T Nation

JB Article & Questions

I’ve been looking through JB’s articles but can’t find what I’m looking for. In one of his article he mentioned not to eat fat w/ carbs, but to eat P+C or P+F. My wife has been following the South Beach diet and it says the opposite. It says to eat fat with carbs. It even goes on to say that your better off eating a french fry than a baked potatoe. I’d have to get the bood to see why again but it sounds crazy to me. I’m following JB’s program, but my wife is following South Beech. I want to get her to switch to JB’s, but this is one of the questions she had.

Another question is about flax oil and fish oil. My wife and I are now taking fish oil. I’m up to 6 caps a day. I’ve read a lot of the artilces about the two, but still don’t understand if I should be taking both flax and fish oil. Is taking fish oil enough?

• Larry

[quote]LarryJr wrote:
I’ve been looking through JB’s articles but can’t find what I’m looking for. In one of his article he mentioned not to eat fat w/ carbs, but to eat P+C or P+F. My wife has been following the South Beach diet and it says the opposite. It says to eat fat with carbs. It even goes on to say that your better off eating a french fry than a baked potatoe. I’d have to get the bood to see why again but it sounds crazy to me. I’m following JB’s program, but my wife is following South Beech. I want to get her to switch to JB’s, but this is one of the questions she had.

Another question is about flax oil and fish oil. My wife and I are now taking fish oil. I’m up to 6 caps a day. I’ve read a lot of the artilces about the two, but still don’t understand if I should be taking both flax and fish oil. Is taking fish oil enough?

• Larry[/quote]

I believe that stuff is discussed in Massive Eating I and Massive Eating I Reloaded. The whole jist of it is nutient timing and there is a book out there by John Ivy of which JB’s articles speak on as well. In fact JB has a few pages in this book.

So the South Beach advocates F+C meals?? Huh…I would like to hear the explanation for that. Also, I’m sure those trans fats in the french fries are MUCH better for you than a baked potato! HA!!

Regarding the fish oil question, I would do a seach as this has been discussed many times and if you’re lucky Tampa-Terry might chime in as she is the fish oil queen. I personally take 2 tbsp’s of Udo’s Choice which gives me 20g Poly,6g mono, 13g Omega-3, 6.5g Omega-6 and 6g Omega-9. Also, I think Phill has a lot of knowledge in this area as well…

Gotta go.

Ashcy

When my wife gets home I’ll have her show me in the South Beach book and I’ll tell you exactly what it says. I’ll have to look at Massive Eating again. I thought he told you not to eat C+F but didn’t really say why. I may have missed it.

As far as the oils, I’ve searched but still not understanding if I need both. Must be the ADD :slight_smile:

[quote]LarryJr wrote:
When my wife gets home I’ll have her show me in the South Beach book and I’ll tell you exactly what it says. I’ll have to look at Massive Eating again. I thought he told you not to eat C+F but didn’t really say why. I may have missed it.

As far as the oils, I’ve searched but still not understanding if I need both. Must be the ADD :)[/quote]

Whoops. It is actually Massive Eating II (and Reloaded) and NOT the first version. JB does a good job of explaining it but basically comes down to utilizing insulin at the best times, fat burning and the thermic effect of feeding.

Does the fish oil and the flax have the same ingredients?? How much of each??

Well first you have to make sure what type of fish oil you are taking.

If anyone is vegan or vegetarian (which I doubt anyone on this site is) flax is the best way to go.

Flax is made up of: flax, sunflower, sesame, coconut, evening primrose, soy lectinin etc.
It usually has an overall equal balance of omega 3,6 and 9

However a good fish oil should be made of mackeral, anchovy and sardine as the aforementioned are the most omega 3 rich fishes.

A typical North American diet is already made up of lots of omega 6(eggs any meat or poultry) and you really do not need to supplement it in. What we are usually really deficient of is omega 3. That should be the only one you need to supplement in.

And just in case you are wondering about the 0mega 9. If your body is getting lots of omega 3 and 6 your body will actually manufacture the omega 9 on its own.

I’m taking the Spring Valley Enteric Coated Fish Oil from Wallmart. Each softgel has:

Natural Fish Oil Concentrate: 1000mg
EPA 180mg
DHA 120mg