T Nation

JB's KM Log

Inspired by many of the good folks of this fine forum, I have decided to maintain a training log in the hope it inspires me that little bit more.

Some background stats:

Weight: 172lbs
BF: 11%
Training summary:

Krav Maga x2-3 times per week; 90 mins per session;
Weight training x2-3 times per week (home training implementing mainly KBs; Olympic rings);
Combat conditioning x2-3 times per week (again, home training using fight drills, heavy bag, etc).

Monday 23 Krav Maga; 90 mins

Fight drills: focus pads, kicking work
Knife defence: defending against the knife to throat scenario
Finisher: sparring x3 2min rounds

Tuesday 24 Weights; 16 mins; 250 kcals

A1) Kneeling pull-up (the rings are set so at full extension your knees just touch the floor; slower eccentric phase);
A2) G/H raise (emphasise eccentric; assisted concentric);
A3) Standard ring dips
As little rest as possible between movements; 1 min between circuits. Four circuits starting with 5 reps on A1 and A2 and 8 on A3.

B1) Ring row (body parallel, i.e. feet elevated);
B2) Ring wide push up (body parallel, i.e. feet elevated)
As little rest as possible between movements; 1 min between circuits. Two circuits. Aim for 10 reps per movement.

C1) Band pullapart
C2) Ring L sit
Bit of a finisher

Wed 25

Travelling with work until Thurs, so upon waking did a 45 min brisk walk followed by shadow boxing; bodyweight squats and some ab work prior to breakfast.

Wed 25 (cont)

My farewell evening with my employer meant a night with beer, burger, ribs and fries. However, I preceded the night with a cold bath x 10 mins. What a tester (what a wimp?). I was still shaking a good 25 mins afterwards. Hopefully torched some brown fat before my indulgence. Before you claim to be a hard bastard try this first!

Welcome JB, look forward to your KM w/o posts.

Thurs 26 Feb - Krav Maga 90 mins

General warm up

Fight drills (focus mitts) x 15 mins

General technique recap consisting of front stab attack; knife hold ups; front kick defence; jab/cross defence 60 mins

Finisher: challenge (Do first set, then partner does his, then do 2nd set, etc)
A) Krav Maga push up x 10, 9, 8, 7, etc
B) Burpee x as above
C) Crunch x as above

Post-session finisher:
Pullups 1 x 10, 1 x 8

Fri 27 Feb - did not train

Sat 28 Feb - Krav Maga (90 mins)

Fight drills 15 mins: using the focus mitts, these drills start off with simple punching combos, to which punches are added, as are knee and kicks.
A) Straight left/right combo x2
B) As above, plus duck/weave right/left x2
C) As above, plus right knee, left kick x2

Various knife defences, punch defences, kick defences.

Session cut 10 mins short after training partner punched me on the nose (by accident, I hope!). Damn thing bled for 2 hours. Thankfully not broken though.

Sun 1 March

AM - Home training: 21 mins (365 kcals)

A1) Ring floor pull-up x5
A2) G/H raise (assisted reps, i.e push up from bottome position; controlled negative x5
A3) Gironda style ring dips x8
1 min rest between circuits; x4 circuits

B1) Parallel ring row x8
B2) Double lunge using 20kg KBs x8
B3) Parallel ring push-up x6
1 min between circuits; x2 circuits

c) Ring face pulls 1 x 10; 1x8 1 min between sets

PM - conditioning work

1 min rounds of shadow boxing, heavy bag work for approx 12 mins

What I eat:

Upon waking:
Up to 1 litre of water with about tbsp of fresh lemon juice;
Supplements: green tea extract; carnitine

Breakfast:
Usually 3-egg omlette with leftover meat plus cottage cheese; small avocado
Supplements: multi-vit/min; 2500-5000IU vit D; 1g vit C; 1g fish oil; 1g evening primrose oil;

Lunch:
Usually lean meat with green/cruciferous veg; almonds/nut butter

Dinner:
As lunch
Supplements: 3-5g fish oil; 1g evening primrose oil; 1g vit C

Snacking:
Almonds; almond butter; hard cheese

Workout supplements:
Usually for Krav Maga a formula consisting of 10g BCAAs; 1.5g beta alanine; 2g citruline malate; 3g creatine; plus electrolytes. To this I’ve started adding between 40-80g of carbs, made up of maxy maize and/or palatinose.

Weight training: usually 20-25g of whey protein (isolate or hydrolised); again I’ve started adding the carbs as above.

Otherwise my diet is low carb for anything from 3-7 days. I try to stick to 3 meals a day and perhaps a snack. I don’t count calories. I try and source decent supplements at sale prices, so there is always powders lying around I can use. My coffee intake is higher than I’d like, which is a weakness for me. I also go through stages where I consume too many shitty protein bars. It’s no coincidence when I do I find it hard to drop weight, especially around the midrift. Those alcohol sugars are a bitch.

Mon 2 March - Krav Maga 90 mins

Warm up (ping pong between partner):
A) Defence against straight punch combo
B) Defence against groin kicks
c) Defence against hook punches

Fight drills (complete one interval (A-E) then change with partner; x2 rounds):
A) Left/right; left/right combo to pads
B) As above plus left uppercut
C) As above plus right roundhouse kick
D) As above plus left groin kick
E) As above plus defence against straight stab attack

Knife defence:
Defence against stab, slash, and knife hold ups (front and rear)

Sparring: x4 2-min rounds
A) Left punch only (if you miss partner throws next)
B) As above; different partner
C) As above; different partner
D) Mash up: all punches and kicks allowed; every man for himself

Some observations:

1. Sparring is always my favourite part. Having it at the end while fatigued is useful as it forces you to think more and generally be more defence-conscious.
  2. I have observed a weakness in some of my training partners who wear full face protection. The drawback of these guards is vision. I am not much of a kicker but enjoy a good success rate using the Thai left front kick to the stomach. Similarly, if you are confident enough to adopt a low left hand jab it can nail the target more often than not. Needless to say, that’s why I don’t wear full face guards!
  3. Exercising a 360o defence with a decent boxer is difficult/impossible. Traditional boxing defence methods are far more efficient. Some people claim this demonstrates the weakness of Krav Maga with its cultish adherence to its methods but, on closer examination, you will find a lot of its strikes and defences are taken straight from other disciplines, e.g. boxing and Muay Thai, to name two, and employed regularly without fuss.
  4. Despite having an average reach, my jab is probably my most effective strike and seems to attract most comment from training partners. I work hard on this, probably as a result of my early exposure to boxing. I think the jab philosophy works well in Krav Maga, where the first strike is often predicated on restoring the advantage to the defender to set up a counter-attack rather than looking to end a fight with a big hit.

EDIT: ordered some Tryptophan as getting to sleep at night has never been harder. I used to be able to drop off within 10-15 mins but now it’s an hour or more. The late night training sessions don’t help and I think the adrenaline and increased cortisol is the cause. Read a lot of positive stuff about Tryptophan so hopefully this will assist.

Tues 3 March: Home training

8 reps of the following using pair of 20kg KBs:
A1) Renegade row
A2) Double lunge
A3) Push up

Minimal rest between exercises; 1 min between sets x 2 circuits. Felt gassed. Don’t think I’ve recovered from yesterday.

B) Single KB clean and press 2 x 8
c) Bulgarian goblet split squat (20kg) 2 x 8

Some ab work. Total 13 mins; 265 kcals

Then did 5 mins total work on the heavy bag followed by 10 mins of stretching.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
Mon 2 March - Krav Maga 90 mins

Warm up (ping pong between partner):
A) Defence against straight punch combo
B) Defence against groin kicks
c) Defence against hook punches

Fight drills (complete one interval (A-E) then change with partner; x2 rounds):
A) Left/right; left/right combo to pads
B) As above plus left uppercut
C) As above plus right roundhouse kick
D) As above plus left groin kick
E) As above plus defence against straight stab attack

Knife defence:
Defence against stab, slash, and knife hold ups (front and rear)

Sparring: x4 2-min rounds
A) Left punch only (if you miss partner throws next)
B) As above; different partner
C) As above; different partner
D) Mash up: all punches and kicks allowed; every man for himself

Some observations:

1. Sparring is always my favourite part. Having it at the end while fatigued is useful as it forces you to think more and generally be more defence-conscious.
  2. I have observed a weakness in some of my training partners who wear full face protection. The drawback of these guards is vision. I am not much of a kicker but enjoy a good success rate using the Thai left front kick to the stomach. Similarly, if you are confident enough to adopt a low left hand jab it can nail the target more often than not. Needless to say, that’s why I don’t wear full face guards!
  3. Exercising a 360o defence with a decent boxer is difficult/impossible. Traditional boxing defence methods are far more efficient. Some people claim this demonstrates the weakness of Krav Maga with its cultish adherence to its methods but, on closer examination, you will find a lot of its strikes and defences are taken straight from other disciplines, e.g. boxing and Muay Thai, to name two, and employed regularly without fuss.
  4. Despite having an average reach, my jab is probably my most effective strike and seems to attract most comment from training partners. I work hard on this, probably as a result of my early exposure to boxing. I think the jab philosophy works well in Krav Maga, where the first strike is often predicated on restoring the advantage to the defender to set up a counter-attack rather than looking to end a fight with a big hit.

EDIT: ordered some Tryptophan as getting to sleep at night has never been harder. I used to be able to drop off within 10-15 mins but now it’s an hour or more. The late night training sessions don’t help and I think the adrenaline and increased cortisol is the cause. Read a lot of positive stuff about Tryptophan so hopefully this will assist.[/quote]

IMO unless someone has a legitimate reason (like they are in danger of a detached retina, they have a broken nose that they are allowing to heal, etc…) then they should not be wearing a full face headgear (assuming you mean the type with cages or visors which prevent the face from being hit). Boxing/kickboxing headgear is sufficient as it absorbs some of the shock of the blows but also allows you to be hit in the face (which is an important experience to have had should you ever find yourself in a real fight).

The defensive maneuvers found in boxing have been specifically developed to deal with the punches found in boxing, so of course they are going to work better than a general defense like KM’s 360 defense which is more geared towards an unskilled haymaker type of punch. I don’t think it’s really a matter of one being “better” than the other but rather knowing when to apply which.

The jab is the most important punch in all of fighting, if you get good at it everything else will get easier.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

IMO unless someone has a legitimate reason (like they are in danger of a detached retina, they have a broken nose that they are allowing to heal, etc…) then they should not be wearing a full face headgear (assuming you mean the type with cages or visors which prevent the face from being hit). Boxing/kickboxing headgear is sufficient as it absorbs some of the shock of the blows but also allows you to be hit in the face (which is an important experience to have had should you ever find yourself in a real fight).

The defensive maneuvers found in boxing have been specifically developed to deal with the punches found in boxing, so of course they are going to work better than a general defense like KM’s 360 defense which is more geared towards an unskilled haymaker type of punch. I don’t think it’s really a matter of one being “better” than the other but rather knowing when to apply which.

The jab is the most important punch in all of fighting, if you get good at it everything else will get easier.[/quote]

Can’t disagree with any of that.

Wed 4 March - Home Training 28 mins

A1) Shadow boxing x 1 min
A2) Side kicks to heavy bag x 1 min
A3) Heavy bag x 1 min
A4) Thai front kicks to heavy bag x 1 min
x 4 circuits; minimal rest between

B) Bag drills (mixed combos, punches, kicks) x 2 min
x 2 intervals

7 mins stretching. Good sweaty session

Thurs 5 March - Krav Maga 90 mins

Not much of a session tonight, which was disappointing, due to upcoming grading (which I’m not going for).

Afterwards I did pull-ups with colleagues x 5; 4; 3; 2; 1 with 30s static hold on last rep. Minimum rest between sets. Then did 8 mins on the bags, punch combos and kicks.

Fri 6 March

Tried Tryptophan for the first time last night and I did fall asleep faster than usual. This was despite taking it on a full stomach, as KM evening sessions ensures it’s around 9.45pm before I’m eating dinner. Too early to say if its effective but certainly will use when training late in the day. I did wake very early, though, and tossed and turned a bit trying to get back to sleep. Promising supplement.

PM Home Training - 22 mins 465 kcals

A1) Wide ring pull-ups
A2) Negative glute/ham raises
A3) Steep incline push ups
5 x 5; minimum rest between exercises; 1 min between circuits

B1) Ring row 2 x 10
B2) Double 20kg KB lunge 2 x 8
B3) Ring dips 1x 6; 1 x 5

Face pulls, pullaparts to finish

looking good,thats kinda late to eat. I always used to eat just carbs and not a lot then go to bed when training that late.

[quote]Dude623 wrote:
looking good,thats kinda late to eat. I always used to eat just carbs and not a lot then go to bed when training that late.[/quote]

I know what you mean. It’s not ideal but some classes don’t start until 8pm, which is necessary given people’s work commitments in and around London.

I am trying to be more instinctive and if I don’t feel too hungry then I won’t stuff myself for the sake of it, which is tempting as I am now sticking to 3 meals per day plus workout nutrition.

Sat 7 March - Krav Maga 90 mins

General warm up: shadow fighting x 10 mins

Quick cardio burst
A) Burpees x 10
B) Squats x 10
C) Crunches x 10
D) Push ups x 10
No rest between each exercise

Various knife defences:
Knife to throat from front attack (standard and cross slash)
Oriental stab hold up
Knife to side hold up

Class ended 5 mins early so training partner and I did some boxing sparring for 5 mins. I noted I had hardly use my right hand for the first few minutes. I think an over-cautious approach leads to simple jab defence and it becomes ambitious to throw anything else. When I noticed this, I made efforts to throw more combinations and caught my opponent with a nice right uppercut. His best punch was a right hook I didnt see; otherwise tight defence. In future, I am going to try some pre-planned combinations, e.g. pat jab x 2, jab, right uppercut, left hook.

Sat 7 March - Krav Maga 90 mins

General warm up: shadow fighting x 10 mins

Quick cardio burst
A) Burpees x 10
B) Squats x 10
C) Crunches x 10
D) Push ups x 10
No rest between each exercise

Various knife defences:
Knife to throat from front attack (standard and cross slash)
Oriental stab hold up
Knife to side hold up

Class ended 5 mins early so training partner and I did some boxing sparring for 5 mins. I noted I had hardly use my right hand for the first few minutes. I think an over-cautious approach leads to simple jab defence and it becomes ambitious to throw anything else. When I noticed this, I made efforts to throw more combinations and caught my opponent with a nice right uppercut. His best punch was a right hook I didnt see; otherwise tight defence. In future, I am going to try some pre-planned combinations, e.g. pat jab x 2, jab, right uppercut, left hook.[/quote]

I have my style that is pretty much in and out with a heavy jab for the first bit. Then I base my offensive combinations on there movement patterns, " use the right tool for the job" Sounds like you got some good experience out of the sparring. Sparring (Boxing) is a good thing in so many ways, you continue to learn and evolve as a fighter throughout your entire life.
I know what you mean about training late, applaud your determination to get it done.

[quote]Dude623 wrote:

I have my style that is pretty much in and out with a heavy jab for the first bit. Then I base my offensive combinations on there movement patterns, " use the right tool for the job" Sounds like you got some good experience out of the sparring. Sparring (Boxing) is a good thing in so many ways, you continue to learn and evolve as a fighter throughout your entire life.
I know what you mean about training late, applaud your determination to get it done.[/quote]

Cheers matey. For inexperienced fighters like me, we are jab-dependent. I notice it’s jab, jab, jab always looking for a right cross, but it rarely gets any more complex than that. Trying to get off a 4 or 5 punch combo is pretty difficult at my level but, as you point out, it’s the practise that gets you to that level.

Sun 8 March - Home training 38 mins

A1) Renegade row
A2) Double lunge
A3) Push up
3 x 8, using pair of 20kg KBs. Minimum rest between exercises; 1 min between circuits

B1) Alternating single clean and press
B2) Goblet Bulgarian split squat
2 x 8, as above

C) 45kg low sledge push x 3 intervals (not measured the distance in my basement but an interval is x 3 across the length and back); 30 secs between intervals. Max BPM 89%.

About 5 mins break to set up heavy bag.

D) Heavy bag: anything goes 3 x 2 min rounds; minimum rest between rounds.

10 mins stretching