Jason Ferruggia's Blog Entry

It’s a friggin’ blog post - not something more polished. Take it in the spirit it was written. The theme is simply: “Stop worrying about all of this stupid shit and work out.” It is a theme often seen on the board when guys write: “Squats and milk,” or “Eat more, lift more.”

The blog is written in such a way that it is meant to grab your attention and to really make you think about all the supplements you are taking.

I don’t think he means that everyone should stop taking all supplements immediately, but, and I agree, some people rely too much on supplements. They expect to get huge or ripped just b/c they’re taking a certain “stack” of supplements, and they’re missing the big point: you have to put the work in at the gym to achieve results.

Outside of the gym, you need to eat properly (whether it be dieting or bulking) to achieve your desired aesthetic goals.

I do agree that it is extremely difficult to prepare 6 quality meals a day everyday and that there are some supplements that do help in that regards. But, I also think spending half of your paycheck on supplements is wasteful, too. Like the example with the PWO shake.

Yes, Surge is great but for those who can’t afford it all the time, there’s nothing wrong with using chocolate milk and maybe add in a scoop of unflavored whey.

It is refreshing to see someone debunking some of the myths regarding all the supplement use. Some writers/coaches will have you believe that in order to reach your goals you need to spend $500/month on supplements.

Well, hes pretty firm and says he will stand by it… so i dont just think its an attempt to grab attention. He’s purist.

On paper i agree. You don’t need any supplements. However they do come in handy. I dont think they “suck”. Just that they are overused.

Its also weird
Sugar = macronutrient / has calories = food

Olive Oil = macronutrient / has calories = food

Protein powder = macronutrient / has calories = “supplement”

What the fuck. Maybe we should consider the low fat chocolate milk hes drinking to be a supplement. Its not naturally like that. Has added processed macronutes (sugar) aswell as plant extracts (coco). Its also had one macronutrient remove (fat).

Besides in the classic nutrition model “junk” food is supposed to only supplement a diet anyway ;). Its all in how you view what you eat. He says that PWO are useless because they dont replenish glycogen? Didnt Berardi state from the begginning that your not trying to restore glycogen? can you say strawman?

Protein, fish oil, Bcaa’s are just processed foods. Not really needed, but if it makes your life easier, why not use it?

FYI, Jason clarifies his previous blog posting (not that he backs down from it at all, but adds a little more context):

Nice avatar! Maravich was the MAN!

First this:
“So I ran out of protein powder about two weeks ago and decided to take a quick ride to the supplement store to grab a new bottle”.

And then this:
“I just prefer to get everything I need through a good, well rounded organic diet.”

I love it when you get nuggets like “don’t believe shit you read” from someone who’s encouraging you to buy their book. I get it, shock value and all, but it’s just got to feel weird doing it.

So I HAVE been keeping the right vices :slight_smile:

Looks like Feruggia’s doing the “angry young man” schtick. He is using the no supplements I’m a beer drinkin SOB as a “gimmick” to differentiate himself from other trainers attempting to sell ebooks.

I’m pretty old school in a lot of ways, but a whey shake is just a lot more convenient than baking up some chicken. And you could put whey in your low fat chocolate milk if you wanted. In fact, I do.

You can’t go wrong with simple protein sources (even if they’re a "supplement) and decent vitamins IMO.

Protein Powder makes breakfast much easier.

A berry/banana/yogurt protein shake is quicker to prepare than meat and eggs.

I never really feel like chocking down a hunk of meat in the morning.

[quote]Drew0786 wrote:
Looks like Feruggia’s doing the “angry young man” schtick. He is using the no supplements I’m a beer drinkin SOB as a “gimmick” to differentiate himself from other trainers attempting to sell ebooks.

I’m pretty old school in a lot of ways, but a whey shake is just a lot more convenient than baking up some chicken. And you could put whey in your low fat chocolate milk if you wanted. In fact, I do.

You can’t go wrong with simple protein sources (even if they’re a "supplement) and decent vitamins IMO.

[/quote]

Well, there is some of that in his post, but I would not take it to be some kind of shtick. He even admits he is doing it a bit for effect to shake up people who tend to buy into dogma or hype too easily.

Personally, I like a small, well-selected group of supplements. Protein powder, Surge and Flameout just make things a ton easier, especially on days where I am on the go and did a crappy job of planning my food for the day.

Even though I am making a concerted effort to plan better so I can eat more whole, natural food sources, I would never go completely away from using supplements to… well… supplement.