T Nation

Jeff Lewis' 1201lbs Squat

Does anyone know what federation that lift was in?

That looked like a 1/4 squat. I’m not even sure if the bottom of his thighs were parallel.

That’s not to say a 1200 partial squat is a helluva load, but that wasn’t a squat.

That’s friggin amazing.

How long before we hit the wall on how much weight people can move?

And how long before the serious injury incidents increase due to guys attempting sick amounts of weight.

I don’t mean to dis another lifter, especially someone as accomplished as Jeff Lewis, but that squat looked like it was at least a couple inches short of parallel, if not more. Was this just an illusion because of the angle of the camera?

Presumably he would have been red-lighted if he wasn’t deep enough, but it sure doesn’t look like he’s at regulation depth from the video. Still pretty impressive, I’ll admit; if I got underneath 1200, I’d be smashed flat as a piece of paper.

[quote]Chad wrote:
Christomopher wrote:
Chad wrote:
With all that cheater gear on, no wonder he can squat 1200.

In my experience, when someone blames the gear they are usually just making excuses because they need some sort of reason to explain why they lift like a 12 year old girl.

The 12 year old girls might be stronger but I’m way more fatter. [/quote]

Stretching gets your chest cut.

[quote]thmgoodw wrote:
Does anyone know what federation that lift was in?

That looked like a 1/4 squat. I’m not even sure if the bottom of his thighs were parallel.

That’s not to say a 1200 partial squat is a helluva load, but that wasn’t a squat.[/quote]

WPO.

99.9% of people don’t understand parellel.

[quote]machineshop wrote:
Chad wrote:
Christomopher wrote:
Chad wrote:
With all that cheater gear on, no wonder he can squat 1200.

In my experience, when someone blames the gear they are usually just making excuses because they need some sort of reason to explain why they lift like a 12 year old girl.

The 12 year old girls might be stronger but I’m way more fatter.

Stretching gets your chest cut.[/quote]

Stretching is can dangerous and should only be done with perfect form under the supervision of a certified professional training after a qualified medical doctor has done a full physical examine on you.

I’m still waiting to get my poop smear sample results back.

[quote]Chad wrote:
With all that cheater gear on, no wonder he can squat 1200.[/quote]

Actually his secret is all the functional strength he gets from his stability ball training.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Chad wrote:
With all that cheater gear on, no wonder he can squat 1200.

Actually his secret is all the functional strength he gets from his stability ball training. [/quote]

Reverse band single legged hyper extended multilateral reversinated BOSU ball isometric squats with contrast did wonders for my squats. Now only if I could figure out what DB Hammer was talking about I’d be teh win.

I know a lot of people are just having fun on this thread with some of the goofy comments… but, very impressive, nice lift.

The WPO isn’t as strict as some of the other federations regarding squat depth. Still, he looked like he made a good effort to get legal depth for the WPO. Given his size, it wouldn’t be easy for him to get a heck of a lot lower than he got.

Great job by this guy!

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Chad wrote:
With all that cheater gear on, no wonder he can squat 1200.

Actually his secret is all the functional strength he gets from his stability ball training. [/quote]

Nope… you’re all wrong. He told me his secret is to do single leg squats on a stability ball while waxing his skateboard.

Fahd

very impressive amount of weight to be moving, but at the end of the day it less than 2 and half times bodyweight for him, i’d rather see an athletic 200 pound man squat 500,

Well,

Whether it is the WPO/APF or the IPF/USAPL the rulebooks are the same when it comes to squat depth. The difference is the judging. But if you ever tried to break “parallel” in double ply suit you will understand why these guys never hit a decent squat depth.

Rule on squat depth, the word “parallel” is never used in powerlifting

Upon receiving the Chief Referee?s signal the lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint is lower than the top of the knees.

There have been very many 500 lb squats at 200 pounds as opposed to one 1201 squat at any weight.

Pound for pound is never used in powerlifting. There are formulas to figure out bodyweight differences.

[quote]Viking69 wrote:
But if you ever tried to break “parallel” in double ply suit you will understand why these guys never hit a decent squat depth.
[/quote]

Never? I’m going to assume that was bitter hyperbole and not just idiocy.

For the others - If you can’t look at that video and tell that Lewis was at least close to parallel, then you’re blind. He could have been a little over or a little under when viewed from the side, but to not think it’s close to a legal squat means that you have no idea what a legal squat should look like.

[quote]Veszy wrote:
very impressive amount of weight to be moving, but at the end of the day it less than 2 and half times bodyweight for him, i’d rather see an athletic 200 pound man squat 500, [/quote]

Every guy in our gym over 200 squats more than 500. In fact, over half the gym squats 800+. The one guy under 200 weighs 150 and squatted 425 the other night, and he’s been with us for about 6 months. However I have only seen one fat bastard squat 1200.

Lewis was probably more than 551, as the scale only went up to that (250 kilos).

[quote]RickJames wrote:

Lewis was probably more than 551, as the scale only went up to that (250 kilos). [/quote]

lol.

It was lower than a good portion of the WPO squats on Irongame from couple of months ago. Any way you put it, equipment or not, it’s more than I can move, so I’m somewhat impressed. His dead is weak for the elite level, but at that size, getting down can’t be easy!!!

[quote]kroc30 wrote:
“It was lower than a good portion of the WPO squats on Irongame from couple of months ago.”

I agree with that. It seems to me that I’ve seen higher squats than this one passed (white lights) in the WPO.

I mean if this squat was “high”, sure I might be bitching a bit, but he looked like he got down there pretty good.

Finally someone caught up to Paul Anderson’s legendary unofficial squat record from 196?. Actual poundage depending mostly upon which version of the story you read.

Anderson’s 3X bodyweight+ was done when he weighed 365 or so and Lewis crushed the Fairbanks at something in excess of 551!?! A triple bodyweight lift for Lewis would be in the 1650 range!
Just imagine what Anderson might have done with this kind of competition and all the various types of gear available today.
If Lewis is smart he will continue to set records for another year or two and then spend the rest of his life trying to lose about three hundred pounds. Then he has a chance to discover what it feels like to be able to climb a flight of stairs without being incessantly reminded about Tate’s list Reasons to be Big at every step.
In any case there is a new number one at the top of my dead pool list for powerlifters.

Big Jeff serving it.