A New Animal: JDM135 for 1-2-3-4 plates

11/24 Tuesday
I’ll be spending nearly the entire day driving, so figured I’d do myself a favor and move around before hitting the road. 1.1 mile 30# vest walk in 18:22. Its time to add weight to the vest.

11/25 Wednesday
Olad week 3 lift 2
squats
185x5
215x3
245x2 sorta PR
185x5

*sorta PR because I did 245x2 before, but they weren’t deep enough to count. This time they were definitely parallel or below.

Almost done!

2 Likes

Congrats on another PR man.

Does squatting give your arm issues?

1 Like

Thanks.
Yes, amazingly, even squatting hurts my elbow. I assume it’s because of the full-body tension, keeping lats tight and gripping the crap out of the bar. If it didn’t aggravate things, I would keep squatting during my recovery hiatus. Unweighted RFESS is probably the best I’ll be able to do.

1 Like

Yeah that was going to be my grand idea. Hoping for a quick recovery, good luck man.

186lbs today. Picture for reference.

Lol not a good pic. I swear my arms and quads are bigger than that lol.

11/26 Thanksgiving day
1 mile super slow weighted vest walk with family
35#, took 28 minutes.
Ate tons at a family gathering, but less dessert than most of those present. And played badminton for close to 3 hours.

11/27 Friday
Olad week 3 lift 3
press
95x5
115x3
Attempted 125x2
Barely got the first rep, second rep stalled at eye level. Immediately dropped to 115 and squeezed out a single.
95x8 as penance

So 125x1 was a PR I set 3 weeks ago. I shouldn’t be disappointed in not getting 125x2 today but I really thought I would get it… I should be happy I replicated the PR at least.

Today begins a lifting hiatus! Will update as I figure out what I’m going to do for the next 3 weeks while I try to give my arm a break.
Meanwhile I’m still doing electrical and plumbing work, painting, and oh yeah - building a playhouse for the kids. Sorry, elbow.

1 Like

11/29
1.1 mile 35# walk in 17:43
Couple hours later, another mile 35# with the family, super slow, like 30 mins.

11/30 Monday
Upped the vest to 40#, maximum capacity
1.1 mile walk untimed

Edit to add: 12/1 Tuesday
Another 40# 1.1 mile walk Untimed.

12/2 Wednesday
Went to the gym for a “hands-free” workout. Ended up getting more than I bargained for.
Basically no rest the whole time, just a few seconds here and there to catch my breath:
RFESS, no weight, 5x10 each side
Lying leg curls, crazy dropset that made me want to die
Band pullaparts
Leg extensions, crazy dropset that made me want to die
Situps on decline: 10 straight, 10 left, 10 right, 10 straight; 5 straight, 5 left, 5 right, 5 straight. Just about threw up at this point and felt a cramp in my abs.
GHR, bodyweight only, focus on “crushing a walnut” between my glutes:
3x30 with about 30 seconds rest in between.
Just about threw up at this point.
Staggered over to do (right arm only) cable garbage and realized I was definitely going to hurl or pass out if I kept moving. Ended up nearly collapsing in the shower and taking about 20 minutes to recover well enough to drive to work.

All in all I think it was a combination of breakfast being only sausage and coffee, and working hard with no rest, when I’m used to short sets with plenty of rest, that did me in. I feel fine now. Perhaps this is the time to build work capacity while I’m not using the arm.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good workout - you’ll see, at the end of this, you will have huge legs :wink:

2 Likes

Haha thanks. My squat is disproportionately low so maybe I can lay a good foundation while I heal.

1 Like

12/3/2020
1.1 mile 40# walk, untimed.

Doms update: sore abs and glutes, to a lesser extent soreness in my hams and quads.

Elbow update: it’s better than it was 3 weeks ago, but about the same as 6-8 weeks ago IIRC.
Keeping up with the rehab exercise, and resting it as much as possible. Strangely it is worse at night.

Bodyweight 184.5 this morning.

12/4 Friday
About 1.5 miles with 40# vest. I’ve become acclimated to it, time to start pushing distance a bit.
Bodyweight 184.5 again despite eating a massive fat and carb meal last night. DOMS came in a bit more in my hams and quads.

12/5 Saturday
2.1 miles with vest.
It’s been a full week since I used my elbow in a lift, I am still hesitant to say it’s getting much better. I did some heavy yard work last night, and when I came in my elbow was on fire again. And of course it hurt during the work.

I honestly think that you should look at this in a much longer time frame - one week is not much time - especially if you aggravate it with other types of heavy activity.

2 Likes

12/7/2020, Monday
RFESS
Bodyweight only. 10x10 each side. 60 sec rest periods, crept up to about 70 sec by the end.
Overhead squat
Yes, I’m not supposed to touch a barbell for my elbow. But I used the empty bar, and the elbow stays straight the whole time, so it didn’t aggravate anything.

Finished off with 30 decline situps and 30 GHR.

You are right sir. I know you are. I just hate doing nothing and waiting. But it took months to get this bad, it will probably take several weeks to heal. I just hope that once it heals, I can lift again and not ruin it and start recovery all over again.

1 Like

I feel you 100%. And who am I to talk - I should myself take a break to get my wrist back in full health. But I hesitate - would hate to break my progress. So yeah, much easier said to others, than applied to oneself.

I only have my own experience to go by - and am not otherwise qualified, so could be wrong. But I would think you could - but that there will be a real risk, that it will flare up when you overdo things. You will need to learn to back off, when it does and design your workouts around it.