A New Animal: JDM135 for 1-2-3-4 plates

Morning weigh in: 187.8. Thought I’d be heavier.
OLAD WEEK 1 lift 3:
press
Each set followed quickly by 5 side raises, with forward lean, 15lb dbs.
105x5
100x5
95x5
100x5 #5 was barely there, cant go up to 105
100x5
100x5
105x5

11/14, Saturday.
Pre-dawn 15# vest walk, 1.1 mile lap. Timed it, 22:43, but wasn’t in a rush.

Leg DOMS still lingers, no shoulder DOMS at all hahaha, and left elbow continues to be on fire.

11/16/2020
OLAD week 2 lift 1
6 sets of 3
bench press
Each set followed by 3 fast pushups
185x3
190x3
185x3
185x3
190x3
185x5

Then did some time on the glute machine (donkey kick machine) and the GHR, since it doesn’t involve my elbow and I have no ass.

Woke up an extra half hour early on purpose to make sure my elbow was warmed up and not exploding. I did 2x15 reverse tyler twists for it too.
I’m happy to note that while the forearm/medial epicondylitis is still severe, I didn’t have the back-of-the-elbow pain I had last week when benching.

Also on the 5th set of bench press I finally asked a guy to spot me. I was afraid if I tried the 190 again I wouldn’t be able to get it up off my chest on the 3rd rep. I have almost never used a spotter. as soon as I lay down on the bench with this dude behind me, I felt 10 pounds stronger. Probably could have got 190 for 4 reps. That’s the same reason I got the 185 for 5 reps at the end, because there was this guy they’re shouting me on.
Which proves what I had known for a long time, which is that I am inside my own head on bench press as well as squats.

1 Like

11/17, Tuesday.
Weight vest walk, 20#, 1.1 mile. 19:06. That’s pretty quick. It was cold and I wanted to get back inside!

11/18/2020, Wednesday.
OLAD Week 2, Lift 2:
Squat
Each set followed by 3 high jumps.
215x3
225x3 - PR
215x3
225x3
215x3
225x3
Then finished with bodyweight RFESS, 20 each side.

Elbow was on fire by the second set. Looking forward to the further reduction in volume next week, then a total break from gym-related elbow stress.

225 (Pounds, not kilos!) for 3 reps is a lifetime squat PR for me.
In March I did it for a double and logged that the second rep was crap, so I’m definitely improving. At the same time I’m acutely aware that this is super low for most lifters with my weight and training experience lol. However I’m improving and that’s what counts.
I have some critiques for myself though:
*Depth was OK, but could have been better. On lighter weights I allow myself to go deeper, as it gets heavier I get nervous and lock up about parallel.
*Ass kept coming up first, then squat-morning the rest of the way. Not on every rep, but several times during the session. Also I have no ass. Are these facts related? What can I do to drill technique here?

2 Likes

Awesome dude, congrats on the PR.

I’d post a form check vid and tag a few people. @garagerocker13 and @mortdk both were patient and willing to give some advice to me which really, really helped me out.

Thanks!
I was thinking that during the session. But I use a very busy commercial gym and getting a video feels pretty awkward… I’ll give it a try tho next time. What’s the preferred angle? I’m guessing side on, with camera waist high ish?

I’d try to get as much of your body as possible. Side view would prob be good. You could even ask someone to record for you if you’re comfortable with that.

Good luck!

1 Like

11/19, Thursday.
3x15 reverse Tyler twists with the theraband bar. I hope this helps but tbh I don’t see how its much different from an eccentric wrist curl. Been doing them every day for 3 days, will update in 2 weeks and see how it is.
1.1 mile weighted vest walk 25#. Didn’t time it.
For the first time the vest felt burdensome. So I’m getting to a more meaningful amount of load.
This must be what it feels like to weigh 215lbs. I wonder if the body reacts to this by shoring up the spine, hips, ankles, and knees as would befit a body 25# heavier. I hope so. Probably would require longer walks, daily, to get the effect.

11/20 friday
OLAD week 2 lift 3
press
Each set followed by 5 side raises, 15#, forward lean.
115x3
110x3
115x3
120x3 Rep PR I think?
115x3
115x3

Later that day: half mile slow walk with family, weighted vest at 30#. The jump to 30 was bigger than the jump to 25, i really feel it in my traps.

2 Likes

11/21 Saturday
1.1 mile walk with 30# weight vest. 19:20.
Elbow is on fire as usual, woke up with it hurting.
It has become painfully obvious that even with pressing and squats only, on top of my normal life activity, my elbow is not getting the rest it needs to heal. I’m going to finish OLAD - week 3 is just 10 total reps per exercise - and take time off.
I am still doing the Theraband exercise so hopefully that will pay off. It doesn’t seem to make it worse at least.
I get pain in the back of the elbow now whenever it is fully extended. That’s been going on for a while now but I never mentioned it… assuming it is caused by the primary problem.

Should also note that normal life activities have taken a huge hit because of this. I was supposed to finish a playhouse for the kids and I just abandoned it. That’s not like me, but the thought of digging more postholes and hauling heavy lumber has me avoiding it.

Edit to add: another half mile with 30# vest with family, then 90 minutes (30 per child) of light jogging, throwing, catching, etc. And another half mile unweighted.

1 Like

11/22 sunday
Another 1.1 mile in 30# vest, then 3/4 miles unweighted with family.
Lots of painting in the morning, easy afternoon. Elbow isn’t on fire for once but I’m icing it anyway.

1 Like

11/23, monday
OLAD Week 3 lift 1
bench press
175x5
190x3
200x3

Had a spotter again for the last set and felt so much stronger, had to go for 3 instead of 2. Glad I did, because it’s the last time I’ll bench press for a while.

Note: elbow painful when I woke up, and that back-of-the-elbow pain came back during benching warmup. Still doing the theraband bar.

1 Like

deleted

1 Like

Glad the document sparked your interest! Sounds like your family will get a lot out of exploring this. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

1 Like

And I should mention that

Saturday was the start of a weekly tradition I hope to stick to, partly inspired by suggestions in that doc.

1 Like

Damn man press!!! Or bench?

1 Like

Rofl you know damn well I cant press for crap! Fixed it. Thanks.

1 Like

Either way man, awesome lifting.

1 Like

Thanks man. I’m really glad for the low volume this week, I need a break.
Also that was a bench press PR for me, didn’t realize it until just now.
I’ve made a lot of progress since my appendectomy; hope I don’t lose too much during my elbow hiatus!