Jelly, the Juice, and China

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Jelly on the Great wall. Emphasis on the jelly, lol… I was getting fat from all that food and no training.[/quote]

Tell me about it. Mmm…Beijing duck. I wasn’t even in that great shape going into the vacation after a summer of studying for the bar and less than stellar eating and intense but not frequent enough workouts. Oh well. Hitting it hard and bouncing back quickly now.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
I’ll also say that I think it would be absolutely awesome to buy your gear over the counter. I don’t have any legal issues with ordering mine, but I still think it would be fun to walk into a pharmacy where everything is laid out in front of you and just choose whatever you wanted. Fun.

Hey JR, did you happen to catch any of the prices on the over-the-counter gear?[/quote]

I imagine it’s gotta be really cheap. Everything is. Beer is 50 cents.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Cortes wrote:
I’ll also say that I think it would be absolutely awesome to buy your gear over the counter. I don’t have any legal issues with ordering mine, but I still think it would be fun to walk into a pharmacy where everything is laid out in front of you and just choose whatever you wanted. Fun.

Hey JR, did you happen to catch any of the prices on the over-the-counter gear?

I imagine it’s gotta be really cheap. Everything is. Beer is 50 cents.[/quote]

Jesus. A draft beer costs me 5 bucks here.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Great to finally see this thread here, JR! I’ve been looking forward to it.

So you guys really ate all that stuff, eh? And I thought I was bold for eating raw liver and raw beef with egg yolk. Cat? Scorpion? Damn.

It’s funny, when I was going down the list, I finally figured that the only thing I probably would be able to eat is, believe it or not, the rat. So is this food served at “fine” dining establishments, or holes-in-the-wall?

And yeah, JS, would you mind telling us what eating scorpion was like?

You guys didn’t go for the snake-on-a-stick. I’ve heard that’s a market specialty as well.[/quote]

Hey Cortes, from what I experienced, the fancy places served the bigger animals (cows, pigs, ducks, etc.)and seafood, and the street vendors had the smaller snack-like creatures (snakes, insects, starfish, etc.).

The scorpion I had was crunchy and sweet, and the snake was good too. My brother thought it was like chicken, but it reminded me more of whitefish. Starfish didn’t really taste like anything.

Jelly

[quote]Cortes wrote:

Hey JR, did you happen to catch any of the prices on the over-the-counter gear?[/quote]

Didn’t even think to look. Everything is negotiable there, you never pay what they ask and haggle over everything. Drove me nuts, lol… it took my brother an hour to get a pair of sneakers for $15.

Jelly

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Starfish didn’t really taste like anything.

Jelly [/quote]

You ate Patrick!? Blaspheme! Was Spongebob on the list, too?

That sounds like a trip of a lifetime, Jelly! Thanks for sharing.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Cortes wrote:

Hey JR, did you happen to catch any of the prices on the over-the-counter gear?

I imagine it’s gotta be really cheap. Everything is. Beer is 50 cents.

Jesus. A draft beer costs me 5 bucks here.[/quote]

Here too. A damn shame. Beer was actually cheaper than water there. So, that’s what we drank most of the time…18 days of ‘carb loading’ baby.

Nice JR.
Have the powder markets re-opened with the cessation of the Olympics?

Yes.

I just imagine the cat being very lean meat and the dog being kinda fatty.

Was it tender?

[quote]5.0 wrote:
Jelly Roll wrote:
Starfish didn’t really taste like anything.

Jelly

You ate Patrick!? Blaspheme! Was Spongebob on the list, too?

That sounds like a trip of a lifetime, Jelly! Thanks for sharing.[/quote]

Hahaha! When I told my kids they said the same thing! But no, sadly I didn’t see any sponge on the menu. I would’ve eaten it though, I told my brother beforehand that I was going to try everything.

[quote]xXDevilDogXx wrote:

Was it tender?[/quote]

DD, the cat was good but nothing special, and like you said very lean. The dog tasted like beef to me, if they hadn’t told me it was dog I never would’ve guessed. Not that tender. It wasn’t fatty at all, which is surprising because over there eating really fatty cuts of meat is very common and encouraged. Some dishes were just pure animal fat, no kidding, and of course I ate them…

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
xXDevilDogXx wrote:

Was it tender?

DD, the cat was good but nothing special, and like you said very lean. The dog tasted like beef to me, if they hadn’t told me it was dog I never would’ve guessed. Not that tender.

It wasn’t fatty at all, which is surprising because over there eating really fatty cuts of meat is very common and encouraged. Some dishes were just pure animal fat, no kidding, and of course I ate them…

[/quote]

I found it damn near impossible to get any lean protein. Didn’t really try though.