Jayteebee's Training Log

You plan for an entire year? Do you get very specific/granular with your programming or do you set general monthly/quarterly goals?

Specific. I leave room to move on assistance, but I know broadly what it’ll be on each day. I also know what main lift I’ll train when, and what the load is likely to be. At this stage I have a fair idea of what I need to do so it’s easy enough to block plan out.

Today’s workout:
Front squat: 5x5 @ 45 lbs
Pull-ups: 5x5, modified

Was planning on doing cardio this morning; I only had about 20-30 minutes, but I wanted to see how I was doing with front squats and pull-ups. I haven’t done front squats in a while; 45 lbs felt very good. I’ve never done an actual pull-up in my life, and figured I should start working on that goal. I basically did ring rows. I think I am going to add them to my normal workouts.

I’m still percolating a new training plan. Until then I’m going to continue with my normal 5x5. I understand there will be some trial and error here, but I’m looking forward to mixing it up a bit.

Have a look at 5/3/1. Very adaptable, very effective.

1 Like

I did some research on it last night and I think I’m definitely going to try it out.

Today’s workout:
Squats: 5x5 @ 70-75% (115 lbs)
Bench: 3x5 @ 85% (85 lbs), 2x5 @ 75% (75 lbs)
Pull-ups: 5x5, modified
Leg extensions: ORM 95 lbs

So I’ve decided to do my programming by %ORM rather than looking at weight alone. I’m looking into different rep schemes and programs (like 5/3/1) and want to get used to doing math and understanding my ranges.

Squats at 115 lbs felt good and solid, and still quite a workout.

The 85 lbs on the bench press wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t impossible. I only did 3 sets because I ended up with bad pain in my right shoulder that didn’t go away after stretching and mobilizing. I need to keep an eye on that.

I did modified pull-ups instead of barbell rows because, well, pull-ups are my goal and I think they more or less work the same muscles (lats).

The leg extensions are new. Last week my knee gave out while I was standing, so I made an appointment with my ortho guy. In 2015 I was diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome, which means my patella is pulled distally. It’s an anatomical thing. I did some PT for a while to strengthen some muscles and relax others, and I stopped having pain. I’ve been using a knee sleeve whenever squatting, but clearly something went wrong last week. Well, it looks like my patella is still being a little bitch.

I don’t need surgery or anything (yet) and the doctor has encouraged me to keep doing what I’m doing, but to add exercises that will strengthen my medial quadricep (vastus medialis), so leg extensions it is. I’m rotating my feet out while doing them so that it’s targeting that side of the muscle.

I do feel a little weird venturing into the machine side of the gym. Like my lifting cred took a hit.

1 Like

If your knee is up to it split squats will probably work very well. All I ever really get out of leg extensions is sore knees.

Today’s workout:
Squats: 5x5 @ 70-75% (115 lbs)
OHP: ORM 75 lbs
Deadlift: 5 @ 135 lbs, 5 @ 150 lbs
Leg extension: 3x5 @ 50 lbs
Pull-ups: 3x5 modified, assisted: 40 lbs

1 Like

Yesterday’s workout:
5/3/1 Week 1 Workout 1
Overhead Press: 3x5 @ 65%/75%/85% [45 lbs, 55 lbs, 65 lbs]
Dips: 5x10 assisted (machine, 60 lbs)
Chin-ups: 5x10 assisted (ring rows, palms facing)

Per @MarkKO’s suggestion, I looked into a 5/3/1 program and decided to give it a shot.

I’m not quite able to do everything he suggests in his workout, but as being able to do dips, chin-ups, pull-ups, etc are super useful, I’m more than happy to add them to my rotation.

It felt weird to not squat at all during a workout; the 5x5 program I was following had squats at every session. In fact, the entire session was less than 40 minutes and I felt like I hadn’t actually worked out. I did an hour of Krav Maga later in the day and life balanced out.

My diet was absolute trash yesterday after a disastrous food weekend. Back on the horse this morning.

Nice! Don’t forget to push the plus set for a rep PR. That’s one of the best parts.

On the OHP I was lucky to even get 5.
:joy:

Today’s Workout:
5/3/1 Week 1 Workout 2
Deadlift: 3x5 @ 65%/75%/85% [120 lbs, 140 lbs, 160 lbs]
Good mornings: 5x12 @ 30 lbs
Leg lifts: 5x10 captain’s chair

Deadlifts were haaaaaaaard. Good mornings were easy. I’ve never done them with actual weight (usually with PVC pipe for warm-up) so I went light on purpose. Next time I’ll try 40 lbs. Leg lifts were supposed to be while hanging from the bar, but my grip strength isn’t quite where it needs to be for sets of 10 that way. I’ll get there.

I’ve started logging my calories. I need to be accountable for my diet if I’m going to make any strides. I’ve been laaaaazy in the last two weeks or so, and I need to get back on track.

Yesterday:
Calories (P/C/F) In: 1247 (74/188/26)
Calories out: 1885

For calories in, I was purposely restricting yesterday since a) I didn’t workout and b) I needed a re-set. For calories out I use a FitBit Blaze (with heart monitor) to calculate calories out. I know it’s not perfect.

And remember, I am a 5’3" woman… my BMR is calculated to be around 1500 calories.

And yes, I secretly hate every one of you that posts about your 3000/day calorie diets. I know you’re working for those calories and they’re tailored to your goals, but the only thing I like more than food is being petty.

1 Like

Nice job on starting 5/3/1. Great program. Did you calculate your TMs using 85 or 90% of your 1RM?

If you are having a tough time hitting your top set of 5 in week 1 you may be working with your TMs a little too high. You can run it for a full cycle to see, but if my week 1 top set was near max effort I know that the following two weeks are going to be grinders, which is ill-advised for this program.

This isn’t a huge issue though on your first feel through the program, but just something to keep in mind! @MarkKO probably has some better suggestions to this aspect as I’m not as consistent with my training, and am sometimes bad at following my own advice…

2 Likes

I know it’s supposed to be off of 90% of your 1RM, but I used my actual 1RM and then rounded down to the nearest 5 lbs. I don’t lift very heavy, so I thought it would be ok.

I think with deadlifts I am definitely going to re-calculate the weight.

I feel like ANY amount I’m lifting will still be good for me, but I did want to get a feel for the program as written.

No maybe about it. I’d suggest resetting your TM to your week one top set weight across all your lifts. You’ll probably stall before the first cycle is over otherwise.

That sounds about right. You’re very active though, so even 2000-2300 cal/day or so would most likely still work very well.

For maintenance, yes. Which is why I don’t fret if I end up in that range, but on a non-workout day I like to be between 1200 and 1500, and on a workout day I try to be at least 200 under what I’m burning.

So this article popped up today on my news feed:

So let’s take stock:
1 – Bench Your Bodyweight - nope
2 – Deadlift Double Your Bodyweight - hell nope
3 – Hold a Two-Minute Plank - I have in the past but I haven’t done it lately.
4 – Sleep With Only One Pillow - yup
5 – Sit on Floor Without Using Hands, Knees, or Shins - yup, I can get up without using my hands too
6 – Balance on One Foot for 10 Seconds - yup yup
7 – Hang for 30 Seconds, Pull-Up - hang, yes, pull-up no
8 – Long Jump Your Height - hahah what? (that’s a no)
9 – 30-Second Bodyweight Squat and Hold - yup
10 – Farmers Walk Your Bodyweight - I have never tried this, but given my deadlifting numbers, I think no.

The good news is that 3 of these (the bench, deadlift, and pull-up) are things I am actively working toward.

Can normal people really long jump their height? Can you have a running start? Or is it more like a broad jump?

Yesterday:
Calories (P/C/F) In: 1774 (109/212/64)
Calories out: 2605

Ok so this calorie deficit was not entirely on purpose. Because my FitBit tracks calories in real time, after Krav Maga last night I was at just under 2100 and didn’t take into account the rest of the night I still had in front of me (grocery shopping and some chores before bed). I’m not terribly concerned because I have a lunch at work today and I will likely make up those calories.

Yesterday
Calories (P/C/F) In: 1978 (125/220/55)
Calories out: 2312

Didn’t go to lunch yesterday, but it was date night, so I had some scotch before dinner and some getalo for dessert. Took a 1.5-mile walk in the afternoon which apparently burns more calories than I gave it credit for.

And before any of you think I’m really great with my food intake, I find myself purposely not grabbing little snacks during the day because they’d be annoying to log. I’m probably going to lose some weight out of sheer laziness.

Today’s workout
5/3/1 Week 1 Workout 3
Bench: 3x5 @ 65%/75%/85% [65 lbs, 75 lbs, 85 lbs] +2
BB rows: 4x10 @ 50 lbs

Had exactly 25 minutes this morning due to a sick child, so I finished up the main lift and got as much accessory work in as I could. Benches felt good, was actually able to do 2 extra reps at the end of my last set. Might have done more if I had a spot.

I’ve noticed that since switching to the 5/3/1 program I am SORE. I haven’t been sore after lifting in a while. I think it’s due to the accessory work. I’m working all those little muscles I forgot were there and don’t normally get so much isolated attention. It feels great.

1 Like

Yesterday
Calories (P/C/F) In: 1204 (48/155/30)
Calories out: 1833

I was sick last night. Fever and body aches. I woke up around 10 pm and the fever had broken, so I had a banana and watered down apple juice. Did not work out this morning, figured I probably shouldn’t push it.