybe I’ll get a belt and play around a bit. Gojira, I’m still laughing about that video. Fish oil syrup indeed!

Today’s workout:

100 KB swings

BB bent over row
6 x 3 105 lbs

Bench press

3 x 3 115 lbs
1 x 1 120 lbs
1 x 1 125 lbs - my previous PR went up SO easy, I went for:
1 x 1 135 lbs - I really wanted the big plates! But I missed so then I tried
1 x 1 130 lbs- PR- I should be pleased and not greedy for a 10 lb pr :slight_smile:

then finished with
3 x 3 115

chin ups 5 x 5
military press 5 x 5 75 lb

bb curl 3 x 5 60 lbs
skull crusher 3 x 8 40 lbs

more KB swings

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

c., you mean like a heating pad? before you deadlift? I’m intrigued…what do you do exactly?

[quote]jenemmar wrote:

and to add to that, always put your belt on at the same number. I put mine on at 120 for the squat and 200 for the DL. don’t use it for the bench becuase it doesn’t help me any, but you still may want to try it.

Also, put a ton of heat on your lower back for the DL. That, combined with a belt has made me injury free so far. (I’m knocking on wood right after I hit submit)

c.

c., you mean like a heating pad? before you deadlift? I’m intrigued…what do you do exactly?
[/quote]

“Nicoflex”. It’s a heating ointment. Any will do. If they don’t smell it on me when I walk in the gym, I have to do a longer warm up.

You put it on whatever muscles/joints you’ll be using in your lifts. Just heavy days though. Just warms everything up so your less suseptible(?) to pulls.

c.

Hey Jen,
I’m always so impressed with what you lift!
I myself do not wear a belt and although I am still a newbie I don’t really think you need to as long as your form is still good while you are lifting. I know there is a weight point when you might want to but I’m not sure what that point is, lol.
I think I may use that suggestion about a heating ointment before lifting though, I think my shoulders will like that :slight_smile:

It’s been 3 or 4 weeks since I last weighed myself and so I checked today…expecting the worst since I’ve had holiday treats galore…but I’m exactly the same, 145, it’s a Christmas miracle :slight_smile:

Today’s w/o, light upper body, but this for some reason wiped me out completely today. I feel tired and weak right now! Time for another banana. Some eggs too.

DB decline press, alternating with KB row (26 lb KB)

1 x 15 (25 lb db)
1 x 12 (30 lb db)
1 x 20 (25 lb db)

DB lateral raises (10 lb) alternating with band pull down to front

3 x 15

preacher curl alternating with one armed tricep extension (15 lb DB)
2 x 20

some light cardio later tonight if I can get my blood sugar up!

Jen,
The lifting looks like it’s going well. Keep up the good work.

How’s kickboxing going? I’ve had to miss the last 2 weeks of muay Thai b/c of work, but I get to go back on Saturday.