T Nation

Jaws Replaces Theismann on MNF

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/26/bc.fbn.mondaynightfootb.ap/index.html

I, for one, am excited. I think Jaws is probably the best studio analyst there is and his ability to break down plays for the viewer is second to none.

I’ve always loved NFL Matchup and wondered why Jaws was never given a shot. Well here it is. And even if he doesn’t live up to his MFL Matchup image, he’s still a huge step up from Theismann.

My only concern is that he has sort of a wacky and corny side and I hope that part doesn’t push Kornheiser too far into his silliness and jokes. If Tirico can keep them all on track, I think this can be a great crew.

I agree with all the points you made. I’ve always been a huge fan of Jaws (probably because he used to play for the Eagles) and he did a great job when given the opportunity.

A lot of times it boils down to chemistry though, it was obvious that Theismann and Kornheiser didn’t have it, we’ll see if this crew does.

I like Jaws a lot. I got to play in a charity golf event with him a few years back. Fun guy, real gentleman and a pretty good golfer. I’m looking forward to seeing him on the show.

I seriously think Theismann has depression issues after listening to the way he talked on Mike and Mike one day. I don’t know if anyone else catches it, but it’s pretty clear to me he should talk to someone.

Theismann tended to ‘cut down’ Kornheiser too often in my opinion, and I agree that Jaws is very good. I always held the opinion that NFL Matchup was the only good football show on ESPN, so I hope they do well.

Yeah, I just hope Jaws still has time for NFL Matchup.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Yeah, I just hope Jaws still has time for NFL Matchup.

[/quote]

On sportscenter they said he will still be doing NFL matchup

Jaws is a good addition, but they should’ve gotten rid of cornheiser.

I think it’s obvious to anyone who watched last season that cornhole and theisman didn’t get along too well, so this was inevitable.

Cornheiser might be good on PTI, where he’s had time to think about his questions and read the news and watch the games, and sit back and reflect; but when it comes to live football, he is atrocious.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
Jaws is a good addition, but they should’ve gotten rid of cornheiser.

I think it’s obvious to anyone who watched last season that cornhole and theisman didn’t get along too well, so this was inevitable.

Cornheiser might be good on PTI, where he’s had time to think about his questions and read the news and watch the games, and sit back and reflect; but when it comes to live football, he is atrocious. [/quote]

Yeah I agree. I love TK on PTI, but for football he is not too good. I was watching PTI the other day and he said he got real nervous before he went on air every game for MNF. I know that he doesn’t fly because he is scared to fly, so I don’t know if it’s an anxiety issue or what, I’m not sure.

As with the previous posters, I think Jaws is the best NFL analyst on ESPN, I know he’ll do good.

Big improvement for MNF!

for a few brief seconds there, I had hopes that MNF had decided to include a giant, man eating shark in their broadcast team. I was thrilled. I suppose this jaws is good too though.

I agree with getting rid of Kornheiser. I didn’t have anything against Theismann, but I’m not against Jaws either. Kornheiser is an loud mouth, not funny…he just makes me want to turn the sound down. Hopefully we’ll get rid of the celebs dropping by the booth to schill there latest glop also. Let Jaws break down the defenses for us instead. Infinitely better football.

Agree with everyone so far that Jaws is a big improvement for MNF. I also agree that Kornheiser is awful on MNF but I love him on PTI. He should just stick with that.

As much as I hate Theismann, I think he should have stayed and that should have got rid of Kornheiser.

[quote]dre wrote:
Agree with everyone so far that Jaws is a big improvement for MNF. I also agree that Kornheiser is awful on MNF but I love him on PTI. He should just stick with that.

As much as I hate Theismann, I think he should have stayed and that should have got rid of Kornheiser. [/quote]

I agree, I think that Theismann and Jaws would be great TV, but being that I am really tired of seeing Tony Kornholer and his combover on the big screen, this is not a good move.

In todays TV, people have the ability to see so much more football than they could 30 years ago when MNF first came on the air, which I happen to remember, and todays MNF is getting to be lame, at best, and maybe it would be best if the producer`s of the show, went to a rotation of guest speakers every week, to keep things fresh, and at the end of the season, take a poll to see which speakers the fans liked the most, and possibly use them more frequently the next season, but still keep the rotation format!?

Jaws?

They already screwed up when they took Mike Patrick off. Tirico’s call is boring and he needs to go back to thurs night college games.TK is completely annoying. The team should be Mike Patrick, Theisman and Jaws. Then they should move they score thing back to the upper left hand corner like everyone else. I always have to hunt around for shit on MNF and half the time its annoying to hear. Sunday night football was way better.

[quote]Bigpull wrote:
They already screwed up when they took Mike Patrick off. Tirico’s call is boring and he needs to go back to thurs night college games.TK is completely annoying. The team should be Mike Patrick, Theisman and Jaws. Then they should move they score thing back to the upper left hand corner like everyone else. I always have to hunt around for shit on MNF and half the time its annoying to hear. Sunday night football was way better.[/quote]

LOL, for some reason Tirico handling just the Thurs night college games (and golf) is much better.

I was very impressed with Dick Vermeil in the booth when it was him, Jaws and someone else in the 2nd half of that MNF doubleheader in Week 1 of last season. (they covered the SD at OAK nightcap)