T Nation

JB and All: Low-Carb=Lies?

HI everyone, i’ve read the e-book written by Nelson Montana,the bodybuilding truth", inside it, Nelson said those low-carb diet,eg. ketogenic diet,anabolic diet,bodyopus…etc. are not working…

anybody agree with this?

i hope J.B.,L.L.,and everyone give some comment on this topic. thanks.

(BTW, i’m doing Ultimate Diet 2.0now, part of it is low-carb,with carb-up days)

Could you summarize what Nelson Monatana argues in a little more detail?

summary:

using ketons for energy lead to:

• tremendous metabolic stress
  • low blood sugar levels
  • strain on kidneys
  • dizziness & disorientation
  • food choices too limiting
  • constipation
  • energy levels plummet
  • extremely catabolic(due to absence of carbs)

he also attack the writer, Lyle McDonald, of Ultimate Diet 2.0, said Lyle was once try to use ketogenic diet
to get the best shape of his life, but hardly any change.

he said the low-carb diet may be success only because the limiting of food choice will lead to eating less,
so the calories intake is lower than output.

i want to know some other Dr’s opinion on this topic because if low-carb or carb-cycling diet(e.g.UD 2.0)is not going to help me lose fat. then i’ll not follow it anymore.

also, anyone have Lyle McDonald’s picture can post so i can see how he looks?

If you read JB and Lonnie’s articles and posts you will see they don’t tell anyone to do the no carb thing. Lo carb is a relative term… They suggest healthy and controlled carbs.

Very low carb diets will help you lose alot of weight and very quick normally. If your not lifting heavy the potential to lose alot of muscle is there as well.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
If you read JB and Lonnie’s articles and posts you will see they don’t tell anyone to do the no carb thing. Lo carb is a relative term… They suggest healthy and controlled carbs.

Very low carb diets will help you lose alot of weight and very quick normally. If your not lifting heavy the potential to lose alot of muscle is there as well. [/quote]

i do train heavy. that’s not a problem.
the reason i raise this topic is Nelson Montana doesn’t provide any sicentific support about why low-carb diet don’t work. so i want some Dr here tell some scientific things…no matter it’s supporting or opposing the low-carb idea…

[quote]Todd S. wrote:

Very low carb diets will help you lose alot of weight and very quick normally. If your not lifting heavy the potential to lose alot of muscle is there as well. [/quote]

Exactly, and JB suggests many fruits and vegetables from where you will receive your carbs. I have a feeling this author is attacking the Atkins mentality which is high sat. fat/ high protein, such as bacon, pork, cheese and no fruits and vegetables. Big difference between low carb healthy, low carb non-healthy and no carb.

[quote]Monster Wong wrote:
Todd S. wrote:

Very low carb diets will help you lose alot of weight and very quick normally. If your not lifting heavy the potential to lose alot of muscle is there as well.

i do train heavy. that’s not a problem.
the reason i raise this topic is Nelson Montana doesn’t provide any sicentific support about why low-carb diet don’t work. so i want some Dr here tell some scientific things…no matter it’s supporting or opposing the low-carb idea…
[/quote]

so he just says you won’t lose weight? I know for a fact that is not true, I’ve known several people who lost alot of weight by eating little to no carbs. The question is whether they keep it off when they go back to eating like crap again.

Well, I can tell you that it worked for me but if you’d like a more educated opinion, CT used UD 2.0 and said it worked very well.

BTW, Mauro DiPasquele has his own low-carb diet and he is an M.D. afterall.

Read some more of JB’s older articles. He never once reccomends a low-carb diet. He actually put his pre-contest prep diet up once I believe (or something like it) and while he did cut down carbs; the grams of CO’s per day were still in the hundreds.

I don’t think JB would neglect to follow his own 7 healthy habits (which include carbs).

You just have to remember with carbs that you need to base them on your activities (e.g. working heavy need some higher GI carbs and some high GI carbs during exercise and low GI carbs the rest of the day).

Nelson Montana never relies on pesky facts or science to come to his “unique” conclusions. It seems that he always needs to come up with a controversy to sell books and articles.

When I was very overweight I did the low carb thing.

It worked liked a charm. I also ate tons of meat, cheese, pork rinds and all kinds of low carb shit. I still lost weight and had good blood counts. However, if you screw up and add carbs to such a fatty diet, you are going to be in trouble.

I think there are limits as to what it can achieve for you and that there are indeed risks associated with low carb’ing, but you can address those.

I don’t believe low carb’ing will be the best way to achieve long term goals including serious muscular development, but for the general population looking to lose some fat, if they are followed properly low carb diets can certainly work and be done safely.

vroom, you were a former fattie also? i’m from that camp as well…

anyway, i’m currenlty going thru a diet cycle and using some carb up / carb down protocols and have found it incredibly effective for my particular situation.

have also had a friend follow ud2 and he had some great success.

lyle seems to have a lot of data to backup his programs, and my advice would be to try a couple different approaches to see what works best for you.

good luck.

Master Wong, I just got the UD 2.0 as well. I’ll be starting it in a few weeks after I finish the program I’m on. Please keep us updated as to your results.

Rolo.

It’s quite brazen to come out and make a blanket statement that low CHO diets don’t work. In fact, it’s pretty lame. Are you sure he came out and said that? Or was he specifically referring to ZERO CHO diets?

If I wrote a book saying that decreased Calorie diets don’t “work” because they make you hungry and are catabolic, would you guys buy it? Ju$t curiou$.

I used the UD 2.0 early this summer for three weeks. Even given this short amount of time, I would hand’s down qualify it as the most productive diet I’ve followed for decreasing BF while maintaining (or increasing) LBM. And I’ve done several variations of low-carb diets.

During those three weeks, I lost four lbs total body weight. Of that, I lost six lbs of BF while gaining 2 lbs of LBM.

Once you’ve figured out the diet, you can tweak BF loss against LBM loss (or gain.)

I just went to a lecture by Walter Willett, who is the chair of the Dept of Nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health, and he just hinted that he did not eat bread.

He’s certainly not a bodybuilder or fad dieter or quack. He’s one of the most highly respected (if not the most highly respcted) doctors in the field. (He does have a huge scary mustache, though)

When someone like that, who is that respected and mainstream, says something as radical as they do not eat bread, even if they just hint at it, that makes me take notice.

Fun tidbit I got from that lecture: you get a bigger rise in blood sugar from eating a baked potato than you do from eating pure table sugar.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=658379

Take a look at this thread and decide if low carb is bad for you. One of the most popular threads here on T-Nation.

D

Nelson Montana said what he think about low-carb diet(not NO carb),he think these diet work may be because of water lost, and those limiting food choice will lead to eating less, so calorie input is lower than output, that should lead to fat loss.

i’m using UD 2.0 now, just start. but i’m experiencing it a bit(carb intake). also the training is modified myself. may be if i can improve my body i’ll post my pic again.

Nelson is no expert here by any means. He couldn’t buff Dr. Mauro DiPasquale’s shoes even on his best day. I’ve got both of Nelson’s pamphlets and feel that although he had some interesting stuff, he is dogmatic and self absorbed. It’s OK to be somewhat dogmatic if you have some real education/knowledge, NM really has some myopia. I’ll end by saying this: The Anabolic Diet by DiPasquale took me at 170lbs and got me to over 240 with 20" arms. Previously, going low fat had gotten me nothing but frustrated.

Doc DiPas, Vince Gironda, Rheo Blair, Jay Robb, Dan Duchaine, Will Brink, Barry Sears, Rob Faigin (You MUST get his book “Natural Hormonal Enhancement”), Beverly International, Dan John, and many others advocate a reduced and/or low carb diet punctuated with timed CHO intake for maximum anabolism. It’s time tested and proven. Nelson is too busy calculating his IQ to notice, I guess. If you have NM’s book, you’ll enjoy that last line. :wink:

DH

HI everyone, i’ve read the e-book written by Nelson Montana,the bodybuilding truth", inside it, Nelson said those low-carb diet,eg. ketogenic diet,anabolic diet,bodyopus…etc. are not working…

anybody agree with this?

(BTW, i’m doing Ultimate Diet 2.0now, part of it is low-carb,with carb-up days)[/quote]

anybody agree with this?

(BTW, i’m doing Ultimate Diet 2.0now, part of it is low-carb,with carb-up days)[/quote]

Hi Monster,

A low carb diet took me from 260lbs at 30% body fat to 200lbs at 12% in about 8 months. A different low carb diet took me from 200lbs at 12% to 240lbs at 15% body fat in the last 12 months.

Go to one of the many V-Diet threads and look at peoples experiences with that. There are also about 1100 posts on the anabolic Diet thread. Check them out to.

They might not work for everyone, but nothing does.