JB and Others: Diet Recommendations

I’m still on that quest to not only make sure that I’m giving beginners correct advice, but that my own thinking is correct. (Thanks for all the advice on beginning workouts, guys!)Here is what I’m recommending:

1)Read “The Diet Manifesto.”

2)“Baseline” Diet: Follow the “Don’t Diet” principles of macronutrient combinations in concert with your accepted macro ratios and protein amounts. (In terms of grams/pound).

3)“Mass” Diet: “Massive Eating” (with macro combining principles).

4)“Fat Loss/Mass Preservation”: “T-Dawg”

5)“Rapid Fat Loss”: “Fat Fast”

That's about it. I would really like for you guys to tear apart these recommendations and let me know if there is anything you would add, ESPECIALLY for the beginner. (I sort of envy the guys who are able to get started on the right track with "Testosterone")!

I still think that Massive Eating and Don’t Diet principles are neat, but in the long run and for already experienced lifters. If you put a newbie who has to lose like 20 or 30 lbs of fat on Don’t Diet diet, he will achieve his goals in a year or so and probably lose motivation in the meantime. I’d rather recommend something that gives results at least in medium-term run like cutting carbs to 100-150 g range and keeping protein at 3+ g/kg and adding a bit of healthy fats. If a newbie has to gain weight - Massive Eating is just fine, but I guess that more newbies have to lose the flab and not bulk up…

One thing I would like to add to the Don’t Diet that JMB doesn’t really emphasize a lot (though he revealed in this here forum that he sticks religiously to it) it the glycemic index of the carb source. Low fat carb-protein combos don’t mean a thing (as far as in my case) if the carb source is high GI. I can lose weight pretty quickly if I stick to low GI carbs like beans, lentils and pearled barley. Even oatmeal is high GI compared to these foods. In fact, if you keep the GI low enough, you’ll have trouble eating enough food! One more thing about GI. Don’t ASSUME (it make an ASS of U and ME) anything. Published GI chart has many surprises as to which foods are high GI and which are low.

Just to claify. I am not reccomending ALL of these diets to beginners; the “basline” diet is for that. I really think that even the beginner is served well by close attention to diet detail. As they become more experienced (as Chris mentioned once), they will gain a good “feel” for their diet and not have to do as much measuring, etc. I list these diets as the main ones we should have in our total “arsenal” of possible diets.

The best fundamentals I read are (1) keep 1-2 grams per pound protein (2) cut maintenance calories by 10 - 15% (3) have 15% cals as good fat for appetite and hormone (4) adjust calories each week to lose 1-2 pounds (any more means major muscle loss).