T Nation

Jason Ferruggia's Programs

Has anyone read or trained from a Jason Ferruggia program? What are your thoughts on it? How were your results. The general consensus around here is that particular style of training is inadequate for bodybuilding goals.

[quote]Animal_Mother wrote:
Has anyone read or trained from a Jason Ferruggia program? What are your thoughts on it? How were your results.[/quote]
I haven’t followed any of his plans straight through, but I’ve experimented with some of his programs and techniques from his Muscle Building Secrets.

It’s lots of work on the big basic lifts, especially going heavier in the 5-8 rep range. Good stuff to lay the foundation for strength and growth.

That’s the consensus? He generally uses lower workout volume than many T-Nation programs, but I’d hardly call his style “inadequate.”

[i]Dorian Yates- One of the biggest and most successful bodybuilders of all time. 1-2 sets per exercise, 10-12 sets per workout.

Skip LaCour- The biggest, strongest and most famous drug free bodybuilder of all time. Like Yates, LaCour only does 1-2 sets per exercise of a few different exercises, and that’s it. He stresses the importance of lifting heavy and keeping your training volume low as the most important thing you can do in your quest to get bigger and stronger.

Dante Trudel/ Doggcrapp- Dante is a well known trainer from Southern California who has gained an enormous cult like following on the internet due to the success of his training programs. His clients gain an average of 47 pounds of muscle in their first year. Total number of sets per workout? 5-8.[/i]

The general consensus around here is that particular style of training is inadequate for bodybuilding goals.
That’s the consensus? He generally uses lower workout volume than many T-Nation programs, but I’d hardly call his style “inadequate.”

I’m not exactly saying that’s what I think. I’m saying that if you polled the members of this forum, that’s what the majority would say.

I’m not exactly saying that’s what I think. I’m saying that if you polled the members of this forum, that’s what the majority would say.

Some feel that the lack of isolation exercises and 3 training days per week are not fit for bodybuilding.[/quote]

Isolation exercises aren’t neglected. He still includes curls, shrugs, calf raises, and triceps extension variations, but they’re considered secondary to bigger movements like cleans, rows, squats, and pull-ups.

As for training days, while he’s very big on recovery methods, most of his programs have three or four training days per week, and he does recommend active recovery training sessions.

Just for squirts and giggles, here’s the first workout of Maximum Mass 2, designed for more advanced lifters. (On the off chance Jason sees this, hope he doesn’t mind my sharing).

A1) Clean and press 2x5-8
A2) Chin-up 1x5-8
B1) Incline dumbbell press 2x5-8
B2) Bent barbell row 1x8-10
C) Face pull 2x8-10
D1) Lying triceps extension 2x8-10
D2) Hammer curl 1x8-10

There are three more workouts in the week: another for chest/back/shoulders/arms and two for lower body/abs/neck.

P.S. - Your name/avatar freakin’ rock. Kudos to you, good sir.

I am doing his max mass program now and it is amazing. In 3 months of this program I have:
gained 12 pounds

Squat max went from 215 to 265

bent over barbell rows went from 115x7reps to 170x7 reps

in the first 6 weeks my dumbbell bench press went from doing reps with 55’s to reps with 75’s

Go for it, it is the best program I have done for size, strength or for athletes. I have tried alot of different programs but this is by far the best.

[quote]hockeylifter7 wrote:
I am doing his max mass program now and it is amazing. In 3 months of this program I have:
gained 12 pounds

Squat max went from 215 to 265

bent over barbell rows went from 115x7reps to 170x7 reps

in the first 6 weeks my dumbbell bench press went from doing reps with 55’s to reps with 75’s

Go for it, it is the best program I have done for size, strength or for athletes. I have tried alot of different programs but this is by far the best.[/quote]

by looking at your numbers, you are a beginner.

i am not interested in beginner gains…

i feel i have taken that program to its limit and train in a much different way now.

I have Jason’s information products. I even have his first one, Get Jacked! That one was more focused on total body workouts and higher volume.

I would not say that his material is inadequate for bodybuilding as his routines are great for the beginner, in my opinion. I would think its more accurate to say that his material is NOT OPTIMAL for pure bodybuilding. He does include isolation exercises for triceps, biceps, calves, and traps, but then again, most of the exercises available for these muscles are isolation exercises.

If I remember correctly, he does not advise readers to follow bodypart splits, once-per-week frequency for each muscle, and other isolation exercises (flyes, rear delt raises, leg extensions, leg curls, and so on). Nearly all effective bodybuilding routines use low frequency and isolation exercises for every muscle group.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I have Jason’s information products. I even have his first one, Get Jacked! That one was more focused on total body workouts and higher volume.

I would not say that his material is inadequate for bodybuilding as his routines are great for the beginner, in my opinion. I would think its more accurate to say that his material is NOT OPTIMAL for pure bodybuilding. He does include isolation exercises for triceps, biceps, calves, and traps, but then again, most of the exercises available for these muscles are isolation exercises.

If I remember correctly, he does not advise readers to follow bodypart splits, once-per-week frequency for each muscle, and other isolation exercises (flyes, rear delt raises, leg extensions, leg curls, and so on). Nearly all effective bodybuilding routines use low frequency and isolation exercises for every muscle group. [/quote]

that’s exactly what i was trying to say…

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

If I remember correctly, he does not advise readers to follow bodypart splits, once-per-week frequency for each muscle, and other isolation exercises (flyes, rear delt raises, leg extensions, leg curls, and so on). Nearly all effective bodybuilding routines use low frequency and isolation exercises for every muscle group. [/quote]

Would you say his stuff is worth the “$77 for everything!” offer he’s currently advertizing?

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

If I remember correctly, he does not advise readers to follow bodypart splits, once-per-week frequency for each muscle, and other isolation exercises (flyes, rear delt raises, leg extensions, leg curls, and so on). Nearly all effective bodybuilding routines use low frequency and isolation exercises for every muscle group.

Would you say his stuff is worth the “$77 for everything!” offer he’s currently advertizing?[/quote]

it depends…if you’ve never picked up a dumbbell before, go for it. if you’ve been lifting for years and know what you’re doing, you probably don’t need it. you might learn some useful tips from reading the e-book.

i felt that the best part of the deal was the access to the members only forum. however, jay doesn’t participate on there as much as he used to.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Would you say his stuff is worth the “$77 for everything!” offer he’s currently advertizing?[/quote]

I have read both of his e-book (didn’t buy them) and can honestly tell you that you won’t learn anything more than all the articles on this site.

It is true that you can find his information elsewhere. It doesn’t mean its not worth his fee. Many books and articles contain the same information. It does not mean they are not worth their fees, even if some of them are free. If an author is an expert on something, it means it took him a long time to become an expert and a hefty amount of education and experience. And sometimes people don’t want to search free information. They rather pay and get it right there with a mouse click.

it depends…if you’ve never picked up a dumbbell before, go for it. if you’ve been lifting for years and know what you’re doing, you probably don’t need it. you might learn some useful tips from reading the e-book.

i felt that the best part of the deal was the access to the members only forum. however, jay doesn’t participate on there as much as he used to.
[/quote]

I had access to the members only forum. I remember you from there and I remember back then Jay couldn’t really help you cause you were already too advanced for the program (probably around february or march or so). After a week or two of the forum being up he seemed to stop participating actively… I stopped posting around then. I’m pretty sure I had the same username.

His book and “Pumping Iron” was the basis of my training knowledge for a good 2 or 3 months before I discovered T-Nation. It was worth the money for me because I was literally clueless before I read his book.