T Nation

JDarkRaget's Motivation

Finally am trying to get serious about lifting and seeing how much I can better my physique. I’ve seen a few training logs on the site and thought maybe I should take a crack at it. So the journey begins!

Back ground:All of high school I was overweight and out of shape, after I failed my senior year of high school I was heading down a really bad path. So I decided It was time to change. Over my 3 month summer break from school I went from a very round 5’9 250lb down to about 190-195. I Lost the weight way to quickly. To go with the fat I also lost a good amount of muscle and ended up with tons of loose skin to top it off. I’ve been lifting off and on for the last 2 years now, but have never gotten serious about it. FYI I did go back and graduate the next semester =)

Where I stand:
5’9
180-185lbs
BF:10-15%(ballpark)
1RM bench-220
Haven’t maxed other lifts
pics coming as soon as i can get a camera

Routine: as of now I try to lift 3 times a week doing total body. Cant afford a gym membership so im stuck with the smith machine… ew and a few freeweights in the house im renting.

Diet: Im not going to lie it sucks. living on my own at 19 is rough money wise so im limited on food. I drink 1 or 2 protein shakes a day and try to keep the whole food relatively clean.

Goals:190lbs and under 10% bf by end of June. While having my whole body progress I want to focus more on my chest(which is pitiful) and my traps. Less important goal is to finally dunk a basketball, I loved basketball all my life and I worked my way up to grabing rim but never got passed that.

Well going to go lift, I’ll post later on the details

[quote]jdarkraget wrote:

Well going to go lift, I’ll post later on the details

[/quote]

good start I’d say.

Shitty about the living on your own @19. But i suppose so long as you have a steady job or some sick student loans you’ll be good. I find with a vegetable majority of food mass I can keep the bills down on groceries easy. It’s the dead animals that cost the cash.

See if you can get someone you know that works at a restaurant to hook you up with food service lugs of chicken and beef. Shit is mad cheap in food service quanities. Alternatively get a part time ob at a restaurant as a cook. Good for food hookups and good for developing kungfu cooking skills.

“Chicks like guys with skills…”

-chris

3/6/07

warm up: some push ups and bodyweight squats

Explosive squats: 3x10
Bent rows: 3x10
Leg curls: 3x10
Wide grip bench: 5x5 (last set 5 half ups and 5 full reps)
Deadlift: 2x10 (droped a set to finish rest of workout strong-im a pussy)
Shrugs:3x8
Curls:3x10
Butterfly: 3x12

Ab work
stretched
Total time=50mins

Pre workout:No-xplode(I know how people feel about this product on this site but i got it so im gona use it)
During: Sipped whey shake
Post: Surge + 5g creatine, BCAA’s and my multi(forgot it this morning)

Also taking REZ-V and Alpha Male daily(you might say im too young to benefit from these but I love the way i feel when i take it so im gona use it till it runs out). Also ran out of Flameout last night so some cheap fish oil is gona have to do.

Any advice is welcome

PS:I got all those supps when i was living for free with my mom and I had extra cash. Wont be buying anything but protein powder and more creatine from now on.

3/7/07

Tired as hell from work today. Gona use some cocoa butter, throw the under armor on, and take a nap.

still trying to tighten up my skin. I can pull inches of skin still from my lower stomach and arms.

Might do some push ups to get the blood flowin when i wake up.

hard work = results

3/08/07

Work out looked something like this
Total time=50mins

Military press: 3x10
BB lunges 2x5: ( hamstrings&glutes sore from last workout)
Bent over Row: 3x12
sumo style deadlift: 3x10
wide incline bench: 3x5 1x4 1x2 ( never done incline and wide at same time, pretty hard)
butterflies: 3x12
shrugs: 3x10
reverse curls: 3x10
leg extensions :1x10 1x5(single leg) 1x15

ab work
stretch

Preworkout-noxplode
During-sipped whey shake
post- Surge +5g creatine+BCAA’s

PS:felt good throughout whole workout cept some pain when doin the lunges. Not really tired(maybe the increase in protein and bcca’s is helping or maybe I could of pushed out a few more reps)Gota be able to walk tommorow tho

hard work = results

3/9/07

Chest and upper back, pretty damn sore.

Just a couple of push ups and the ab roller today.

Took the weekend off from liftin.Worked all yesterday(sat) and about to goto work now(sun). My free time goes to the girlfriend on the weekend. Starting back up tommorow, and am going to tryn stick with M-W-F workouts.

3/12/07

Workout time: 40mins

warmup- push ups
(tried to keep rest time down)
wide grip bench 3x10
deadlift 3x10
narrow stance squats 2x10
bent rows 3x10
butterflies 3x12
curls 2x10
seated cable pulls over hand 1x10
under hand grip 1x10

Supps:no xplode pre
whey shake during
Surge + creatine post

*feels like my biceps take over on all my uper body lifts, gona try some different techniques on WED, any tips are welcome.

Also thinking about switching to a body part split next week, doing all these compound lifts in the same day wipes me out.

Hard work = results

3/13

Played wayyyy to much basketball

3/14 legs hurting from all the running yesterday, just shot the basketball around and did some ab roller today.

At first glance it looks like you have a very nice set of exercises going and you stand to make some nice gains. Keep updating :slight_smile: Even though the basketball kept you from doing legs today, if you’re keeping to M W F, it’s a good functional use of the strength your gaining and muscular endurance is always a plus.

Heres some old pics since i aint got any new ones on my computer yet. Just to give you an idea of where im starting from:(this is me about 1 year ago, havent changed too much, a lil leaner maybe now.

3/15

got home from work and was totally unmotivated. Ordered papa johns and convinced my self i was super bulking. I ate 1/2 of an XL sausage sensation pizza and a whol large peperoni pizza. Fell asleep early and caught up on sleep.

[quote]jdarkraget wrote:
Hard work = results[/quote]

Only one lift this week? Keep yourself on the right track. Eating and sleeping are vital, but so is training. Keep us posted.

[quote]Modi wrote:
jdarkraget wrote:
Hard work = results

Only one lift this week? Keep yourself on the right track. Eating and sleeping are vital, but so is training. Keep us posted.[/quote]

I know i should of found alot more time for lifting last week, my work schedule is back to normal now so hopfully ill get 3 in this week. Gona go chug down a shake and head to work, hopfully will have the energy to give it my all in the weight room tonight.

3/19/07 elapsed time 46mins

Back at it strong today, after 8 hours of work i was pretty beat, took 2 Spike and was ready to go.

warmup
military press(standing) 3x10
lunges 2x10
wide incline bench 3x10
power cleans 3x5(light) practiced form
bent rows 3x8
butterflies 1x12 70lbs 1x1080lbs 1x8 85lbs
single leg extension 2x5 (for each leg)
1 set of 21’s (curls)
shrugs 3x10
jump squats 2x10
ab roller 2x15
stretch

2 Spike pre workout
1 whey shake during
1 serving Surge after
-anyone else have problems with their Surge not disolving all the way? i always end up with some chunks

hard work = results

[quote]jdarkraget wrote:
1 serving Surge after
-anyone else have problems with their Surge not disolving all the way? i always end up with some chunks
[/quote]

Chunks = Treats

Make sure you use enough water and shake the hell out of it. Actually, if you add half of the Surge, shake it, and then add the second half it seems to mix better.

[quote]Chunks = Treats

Make sure you use enough water and shake the hell out of it. Actually, if you add half of the Surge, shake it, and then add the second half it seems to mix better.[/quote]

Ill try adding 1/2 at a time like you say, will post later with workout how it works for me

3/21
yesterdays workout:
(left knee hurt before lifting; tried to take it easy on it)
warm up
curls 3x12
underhand seated rows 3x12
overhand seated rows 3x10
deadlift 5x5
incline bench 2x5
decline bench 2x5
bench 2x5
butterflies 2x12 1x8
lat pulldown 3x5
front raises 2x8
ab roller

almost no soreness the day after. I pushed myself pretty hard i thought id be hurtin today. I geuss Surge is helping ALOT with recovery. (mixed Surge a 1/2 at a time and it did work a lil better thanks for the tip)

Just eating today and some push ups

Good to see that your are back at it. Are you doing the exercises in the order that you listed? If so, there is a better option.

Have had some serious computer problems of late, did lift on friday but didnt write anything down, had limited time only lasted like 30mins. Been playing more and more basketball. Gona go lift here in a few minutes if i can get some motivation.