Jed's Log

Waaaaaaaayyy back when I was 20 or 21 I was squatting, using shitty form I’m sure, and I nailed 385 for a single.
Well a little back story first:
At that time I was using an 8 day programming split with everything being hit twice in those 8 days, once heavy and once light.

The average lifting session lasted about 2 hours and I was taking in between 5,000 and 7,000 calories (I didn’t track macros). I was a pretty big guy but, not very strong. I weighed about 225 but my bench was only 285 or so, I only did rack pulls, not full deads the heaviest being 585, my military press was equal to my flat bench. I would do the dumbest shit, trying to be the strongest guy in the gym; 100 lb dumbell hammer curls, 700 lb calf raises, etc. I was always tweaking my back, injuring a joint and just training right through it like a dumbass.

Like I said, I squatted 385 for a single and wanted to go heavier. I didn’t have the safety bars in the squat rack because, like most dumbass gym bros, I didn’t go past parallel. Hell, I probably didn’t even get to parallel!

I peel off the 35’s and slide on another pair of 45’s, making sure to slam them together so everyone turned to notice me getting ready to squat 4 plates per side. I get under it, unrack it with the bar on my neck, take a couple wobbly steps back then squat down and get stuck. I can move up a couple of inches so I try bouncing out of the bottom a few times and something pops in my knee then it folds kind of sideways as I crumble under the weight. My knee is swolen for a week or so and I hobble around for quite a while.

That happened about 13 years ago.

I’ve never had it examined or repaired and it’s always been crackly. As I’ve aged it changed to a “pock”. My quads are not symmetrical.
Lately I’ve noticed it sounds sort of like crumbling paper if I lay on my back and bend it in the air.

Sounds like cartlige damage, as I think if it was tendon or ligamit damage you would have folded over, I’m not a Dr, obviously, as I can’t even spell the things I’m trying to discribe, but I’ve spent years in surgons offices. If it is carlige damage, I think thats pretty easily fixed, they can go in and scrape it away, day surgery, as you don’t even get knocked out. In Canada this is all free, not sure about States.

I personaly had to reteach myself how to squat pain free, starting with box squats, and learning to keep the weight on my heal, and along the outside of my foot, you could actually slide your hand under my iner foot, and big toe while I’m squatting. When I’m squatting if I put any pressure on my inner foot, or front foot, especialy big toe. I can hardly walk the next day, as my inner left knee hurts so bad. After years of squatting this way, it seems to have strenghtened it’s self a bunch. I’m able to get away with a little more forwar knee travel, and lately front squats, obviously, but for the longest time I had to keep my lower leg completely vertical when I squatted.

If you put your hand on your knee when your moving it back and forth, and you can feel alot of clicking and grinding, thats carltige damage, and lots of my hockey friends have been through this, and were pain free a week or two after the operation. If this isn’t an option for what ever reason, you can try some of the other things I mentioned. Using a parelle box, and learning to squat, while keeping your lower leg completely vertical, takes alot of practice. You have to have a strong lower back for this type of squatting as your forced to lean forward, to be able to push your butt back. Alot of guys over the years have given me shit for this style of squatting, but it allows me to squat pain free period, and I’ve managed to get my squat up over 405 using this style, so it is what it is. Now that I’m front squatting it almost seems as it’s started to fix it’s self, if thats possible. Anyway a couple things. Goodluck I’d atleast see a Dr if I were you. Later

Up those carbs and see gainzzzz

Yeah, not free here in the States. I’ve changed jobs recently and am still in the period before my health benefits begin; 520 hours worked. I’m at 480 as of this past Saturday so after next week I can see a doctor! And there was much rejoicing…yay.

Hopefully it will be a quick recovery type of injury because I can’t take too much time off right now. Saving for a house and Disney for the kids. So if it’s major I’ll just put it off a bit longer and try to work around it. It may sound dumb but I’m still “functional” and I want to take the kids before they grow out of the “Disney is magical!” age.

I may start carb cycling to see what kind of effect it has on my bodyfat levels; a few weeks high then back to where I am now for a week. I’m gun shy about getting fatter, though… I know it’s most likely hampering my strength gains but I do not want to be a fat ass again.

C5, W2, D4:

Abs and stretching.

Leg Curls:
5 sets of 10

Leg press:
sled(140) x 15
230 x 15
320 x 15
410 x 10
500 x 10
535 x 5
605 x 3
675 x 10

1 scoop of whey.

I was offered the use of a set of bag gloves so I went a few rounds with the heavy bags at this point. After about 15 or 20 minutes I was pooped so I headed home.

I just realized as I was plugging in my numbers, this was supposed to be my 3’s week, not 5, 3, 1.
Shit.

Hope you get the injury all figured out man.

Thanks, me too. Most likely it’s not that serious and I just need to HTFU. lol

My wife finally joined T-Nation.
Here’s her log:

C5, W3, D1:
lateral raises, crunches and neck bridges as a warm up.

OHP:
bar x 10
65 x 10
95 x 10
115 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 3
165 x 10 (I was hoping for more)

1 scoop of whey

Dips (SS with bent laterals for 6 sets of 15):
bw x 15
45 for 5 sets of 15

Chins:
5 sets of 10

Rope Pressdowns:
1 set to searing failure at 80 lbs

C5, W3, D2:
Crunches and stretching.

Deadlift:
bar x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 10
275 x 5
315 x 3
335 x 11 (Another rep pr!)

Hanging Leg Raises:
5 sets of 15

Flat Bench Flag:
2 sets of 10

Good Mornings:
5 sets of 12 @ 185

Hello, Sweetie :wink:

C5, W3, D3:

Lateral raises and stretching.

Flat Bench (weights are off, I forgot my program…):
bar x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 10
275 x 5
295 x 3
315 x 2 (Failed at 3)

Dumbell Rows:
100 for 3 sets of 10
130 for 2 sets of 10

Incline DB Bench:
80’s for 3 sets of 15
100’s for 1 set of 12
110’s for 1 set of 8 (I was going to use the 120’s but one of them is wicked bent.)
80’s for 1 set of 15

E-Z Bar Curl:
3 sets of 15

[quote]RozS wrote:

[/quote]

Hi there!

[quote]The_Jed wrote:

[quote]RozS wrote:

[/quote]

Hi there![/quote]

Shall we compare diaries, then? :wink:

[quote]The_Jed wrote:
Incline DB Bench:
110’s for 1 set of 8[/quote]
Say whaaaat

I’ve always been disproportionately strong on the incline and military press when compared to my flat bench. The same goes for dumbells. Dumbell incline doubly so. I was going to get it on video but I always feel like a big douche setting up a camera to record myself lifting.

[quote]RozS wrote:

[quote]The_Jed wrote:

[quote]RozS wrote:

[/quote]

Hi there![/quote]

Shall we compare diaries, then? :wink: [/quote]

Spoilers. :slight_smile:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]The_Jed wrote:
Incline DB Bench:
110’s for 1 set of 8[/quote]
Say whaaaat[/quote]

Just like I told MightyMouse, I would gladly trade you some of my pressiness for a bit of your pulling/squatting power. :slight_smile:

C5, W3, D4:
Neck bridges and crunches along with lots of stretching as a warm up.

Leg Curls:
5 sets of 15-20

Leg Press:
140(sled) x 10
230 x 10
320 x 10
410 x 10
500 x 10
590 x 5
680 x 4 (Something funny happened with my hamstring on this set, it felt like someone was plucking it.)

Moving on…

Squats to a box just above parallel (10 or 15 degrees, if I had to guess):
bar x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 for 3 sets of 10 (On the last set I was able to drive it up with enough force that the bar lifted off my traps at the top.)
After some deliberation I said screw it and added some more weight. My hamstring was acting as it should so, why not?
325 x 2

So there, I can squat more than I can bench…as long as it’s above parallel…to a box/bench.

Leg Extensions:
1 set to failure