JDS Strength Training?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what kind of weight training program Junior Dos Santos uses? He’s obviously in great shape and has tremendous power in his shots. While strength is only one part of a pro. fighter’s training, I’d be interested to know if JDS uses an established system like Westside, 5/3/1 etc.

he’s from brazil

I’m well aware of that, but I fail to see what relevance it has to his strength training.

Just that he isn’t doing 531 or Westside. What you should understand is that strength has a low correlation towards punching power. I have seen Rogerio Camoes train athletes who I believe trains JDS. It is mostly things like circuits, bodybuilding some heavy work, and running. FROM WHAT I’VE SEEN. None of his fighters are known for having stellar gas tanks despite them being on a whole very successful.

[quote]BlackDouglas wrote:
I’m well aware of that, but I fail to see what relevance it has to his strength training.[/quote]
I think he was saying he is on the gas, because it’s legal down there.

I bet he lifts from time to time. And I’m sorry, sardines, but strength does play quite a role in punching power. Heavyweights knock each other out left and right, but lightweights rarely get a knockout, even though they usually have as good or better technique.

lightweights in boxing or MMA dont get knockouts.
wow.

I think class of 2010 is on par with 09.

Hahah oh wow.

[quote]Glentract wrote:
I bet he lifts from time to time. And I’m sorry, sardines, but strength does play quite a role in punching power. Heavyweights knock each other out left and right, but lightweights rarely get a knockout, even though they usually have as good or better technique.[/quote]
take a physics class

i’m impressed

[quote]Glentract wrote:
I bet he lifts from time to time. And I’m sorry, sardines, but strength does play quite a role in punching power. Heavyweights knock each other out left and right, but lightweights rarely get a knockout, even though they usually have as good or better technique.[/quote]

That has to do with how much mass is behind the punch.
Get a 100 pound man who can bench/deadlift/squat/whatever more than a 250 pound man.
Have each individual punch you. 100 percent guaranteed the 250 pound man will hit harder.

boys and girls: meet the relative strength curve.

The more (muscle) mass you have, the more potential strength you get, while getting weaker, relatively to your bodyweight.

Also, potential strength means just that:
I’ve seen buff guys -even for american standards- hit like girls.
On the other hand also strong, massive dudes who just haymakering their opponent (that would be me…) with terrible punching technique into full defense and knockdown.

It’s not etched in stone that strength training will increase something like punching power.
To put even more confusion into it, highly technical strikes can look weakish but still have lot of hard, mean, follow through in them. Especially if the puncher has good aim, posture and timing.
It’s a very complex issue.

Personally , I very much believe that strengh training should be a part of a martial artists education.

p.s. Lol@ 5/3/1

It doesn’t match up to the force time curve. Strength will just give a person more potential that’s it. That’s why there are such powerful little guys and many slow weak strong punchers. The real reason bigger guys hit so hard is because they have a lot of mass behind there punches not because they can deadlift x amount of weight.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
boys and girls: meet the relative strength curve.

The more (muscle) mass you have, the more potential strength you get, while getting weaker, relatively to your bodyweight.

Also, potential strength means just that:
I’ve seen buff guys -even for american standards- hit like girls.
On the other hand also strong, massive dudes who just haymakering their opponent (that would be me…) with terrible punching technique into full defense and knockdown.

It’s not etched in stone that strength training will increase something like punching power.
To put even more confusion into it, highly technical strikes can look weakish but still have lot of hard, mean, follow through in them. Especially if the puncher has good aim, posture and timing.
It’s a very complex issue.

Personally , I very much believe that strengh training should be a part of a martial artists education.

p.s. Lol@ 5/3/1 [/quote]

Why? 5/3/1 Is one of the best strength training systems.

Then go tell JDS.

Apart from a few lifters, who do you think has ever heard of “5/3/1” (which may be good but is also, btw, fucking complicated) ?

5/3/1 really isn’t that complicated (and if you get the ebook, it even has tables that do the little math there is for you).

Picking out one natural talent that is strong without it hardly invalidates the system. No one, including Wendler, will dispute that people get strong in ways other than 5/3/1 or Westside. However, I have yet to see anyone who did the system properly for any extended period of time who wasn’t stronger than the average gym goer.

That being said, you’re right that strength and punch power have low (but real and significant) correlation. However, there’s more to MMA than punching, and I have yet to see anyone who thought being a really strong bastard was a disadvantage in the ring.

Then go tell JDS.

Apart from a few lifters, who do you think has ever heard of “5/3/1” (which may be good but is also, btw, fucking complicated) ?
[/quote]

You mean apart from most Sherdog?

And it can’t be THAT complicated: I use it.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
5/3/1 really isn’t that complicated (and if you get the ebook, it even has tables that do the little math there is for you).

Picking out one natural talent that is strong without it hardly invalidates the system. No one, including Wendler, will dispute that people get strong in ways other than 5/3/1 or Westside. However, I have yet to see anyone who did the system properly for any extended period of time who wasn’t stronger than the average gym goer.

That being said, you’re right that strength and punch power have low (but real and significant) correlation. However, there’s more to MMA than punching, and I have yet to see anyone who thought being a really strong bastard was a disadvantage in the ring.[/quote]

ok but jds hardly strikes me as a strong hw. And there are disadvantage mainly in muscular endurance. Strength is limited by size, the bigger you are the more energy your muscles require.

531 is great.

But its not right for everyones goals-

for the recreational MMA/BJJ type its a no brainer
for the average lifter trying to keep lifting and always have progress its good.

Its great to keep getting gains in strength and not get too banged up.

for someone who is a semi pro- or already has a 35 hour a week training relative to their sport
some elements of 531 can fit the bill
some.
other methods might be better suited for fighters- might have little ‘off-season’ time
might be better suited to methods that can produce results faster
really it depends on the athlete and what their schedule is

a few years ago- people would scream westside for all atheletes-
and those methods are incredible but not suited for everyone either

[quote]BlackDouglas wrote:

Then go tell JDS.

[/quote]

You mean apart from most Sherdog?

And it can’t be THAT complicated: I use it.[/quote]

Yes- you REALLY should write a mail to JDS and tell him to visit the Sherdog forum for training tips!